Removing pin, how to hold the butt?

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
I understand yiou heat up the pin with a soldering iron, but I can't seem to hold the butt and turn the pin. What's the best way the hold the butt?

I was thinking bench vise with rubber wrapped around the cue. I figured I'd ask here before I screw something up. ;)

ddcuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After you heat the pin it would be better to clamp the pin in the vice and grab the cue securely with both hands and turn the pin out.

You are going to replace the pin so it wont matter how tight you clam down on the pin.

You may want to wrap a damp cloth around the cue at the joint so the finish wont get to hot and lift.

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Keep in mind while heating the joint pin will expand. You will want to heat the pin with a torch several times allowing for a slight cooling off period as you don't want the heat to transfer through the wood as it will loosen the glues in the Joint area. Once the epoxy is dead, its dead so let it cool. If you are not reusing the joint pin clamp it in vise and turn till you can feel it unscrew, if it is not unscrewing, reheat. If you are saving the joint pin I clamp a piece of leather around the pin and vice down.

akaminski

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heated the pin with a torch then clamped down the pin in a vise and turned the handle..... Came out no problem

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love these instructional threads....

realview.jpg

Sport666

FC3 Custom Cues & Repairs
Silver Member
One more thing to add with the great advice everyone gave you, never turn the cue by the rap/ linen handle section. Grab onto the forearm only.