Who is the Person that has influenced your Pool Life the most?

Str8PoolMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I had to narrow it down to one...

My friend Devin, in Waco, Tx. When I moved there, I though I was a pretty decent player. Then he started kicking my ass on a regular basis and taught me there were many levels above the plateau I had reached in the sport of billiards. He made me want to be a much better player. And, eventually, I was.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
My Influences

Who is the person or persons that have had the most influence in your Pool Player life? What did this person do that made a difference?

Wow this thread has gone 6 pages now so I'm going to add mine.

Lots of people with a few main players. The first would Alfred "Smitty" Smith. He found me in 1983 and carried me around a few places to show me I wasn't all that.

Norm Pruitt who asked me to play pulling me out of Pool Retirement.

Third it was Frank Tullos who showed me a dimension of Pool I hadn't considered that caused me to want to look into it, explain it fully writing books on it. From this came the explanation of Side Spin allowances, which I think is pretty cool because I've got the only one like it in the world that I know of. Frank would play banks with me and occasionally I would hit a zone where I didnt miss much because he pushed me to. I didn't know I had that in me but he brought it out.

Third and most important was my good friend Anthony Arney. He and I became sort of road partners and shared a lot of long sets of every game there was including One Pocket. Anthony is a good player and will ring game with anyone alive and playing him made me strive harder than I've ever done so before. We fought and argued like two brothers and had verbal arguments in pool rooms from Pennsylvania New Jersey and down the east coast at various times and even got barred from places together and didn't speak for several months at least at one time, but we always made up eventually. At a point we finally grew up but man talk about some hot competition! Playing him stretched my abilities as a player and as a human being. Some good memories.

Wow 6 pages. I added mine.

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had to sit back and think about this one for a bit...there are a lot of names that pop into my head of good players that shared tidbits of knowledge and helpful hints. Collectively they have had a huge influence in my game but over all I think I can narrow it down to 4 people that really molded me...

First and foremost my best friend Rick...met him about 18-19 years ago at Crown Billiards in Clearfield Ut.. I had been playing about a year and thought I was hot sh*t...Rick came in and was playing on the table next to me...he would stop and watch me shoot a couple shots as if he was sizing me up...so I started sizing him up. Next thing I know we were playing for a buck a rack. I just knew I was going to win...this sucker was going down! Well I lost my soda money and went home broke...Ran into him again a short time later and lost to him again! I didn't like this guy beating me and taking my money! In fact I didn't like that guy at all! A fire was lit and I was on a mission to beat Rick! He became a rabbit that it took me a loooong time to be able to run even with! Seemed like no matter how good I was playing I got edged out. Eventually we started shooting together a lot and continued to push each other to get better...Haven't seen Rick in since 2005 but we still size each other up when we talk on the phone...one day we'll have to find out who the rabbit is these days.

"Old Timers" Eddie and Ernie....Couple of grumpy old guys that used to come in the hall around noon. they had a routine....they would come in and play a race to 50 points (14.1) for the pool time for the day and then go join the golf game on the snooker table...it was fun to listen to them talk about the "good old days". Anyways these two guys taught me 14.1 and maybe more important than that they taught me pool etiquette...they weren't the nicest about it...like I said "grumpy old men"...but once I knew how to behave to their standards in the pool room and gained their respect as a human being they became a fountain of knowledge!

Last but not least my good friend Jeremy (RIP)...When I got stationed in upstate New York (2007-2010) there was one total dive pool room in Watertown called pounders pool hall...4 GC's in not so great condition, kind of tight quarters between the tables and nearly never any players...the pool scene seemed nonexistent until I met Jeremy. He was a much better shooter than me but would give me weight and play cheap sets...after a while we started hanging out and he showed me the pool hot spots in the area (either had to drive an hour to Syracuse or an hour and a half to Utica)...He became my new rabbit to chase and kept me motivated to improve...we went all over the north eastern United States together...played in a few stops on the joss tour, went out to PA for some tournaments...got to check out some cool pool rooms and gained a ton of experience shooting with that guy!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 187

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Earlier, I made reference to a nonfictional person as an influence.
The real person who would have effected me the most, in my early days of pool play, was a fellow named John Lamar.
I was fifteen when I first walked into a pool room. It was there I met John.
He was five, maybe six years older than I was and unlike me was out in the world and living on his own. Like your mentors he taught me shots, and kept me out of trouble at the pool hall.
But, it wasn't pool that has etched John so deeply into my memory.
When I was nineteen I had joined the Navy and was about to leave for two years of active duty aboard ship.
John wanted to give me a proper send off so made arrangements for a young lady to have me come over for a bon voyage party (if you know what I mean, and I think that you do).
Early the next morning I was dry-heaving into a bag aboard an old DC-3 headed for St. Louis to make a connection to the Naval base at Norfolk.
Sadly, I don't think I ever got a chance to thank him. He was gone by the time I got back home but now, I suppose, is as good a time as ever.
Thank you, John. RIP. :)

Last edited:

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
My little list:

'Come To The Table' aka California Shorty
Tang Hoa
Johnny Kang
Frank Almanza
Alex Pagulayun
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Alex Higgins
Carlo Biado
Dennis Hatch
Rodney Morris
Dale Kihura
Shane Van Boening
Buddy Hall

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as people known to the pool world?

Mazin Shooni. If it weren't for his great pool room, I'd never have found out what the game as all about.

RussPrince

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm of the age (44) that Tom Cruise was certainly the most inspiring person I've seen. That movie got me (and I know many others) into the game at all. If it wasn't for that movie I personally never would have picked up the game in any kind of serious manner.

After being inspired to play it has always been Robert Byrne's books that taught me everything I ever needed to know about how the game works, and how you can make the game bend to your will...

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I loved pool long before I ever found out that people did it for a living, or wrote books, or made videos on how to play. I was twelve the first time my Stepdad walked me into a bar and decided to show me how to shoot pool...one bank of an eight ball for the win against some old bar regular for 5 bucks and I was forever in love. Though I have shot pool with the man only three or four times in the intervening 30 years I will never forget that moment that he introduced me to a pool cue.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
I loved pool long before I ever found out that people did it for a living, or wrote books, or made videos on how to play. I was twelve the first time my Stepdad walked me into a bar and decided to show me how to shoot pool...one bank of an eight ball for the win against some old bar regular for 5 bucks and I was forever in love. Though I have shot pool with the man only three or four times in the intervening 30 years I will never forget that moment that he introduced me to a pool cue.

Nice post there

Horsetrader

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vernon Elliott. Emphasized simplicity.

I have to agree with Doug, Burnie focus on keeping it simple. Using center english and was a master of ethics with pool.

The person who gave me the best advice and seasoned my game was Mike Johnson. He had beat Vernon with 7 ball for a spot up in the mountains of Tn. I was told Bill Johnson lost nearly 19 thousand dollars. I spent 3 weeks on the road, I came back a much better seasoned player. Mike taught me that playing good 9 ball was having good rhythm, a dance if you will. We never lost a match, but on match did leave us nearly broke playing an unknown from up North. Mike got his rhythm and won our money back playing the best 9 ball I ever seen. 4x8 grandy table.

Memories of the 80's.

Last edited:

PoolChump

Banned
People who have influenced me in my pool playing life

Who is the person or persons that have had the most influence in your Pool Player life? What did this person do that made a difference?

Wow this thread has gone 6 pages now so I'm going to add mine.

Lots of people with a few main players. The first would Alfred "Smitty" Smith. He found me in 1983 and carried me around a few places to show me I wasn't all that.

Norm Pruitt who asked me to play pulling me out of Pool Retirement.

Third it was Frank Tullos who showed me a dimension of Pool I hadn't considered that caused me to want to look into it, explain it fully writing books on it. From this came the explanation of Side Spin allowances, which I think is pretty cool because I've got the only one like it in the world that I know of. Frank would play banks with me and occasionally I would hit a zone where I didnt miss much because he pushed me to. I didn't know I had that in me but he brought it out.

Third and most important was my good friend Anthony Arney. He and I became sort of road partners and shared a lot of long sets of every game there was including One Pocket. Anthony is a good player and will ring game with anyone alive and playing him made me strive harder than I've ever done so before. We fought and argued like two brothers and had verbal arguments in pool rooms from Pennsylvania New Jersey and down the east coast at various times and even got barred from places together and didn't speak for several months at least at one time, but we always made up eventually. At a point we finally grew up but man talk about some hot competition! Playing him stretched my abilities as a player and as a human being. Some good memories.

Keith McCready inspired me to not stroke the cue side armed.
Earl Strickland influenced me to not blame the rolls, the crowd, an opponent, and certainly the cue manufacturer's cue for poor playing.
Rodney Morris pushed me to never give up like he did after getting out of prison.
Mike Sigel drove me to silence when shooting.
Johnny Archer proved to me that the hardest break isn't always the best break.
Strickland and Sigel shaped me to never let my emotions control my actions.