Has your local pool hall (here in the US) opened back up yet?

Here in New Orleans, the government officials have extended the lock down on all non essential businesses for another month, until around the 16th of May.

We have already been on lock down, since around March 17th, and now we are looking at at least another month, before non essential businesses are allowed to reopen.

I am just curious if any local governments here in the US have allowed non essential businesses, to include bars and pool halls, to open back up yet.

This is not meant to be an NPR type of question.

I am only curious if any pool halls in the US are open to the public.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here in New Orleans, the government officials have extended the lock down on all non essential businesses for another month, until around the 16th of May.

We have already been on lock down, since around March 17th, and now we are looking at at least another month, before non essential businesses are allowed to reopen.

I am just curious if any local governments here in the US have allowed non essential businesses, to include bars and pool halls, to open back up yet.

Gonna travel to one if it is? I don't know of any that are open.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Only essential businesses are open in Arizona. Think the Governor is looking at a plan for opening some businesses around May 1st, 2020.

Don't know what some means.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe by Memorial Day Weekend in CA.

There will some limitation on the number of patrons allowed to assemble in public.

I think cue-makers should start offering custom made face masks instead of T-shirts.

The likelihood is face masks will be mandated for awhile so why not advertise your cues?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even when they do start re-opening a lot of people are going to be leery,and should be, of being in a closed-in area close to others. I've got a friend that just got a nice GC1 so i'll be going there probably but i'm in zero hurry to go back in a pool room. Look, until there is a vaccine most indoor businesses are going to continue to suffer. Restaurants in my area are doing pretty good business on take-out and deliver but there are bars and poolrooms that may not re-open.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
People could play during low number times if the tables and cloth had been sprayed
with disinfectant but as long as people are breathing in a space you're not 100% safe. Just a sad fact.
I'm thinking outdoor pool table.

Even when they do start re-opening a lot of people are going to be leery,and should be, of being in a closed-in area close to others. I've got a friend that just got a nice GC1 so i'll be going there probably but i'm in zero hurry to go back in a pool room. Look, until there is a vaccine most indoor businesses are going to continue to suffer. Restaurants in my area are doing pretty good business on take-out and deliver but there are bars and poolrooms that may not re-open.

Pool halls have always been pretty dead in the day time anyways, with far less then 10 people in them.

Why not allow the pool halls to reopen, but put a 10 person cap on how many people can enter?

The Grocery stores allow huge numbers of people to enter their store, and I can't walk down any isles without running into someone, or having to pass them.

Social distancing is really hard.

Anyways, it is a bummer that there is not some way that pool halls can't be open. It is not like this virus is airborne. Social distancing measures should be good enough.

I could buy a pool table, but the cost of having it delivered and set up is the really expensive part.

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
None open and they are not allowed to since it's not an essential business.

I will probably go to meet some friends, if and when, they open.

Maybe by Memorial Day Weekend in CA.

There will some limitation on the number of patrons allowed to assemble in public.

I think cue-makers should start offering custom made face masks instead of T-shirts.

The likelihood is face masks will be mandated for awhile so why not advertise your cues?

Lol, these new face masks that I see everyone wearing makes them look like they are about to go into a bank to rob the place.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Lol, these new face masks that I see everyone wearing makes them look like they are about to go into a bank to rob the place.

I do not think a face mask, or bandana who be asking too much. Think it might be the way to open up Pool Rooms.

Yes there would be a learning cure trying to get use to a face make, or bandana. But it sure beat staying on the side lines.

Might see some intresting fashion statements.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Face coverings dont provide reasonable protection They only keep large spittle from exiting the wearer's mouth/ nose.

please dont rush the return to normalcy, fools. there's no pool for dead people.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before this virus hit so hard, pool rooms in Fresno that opened early (11am)
drew more than 10 customers during the afternoon. By noon, you’d see the
senior players rolling in and the farming crowd. The Central Valley of CA is
the largest, most prodigious agricultural region in the USA. So work schedules
will naturally vary, as it does with the many local food processors in the Valley.

Lots of staggered shift, night employees find daytime pool the only time they get
to play unless they had a day off. The pool rooms offer a daily rate or a monthly
membership. Where I was playing, until the virus hit, the daily rate is $6 and the
monthly membership is $30 which allows play from 11 am thru 7 pm when league
and tournaments are held. Any league player is entitled to 2 hrs of practice per day
free of charge. Daytime pool does have a following but it too will suffer from this virus.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
What a nice discount and in California!

Before this virus hit so hard, pool rooms in Fresno that opened early (11am)
drew more than 10 customers during the afternoon. By noon, you’d see the
senior players rolling in and the farming crowd. The Central Valley of CA is
the largest, most prodigious agricultural region in the USA. So work schedules
will naturally vary, as it does with the many local food processors in the Valley.

Lots of staggered shift, night employees find daytime pool the only time they get
to play unless they had a day off. The pool rooms offer a daily rate or a monthly
membership. Where I was playing, until the virus hit, the daily rate is $6 and the
monthly membership is $30 which allows play from 11 am thru 7 pm when league
and tournaments are held. Any league player is entitled to 2 hrs of practice per day
free of charge. Daytime pool does have a following but it too will suffer from this virus.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Pool Room owners are hurting like many Americans, their bills go on, hopefully they can open on a limited basis first, then hopefully soon return to full operation.

The longer they stay closed, the better chances they will never reopen.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I didn't think Buffalo's had a key to lock the doors! lol

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool halls have always been pretty dead in the day time anyways, with far less then 10 people in them.

Why not allow the pool halls to reopen, but put a 10 person cap on how many people can enter?

The Grocery stores allow huge numbers of people to enter their store, and I can't walk down any isles without running into someone, or having to pass them.

Social distancing is really hard.

Anyways, it is a bummer that there is not some way that pool halls can't be open. It is not like this virus is airborne. Social distancing measures should be good enough.

I could buy a pool table, but the cost of having it delivered and set up is the really expensive part.
HUH???? There is NO way to run a safe poolroom until there is a vaccine. Poolrooms historically have not been the the most hygenic places to start with. How are they going to sterilize cues, balls ,cloth etc? Even if allowed what room owner is going to re-open if only 10 people can come in?? Cheaper to stay closed than to fade electric bills etc. when only a handful can be in it. Face it, they are not essential businesses and will be pretty far down the list of places that re-open. If they re-open.

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool room is a breeding crowd for the virus. You touch balls, you touch the damn table while bent over. Basically breathing in whatever germs and elements on the table. It's a disaster.

You want to limit exposure and everything you touch and pool hall is not good.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool room is a breeding crowd for the virus. You touch balls, you touch the damn table while bent over. Basically breathing in whatever germs and elements on the table. It's a disaster.

You want to limit exposure and everything you touch and pool hall is not good.

Yep. Agree 100%. Sad but true.

I didn't think Buffalo's had a key to lock the doors! lol

Lol, they finally had no choice but to use that key.

The owner has a few employees who have been doing a lot of remodeling during this time, like painting, and recovering all of the tables. I am not sure, but from the sound of his posts, his employees seem to actually live at the pool hall. Maybe he has an apartment there for his employees.

I really like his posts, on facebook. His posts are funny, and interesting. His name is, James Leone.

Last edited: