Status of pool in other countries: any msgs rec’d from amateur/pro players there?

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a lot of AZBers are in semi-regular contact with players from other countries. I wondered what the pool rooms in their particular country and neighboring countries are presently doing (or planning to do) in these CoVid times?

And plenty of players from abroad regularly post to AZB forums and may wish to add to the conversation with any reports about the present pool scene in their country.

Thanks in advance.

Arnaldo

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Other countries. Other than what?

Oh, that’s right. The ‘A’ in AZBilliards stands for America. 🇺🇸

In my part of Canada, billiards is closed. However, restaurants opening with restrictions. Bars in restaurants closed but other facilities open with expected social distancing. Starting Monday you can shoot pool on your own or with a household member.

People have been good at social distancing. I personally wouldn’t play billiards on a public table ( or go into a restaurant) but it’s an individual choice. Things will be closed again if it doesn’t go well.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
. . . In my part of Canada, billiards is closed. However, restaurants opening with restrictions. Bars in restaurants closed but other facilities open with expected social distancing. Starting Monday you can shoot pool on your own or with a household member.

. . . I personally wouldn’t play billiards on a public table . . . but it’s an individual choice. Things will be closed again if it doesn’t go well.

I fully agree with your comments (blue-fonted) relating to public tables. Given un-sanitized communally-shared tables, balls, chalks, racks, etc. and non-HVAC quality air filters in most establishments -- the risks are simply too high at present even when playing solo or with a household member. It will be akin to Russian roulette with the considerable probability that you're unnecessarily facing eventual exposure to Covid particles shedded by both asymptomatic carriers and clinically-Positive previous users of all the available playing equipment.

Things in all probability will not go well with most of these much-too-early openings in the US and elsewhere, and the official upward trending daily reports on the Covid's newly-accelerating spread will (IMO) sadly reflect the so-avoidable physical ruin wrought by many of these early openings.

Best to err on the side of caution till the advent of proven vaccines and associated treatments. Pool will always be there, and logically you must be alive to enjoy the game (and enjoy your loved your loved ones) when the time is right.

Arnaldo

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know Taiwan has some pool halls open. I don't know all the restrictions, but they aren't all closed.

As far as the virus goes, Taiwan has probably been the most successful in keeping the numbers down.

Taiwan has only had 432 cases with 6 deaths for the entire country of about 25 million people living on top of each other.

Last edited:

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know Taiwan has some pool halls open. I don't know all the restrictions, but they aren't all closed.

As far as the virus goes, Taiwan had probably been the most successful in keeping the numbers down.

Taiwan has only had 432 cases with 6 deaths for the entire country of about 25 million people living on top of each other.
Thanks for this stimulating post, HE. I was motivated to find info elaborating their inarguably successful approach.

Per the below article it's quite apparent how effectively, promptly and thoroughly they've thought this all out -- then aggressively (and cooperatively) implemented their solutions:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/taiwanese-authorities-stay-vigilant-virus-crisis-eases-n1188781

Ultra-smart people. And more than a few of their countermeasures -- with cultural modifications -- could readily be implemented here in the US and elsewhere.

Arnaldo

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Other countries. Other than what?

Oh, that’s right. The ‘A’ in AZBilliards stands for America. 🇺🇸

In my part of Canada, billiards is closed. However, restaurants opening with restrictions. Bars in restaurants closed but other facilities open with expected social distancing. Starting Monday you can shoot pool on your own or with a household member.

People have been good at social distancing. I personally wouldn’t play billiards on a public table ( or go into a restaurant) but it’s an individual choice. Things will be closed again if it doesn’t go well.

Believe Az Billiards actually stand for, everything Billiards from A - Z, AZHousePro lives in Arizona. But his web-site covers the World of Billiards.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

As far as the virus goes, Taiwan had probably been the most successful in keeping the numbers down.

Taiwan got their act together, and made Tiwain safe.

SpiderWeb

iisgone@yahoo.com
Silver Member
In medellin every place is closed. Sometimes the owner come in for a few hours, and when he cracks the door we rush in like cock roaches. Best room in all of of central and south america. I think its safer here than the us at this time.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taiwan got their act together, and made Tiwain safe.

this appears to be accurate
I've been keeping in touch with a pal in kaohsiung
he says pretty much everybody is on the same page there
distancing, and being generally mindful/careful
it looks like the government is chipping in well enough
some neat ideas in the article arnaldo posted