What about 10 Ball

Bucknut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering with a lot of the action going to 10 Ball what do you think chances are that they may make the change to 10 Ball? I think I would like to see that change. What do you all think?

dedstroke38

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've wondered the same thing and I agree. Though I think the history and prestige of the event will keep it the way it is.

Bucknut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking of replacing 9 ball with 10 ball. I just think that when we were sweating the action I saw alot more 10 ball than 9 ball. With this tournament being noted for the action. I thought the tournament should follow that trend. I understand the Fatboy Challenge is there and it is a great event. Just thought I would see if anyone else agreed with me o disagreed for that matter. Not saying i'm right, just trying to stir up ideas.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
I was thinking of replacing 9 ball with 10 ball. I just think that when we were sweating the action I saw alot more 10 ball than 9 ball. With this tournament being noted for the action. I thought the tournament should follow that trend. I understand the Fatboy Challenge is there and it is a great event. Just thought I would see if anyone else agreed with me o disagreed for that matter. Not saying i'm right, just trying to stir up ideas.

You are right, I have been watching the pro's argue about the nine ball rack for years I have succesfully convinced the tournament director here in my hometown to change the local 9 ball tournament to ten. Ten ball is the answer as it is not based on a rack mechanics trick shot contests - but as I have said before some people are petrified of change (they need others approval before they can learn to be comfortable when they are in doubt.) The banks should also be changed to the ten ball rack as well, this puts a stop to the soft break problem that is evident in 9 ball competition plus it will not slow the event down in the long run ie less re-racking and or arguing which hurts the game and gives the nits a chance to pull a move so as to create drama. Unfortunately this is what some players have to resort to when they are feeling weak. This is a great event either way for the fans and players to see an all around format of many champions competing. I just wished they would let go of the white knuckle grip of the 9 ball rack and the constant problem with the corner/wing ball. Some people are under the opinion that it takes talent to be a rack mechanic, I would beg to differ and am open for a debate to anyone who feels otherwise. I guess I have too much time on my hands.

Last edited:
Reactions: "T"

John Brumback

Silver Member
You are right, I have been watching the pro's argue about the nine ball rack for years I have succesfully convinced the tournament director here in my hometown to change the local 9 ball tournament to ten. Ten ball is the answer as it is not based on a rack mechanics trick shot contests - but as I have said before some people are petrified of change (they need others approval before they can learn to be comfortable when they are in doubt.) The banks should also be changed to the ten ball rack as well, this puts a stop to the soft break problem that is evident in 9 ball competition plus it will not slow the event down in the long run ie less re-racking and or arguing which hurts the game and gives the nits a chance to pull a move so as to create drama. Unfortunately this is what some players have to resort to when they are feeling weak. This is a great event either way for the fans and players to see an all around format of many champions competing. I just wished they would let go of the white knuckle grip of the 9 ball rack and the constant problem with the corner/wing ball. Some people are under the opinion that it takes talent to be a rack mechanic, I would beg to differ and am open for a debate to anyone who feels otherwise. I guess I have too much time on my hands.

Danny,I hate all the old racking tricks too.What about the magic rack? Putting It somewhere so the corner ball does not go straight In? It takes a cheater to be a rack mechanic,IMO John B.

SLIM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want change, do something.

at the derby next year, find greg & let him know that you would like to see the addition of or the change to 10 ball.
If enough people let him know that the change is wanted maybe he would consider it.

I do know from experience that he does appreciate input & feed back from derby goers, plus he is just a good guy to talk to.

SLIM

John Brumback

Silver Member
at the derby next year, find greg & let him know that you would like to see the addition of or the change to 10 ball.
If enough people let him know that the change is wanted maybe he would consider it.

I do know from experience that he does appreciate input & feed back from derby goers, plus he is just a good guy to talk to.

SLIM

He's not going to change from 9ball to 10ball,IMO, but maybe how they are racked.John B.

SLIM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're right

the best thing to do is discuss it here & know that nothing will change.

Sorry for the input.

SLIM

John Brumback

Silver Member
the best thing to do is discuss it here & know that nothing will change.

Sorry for the input.

SLIM

I'm just not going to be a knocker.Don't you think Greg might read this?
Acutally,I like It just the way It Is.I do however think there might be a better way to rack the balls.Thanks for your Input.John B.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much different do you guys think the time window would be?

Same 2 players, race to 9. 9ball vs 10ball.

I think the quick answer is 10 ball taking longer but Danny/John bring up good points about the bickering actually might make 9ball longer.

I would still have to think the same 10ball set might take a tad longer.

I think the better the players, the less the time gap from 9 to 10ball. For the lower level players, 10ball might take much much longer. I would be curious what Danny and John think.

Ian

Last edited:

John Brumback

Silver Member
How much different do you guys think the time window would be?

Same 2 players, race to 9. 9ball vs 10ball.

I think the quick answer is 10 ball taking longer but Danny/John bring up good points about the bickering actually might make 9ball longer.

I would still have to think the same 10ball set might take a tad longer.

I think the better the players, the less the time gap from 9 to 10ball. For the lower level players, 10ball might take much much longer. I would be curious what Danny and John think.

Ian

Well with all the racking problems..about the same.Yes for better players not much difference.For the not so good players,would take alot longer,IMO.John B.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
The magic rack is a fine idea for ten ball

Danny,I hate all the old racking tricks too.What about the magic rack? Putting It somewhere so the corner ball does not go straight In? It takes a cheater to be a rack mechanic,IMO John B.

I acknowledge the point your making about the magic rack, the fact remains that we cannot stop the constant wing ball problem. I have seen many people argue pertaining to the dreaded wing ball that is associated with 9 ball. There were no problems when we used the magic rack out in Vegas, but I give credit to the recent change of ten ball more than any racking device. I did like the magic rack but please believe me when I say I have exhausted all the options and if they continue to play 9 ball there will always be someone trying to cheat if not many - (I have nothing up the sleeve.) They may try to do the same playing ten ball - however they will stand out like a soar toe in a magnifying glass if they choose to do so ie the balls should be tapped in place lightly. The only feasable answer I have heard to defend the 9 ball problem-soft break,trick shot bologni is to twist the rack to where the wing ball is the one ball. This actually might work but I still prefer the ten ball - you get to hit 'em better I think, the official or player racking the balls playing 9 ball has complete control on whether he or she would like you to make the corner ball. Playing Ten ball the player gets to make his own luck, I kinda' like the way that sounds plus it eliminates some congestion.

Last edited:

Brandon79ta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All switching to 10 ball will do is change what gaps people look for. You can still work a 10 ball rack. Anyone that watched the Jeanette Lee Larry Price match on the bar box at the derby a couple years ago seen that first hand.

Sure it will cut down on the problems for awhile but sooner or later enough people will take the time to learn how to work the rack just like they did 9 ball.

I'm sure it's been brought up in the past but why not move the rack or the spot to where when using the magic rack the wing ball doesn't go? I don't play much 9 ball, not a fan, but wouldn't moving the rack forward solve the problem? To say where you can see the spot in the gap between the 1 and the 2 balls behind it. Put another spot where the 1 actually goes on a home table so the cloth doesn't get wore out or on a tournament table just the one spot under the 1ball.

Heck in a tournament the director could probably do it and not too many people would even notice until the rack mechanics seen their tricks not working.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
All switching to 10 ball will do is change what gaps people look for. You can still work a 10 ball rack. Anyone that watched the Jeanette Lee Larry Price match on the bar box at the derby a couple years ago seen that first hand.

Sure it will cut down on the problems for awhile but sooner or later enough people will take the time to learn how to work the rack just like they did 9 ball.

I'm sure it's been brought up in the past but why not move the rack or the spot to where when using the magic rack the wing ball doesn't go? I don't play much 9 ball, not a fan, but wouldn't moving the rack forward solve the problem? To say where you can see the spot in the gap between the 1 and the 2 balls behind it. Put another spot where the 1 actually goes on a home table so the cloth doesn't get wore out or on a tournament table just the one spot under the 1ball.

Heck in a tournament the director could probably do it and not too many people would even notice until the rack mechanics seen their tricks not working.

It is all too familiar to hear people state their opinion about a subject as if they are an expert in the field of racking, note that this poster will admit to not being a fan of rotation and yet he seems to act as if changing the game to 10 ball will have no effect on the wing ball problem associated with 9 ball. I would also add that this poster ends his post by asking questions about options for 9 ball, I am a fan of rotation pool and would add that Brandon79ta is wrong about working a rack playing ten ball. In the last major 10 ball tournament I competed in I saw one ball that looked as if it went more than the normal - which is the two balls behind the one - either of which will bank cross side if hit well and racked well.

Please note that I am a fan and player of rotation so it does mean something to me to help eliminate the constant problem in 9 ball. I would rather see the ball bank in than roll slowly in the corner as if the 9 ball rack were meant for breaking softly in order to make the corner/wing ball on a direct tangent to the corner with an insane percentage. Anyone who thinks they can consistantly make the second ball bank cross side in ten ball is halucinating.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think its safe to say it's easier to gaff the 9 ball rack than 10 ball.

I think if the balls are racked honestly for both 9 & 10 ball it takes a better breaker to make a good break with shape on the 10 ball rack, SVB seems to have it down good.

As far as a change at the Drby from 9 to 10 ball, I dont think Greg will do that. I never talked to him about it, I'm just guessing he wont.:)

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
The ball does not bank

I remembered that the two object balls behind the one ball go outright, they don't have to bank and generally do not. Still to make them go we hit the rack with authority instead of the soft break (as in 9 ball) - which will only hurt the game and or make it it redundant.

Brandon79ta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 2 balls behind the 1 aren't the only balls that go when racked right. The ball in the back row one ball in from the end will go alot if the right gap is left. I might be off on which ball in the back row it is, it's been 2 years now and my memory isn't what it used to be. I do know it was going alot in that match as Jeanette's racker was putting her money ball there all night.

Does it go like a wing ball in 9ball? No. But my point was give people enough time and they will find the way.

Given the choice between 9ball the way it is and 10ball I'm all for 10ball.

The bit about moving the 9ball rack was just an idea about how to stop the wing ball. Moving the rack would cause a lot less up roar IMO then changing to 10ball. But in a tournament like the derby it would just confuse people as to which spot to use so maybe not a good move on second thought.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been shown by the best 10ball breakers there are what to do and how to do it and it aint a bargin, its still tough to do. Much harder to manipulate than 9Ball. With this in mind 10ball makes the most sense.

The next move is to put 3 more balls behind the 10 balls & play 13 ball. LOL I think the Pinoy's had it right the whole time 15 ball rotation will force honesty. I dont believe that can be gaffed very much.