Has your local pool hall (here in the US) opened back up yet?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
In 1542, the Portuguese came to Taiwan and then referred to it as "Ilha Formosa", which means "beautiful island".

In Chinese, the name Taiwan is composed of two characters; the first meaning, "stage" or "terrace," and the second, "bay" or "gulf." (terraced bay)

I lived in Taiwan and have been going there since 1973. I have relatives there and I communicate with Taiwan almost daily. I was there for two weeks last April.

Qing dynasty scholars referred to Taiwan as a "mud ball in the sea," as the emperor Kangxi labeled Taiwan.

Today I learn som,etching from above post. :thumbup:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
To keep things simple, if you local favorite Pool Room, Pool Bar, or place you personally play Pool opens for business. No one says you must go, must support the business, or even have to stick your nose in the door.

Life is full of choice, each of us must live our live how we fell comfortable living. Know people who assembled Cars or Trucks at GM, 30 years. No way in h***, I could do that.

Factory work was not my cup of tea. Than goodness some people did assembly car n trucks.:thumbup:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
This kind of what you are trying to say?

To keep things simple, if you local favorite Pool Room, Pool Bar, or place you personally play Pool opens for business. No one says you must go, must support the business, or even have to stick your nose in the door.

Life is full of choice, each of us must live our live how we fell comfortable living. Know people who assembled Cars or Trucks at GM, 30 years. No way in h***, I could do that.

Factory work was not my cup of tea. Than goodness some people did assembly car n trucks.:thumbup:

Detroit City, Bobby Bare
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXoez_ffhRc

A lot of songs about or at least mention detroit and assembly lines. Damned few have good things to say. On the other hand, I do know people that put in careers on assembly lines, raised families, sent children to college and a better life. The pay is somewhere between good and great depending on what you are used to getting. I have talked to people in their forties that have never made above minimum wage.

I hired a pure blood indian that I had been playing pool and drinking beer with for many years when my boss said hire anyone and give them journeyman wages, he had to have warm bodies now! I hired Chief, first time in his life he made more than minimum wage. Just realized, I didn't ever know his name. Of course he didn't know mine either. I was Hu for many many years, still am to most people.

Hu

middleofnowhere

Registered

Thats true but the chances of exposure to the virus in an environment like a pool room is like 100%. At that point you may very well become an angel of death to the right person.

I just read a story of a group of old guys who continued to get together to play cards. All got the versus and three are dead now.
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/corona...0200414-atv34aun7fhf7atucntor63jee-story.html

Me personally, I have a Gold Crown in the house and can get my fix of pool but there is zero chance I would ever go in a pool room for a hell of a long time. I am sorry to say many pool rooms will not survive. I have owned three and it is a tough starvation business at best anyway.

Years ago when bowling allies were closing there was a saying. For everyone that closes no new one opens. This could very well signal the end to the classic pool room as we know it. Pool for the most part is played in bars now anyway. It has been dying for a long time, it would not take much to drive in the final nail.

came

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
My favorite place never closes, although it's very exclusive lately. Until we get an immunization in place, I'm not going anywhere.
067b205964e6a23e02840dbe2697765b.jpg

Sent from the future.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I recently read from a few members on here, the MIT cues are from Taiwan, and are very good quality.

https://pooltables.co.th/pool-cues/mit-pool-cues

Sounds like one of the members on here is a dealer of them, and has some in stock.

Nice cues. You know what though, not real crazy about white joints. Just a visual thing. :shrug: Thanks though. Browsing through the Asian sites is mostly a crap shoot unless you start a dialogue at which point you're prolly trapped. :wink:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice cues. You know what though, not real crazy about white joints. Just a visual thing. :shrug: Thanks though. Browsing through the Asian sites is mostly a crap shoot unless you start a dialogue at which point you're prolly trapped. :wink:
MIT has a big range of cues. Not all have white joints. Very well made. I had a plain-jane merry widow that played really good.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, I feel like an idiot again.

I did not even think about the fact that everything that people touch, the virus can live on for a very long time before it dies or gets cleaned off.

I feel so silly now.

You made a great point.

Now I completely understand why restaurants can't allow anyone to sit down, and why parks are closed, and why everything else that is non essential is closed.

Strangely, they allow the pawn shops to remain open though.

Those places are filled with very dirty people, and very dirty things for sale, and the employees are not even wearing masks.
I agree but pawn shops are considered"financial institutions" in most states and are still open. A lot of people may be pawning their stuff right now. May have to go hunt some deals myself.

Thats true but the chances of exposure to the virus in an environment like a pool room is like 100%. At that point you may very well become an angel of death to the right person.

I just read a story of a group of old guys who continued to get together to play cards. All got the versus and three are dead now.
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/corona...0200414-atv34aun7fhf7atucntor63jee-story.html

Me personally, I have a Gold Crown in the house and can get my fix of pool but there is zero chance I would ever go in a pool room for a hell of a long time. I am sorry to say many pool rooms will not survive. I have owned three and it is a tough starvation business at best anyway.

Years ago when bowling allies were closing there was a saying. For everyone that closes no new one opens. This could very well signal the end to the classic pool room as we know it. Pool for the most part is played in bars now anyway. It has been dying for a long time, it would not take much to drive in the final nail.

came

Oh, great, that is just wonderful. Thanks to this horrid Virus outbreak, pool halls are now done for, and the memory of getting together for tournaments is now over with.

I guess we might not ever see another DCC, or any other big pool events again.

The thought of no more public pool is just really depressing.

I can just imagine it now, if there are ever any public tournaments again. Everyone will be wearing masks, and social distancing.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, great, that is just wonderful. Thanks to this horrid Virus outbreak, pool halls are now done for, and the memory of getting together for tournaments is now over with.

I guess we might not ever see another DCC, or any other big pool events again.

The thought of no more public pool is just really depressing.

I can just imagine it now, if there are ever any public tournaments again. Everyone will be wearing masks, and social distancing.
Look, the flu has been around a long time and there is a vaccine/treatment for it. The world continued even with the flu. Once a vaccine and treatment is available it will be the same with this. One possible positive is people(hopefully!!) will be much more aware of simple hygiene and keeping things clean. Also disease control/monitoring is going to much more pro-active after this. I don't think pool will die but it will take a while to bounce back.

Yeah, I do not like the look of them either. I just heard they are a really great value for the quality of cue that you get. I seen these MIT cues too, but I have no idea where an English site is that sells them to US customers. I would much rather buy directly from the source then through a dealer, who is going to mark the price up much higher then factory direct prices.

Attachments

• MIT.jpg
    MIT.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 202

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I do not like the look of them either. I just heard they are a really great value for the quality of cue that you get. I seen these MIT cues too, but I have no idea where an English site is that sells them to US customers. I would much rather buy directly from the source then through a dealer, who is going to mark the price up much higher then factory direct prices.
They have a FB page and answer pretty quick usually. I've gotten price quotes that way. https://www.facebook.com/Mit-Cues-883149998536639/

I agree but pawn shops are considered"financial institutions" in most states and are still open. A lot of people may be pawning their stuff right now. May have to go hunt some deals myself.

I went in a pawn shop recently, that is usually filled with laptops, and it was so strange to find that they only had a few laptops left for sale.

It was so strange, because these are laptops that I seen sitting there for months, unsold, then this virus outbreak happens, and everyone is buying them up, at any price, no matter how unreasonable the asking price is / was.

Look, the flu has been around a long time and there is a vaccine/treatment for it. The world continued even with the flu. Once a vaccine and treatment is available it will be the same with this. One possible positive is people(hopefully!!) will be much more aware of simple hygiene and keeping things clean. Also disease control/monitoring is going to much more pro-active after this. I don't think pool will die but it will take a while to bounce back.

Sorry for the NPR reply, but why is it that we live in a society that always waits too long to act on serious issues? They knew about the virus outbreak getting out of hand in China, and did not seem to do anything about it, until people here in the US started getting infected. They should have closed down all international travel as soon as they learned about the virus getting out of hand.

The same with Bridges here. They always wait until some disaster happens before they repair them.

The same with preparing with the bet possible defenses against flooding. They wait until a devastating hurricane (like Katrina) to hit before they realize that they need much better protection against flooding.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for the NPR reply, but why is it that we live in a society that always waits too long to act on serious issues? They knew about the virus outbreak getting out of hand in China, and did not seem to do anything about it, until people here in the US started getting infected. They should have closed down all international travel as soon as they learned about the virus getting out of hand.

The same with Bridges here. They always wait until some disaster happens before they repair them.

The same with preparing with the bet possible defenses against flooding. They wait until a devastating hurricane (like Katrina) to hit before they realize that they need much better protection against flooding.

And you waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited to get a nice pool cue and still don't have one. Why is that? The same reason the government can't do everything. There isn't enough money for that.

When you get out of the basement, get a job, and go campaign and get elected, you can maybe help the government set the priorities of what the money is spent and where.

You talk "pie in the sky" nonsense.

I can fix your bridge, but I may have to raise taxes in order to do it. The taxes may be so high then that you can't afford a car to drive and ride over the bridge. Whoops, I forgot you don't have a car.

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sorry, but most of this is just incorrect.

The fact of the matter is that the WHO told the U.S. that there was no danger of human-to-human transmission, and some other lies initially. In other words, they completely downplayed the dangers of this virus, so our government didn't have the correct information about COVID-19 at the beginning. Once the first case in the U.S. was discovered, IIRC, there was only about two weeks before Trump declared his travel ban.

As for hurricanes, just what do you think levees are for? All hurricanes are "devastating,' chum. Katrina was an outlier. Larger and more intense than 99% of hurricanes ever recorded. No one plans for that scenario. It'd be like planning to get hit my a meteor.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Get your facts straight first. As previous poster said the Chinese and WHO flat out lied. Now with the new info that China released it to prove their medical prowess is even more damning. First U.S. case wasn't reported til Jan. 19th. and travel restrictions started two weeks later. No one knew how contagious this is or as we are finding out now, done on purpose. Its is like trying to pre-plan for a tornado or a lightning strike. We're all experts in hindsight.

Last edited:

middleofnowhere

Registered
Sorry, but most of this is just incorrect.

The fact of the matter is that the WHO told the U.S. that there was no danger of human-to-human transmission, and some other lies initially. In other words, they completely downplayed the dangers of this virus, so our government didn't have the correct information about COVID-19 at the beginning. Once the first case in the U.S. was discovered, IIRC, there was only about two weeks before Trump declared his travel ban.

As for hurricanes, just what do you think levees are for? All hurricanes are "devastating,' chum. Katrina was an outlier. Larger and more intense than 99% of hurricanes ever recorded. No one plans for that scenario. It'd be like planning to get hit my a meteor.

Who cares what they say or if they lie. We always know what is going on all over the world. When China takes a sh!t we know what hand they wipe their a$$ with. To try to say we require them to tell us what we already know or should know is a weak excuse for lack of action and quite honestly an embarrassment to the rest of the world..

If true, then everything that is believed about the US to the world is little more then a lie and fake persona. We are just weak phonies. I don't believe that and neither do you.