What Cue Ball do you prefer and why

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only real preference as in <ball of choice> used to be the big ball. It simply moved around better than anything "the right size" especially on the fuzzy cloth and worn tables back then. It was perfect for big tables too. So the inevitable happened. My stroke learned how to move the stick and at that stage, the only preference I'd exercise was for the heaviest ball available; small bar ball excepted. These days it's mostly Aramiths of varying vintage and formulae but they're all heavy enough; no gripes.

dquarasr

Registered
... it's a mistake to concentrate on the spin of the cue ball, it makes the player too visual, spin and deflection should be a FEEL - the human mind can't process feel as well in a visual mode.

The overwhelming majority of my play has been on my own table with Aramith measles ball. I am trying to improve. This is a sincere question: Can you elaborate on this comment? I don't understand how after shooting a shot, seeing how the CB is spinning to ensure you've contacted it where intended is "too visual". I'm not sure I follow feel vs visual and how watching the measles spin precludes feel. While learning, it is useful to me to see how whitey reacts with various RPM when touching a rail. I can't get that with a ball where I can't see the rotation.

I don't plan my shot based solely on the visual outcomes but it does help to watch the measles when I don't get the reaction I expect to see if I under- or over-rotated the CB.

Care to elaborate, please?

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The overwhelming majority of my play has been on my own table with Aramith measles ball. I am trying to improve. This is a sincere question: Can you elaborate on this comment? I don't understand how after shooting a shot, seeing how the CB is spinning to ensure you've contacted it where intended is "too visual". I'm not sure I follow feel vs visual and how watching the measles spin precludes feel. While learning, it is useful to me to see how whitey reacts with various RPM when touching a rail. I can't get that with a ball where I can't see the rotation.

I don't plan my shot based solely on the visual outcomes but it does help to watch the measles when I don't get the reaction I expect to see if I under- or over-rotated the CB.

Care to elaborate, please?

Might not be asking for my response but, it’s way more important to see the reaction than it is to see the ball spinning. Once the cue ball is hit it won’t matter if you can see the ball spinning or not.

Everyone needs to remember why the measle ball was invented. It was not for the player. It was for the television audience. Not too unlike the blue tail hockey puck or the 10yd line in football. It’s unfortunate that this ball was adopted in live play in pool halls. I own a measel ball and occasionally practice with it because I have certain players that insist on it when we match up. I have tried to start a match with either the red or blue circle and have literally had a player grab a measel and insist on playing with it.

It’s a distraction for the player. Those red dots get picked up by your eyes and distract your shot. Not saying you can’t get over that but it’s the last thing you want. Baring that I can’t stand how the measel ball picks up chalk from the cue along with just about every other imaginable thing. The red circle plays great and stays clean. Clean translates to better ball reaction. Try drawing a dirty old measel ball and try drawing a red circle. You will see the difference. Has nothing to do with the weight of the balls as there have been several weight tests between all the balls discussed. They are comparable in weight.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

dquarasr

Registered
Might not be asking for my response but, it’s way more important to see the reaction than it is to see the ball spinning. Once the cue ball is hit it won’t matter if you can see the ball spinning or not.

Everyone needs to remember why the measle ball was invented. It was not for the player. It was for the television audience. Not too unlike the blue tail hockey puck or the 10yd line in football. It’s unfortunate that this ball was adopted in live play in pool halls. I own a measel ball and occasionally practice with it because I have certain players that insist on it when we match up. I have tried to start a match with either the red or blue circle and have literally had a player grab a measel and insist on playing with it.

It’s a distraction for the player. Those red dots get picked up by your eyes and distract your shot. Not saying you can’t get over that but it’s the last thing you want. Baring that I can’t stand how the measel ball picks up chalk from the cue along with just about every other imaginable thing. The red circle plays great and stays clean. Clean translates to better ball reaction. Try drawing a dirty old measel ball and try drawing a red circle. You will see the difference. Has nothing to do with the weight of the balls as there have been several weight tests between all the balls discussed. They are comparable in weight.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Thanks much for your reply. Yes, I am cleaning my measles CB quite often, in fact, just cleaned it again this afternoon. It captures chalk quite easily. Maybe I've placed too much importance on the spin of the ball rather than its reaction.

I absolutely suck at predicting where the CB will go. I did an experiment, and hit many dozen shots using various OB angles and high/low/left/right English on the CB. I diagrammed the results. What a revelation! My original understanding of how the CB reacts with various speeds, spin, and angles was totally unrealistic. I started applying this newfound-to-me knowledge to some 6-ball ghost and 8-ball racks, and what a difference! My very first 6-ball rack resulted in a run out. That had never happened to me before. That, and a serious slowdown of CB speed ended up yielding me SO much better shape than I had previously been capable of.

So I'll try ignoring the damned red spots before my eyes and concentrate on the execution and results, rather than the damned spin. And maybe I'll invest in a new CB.

dquarasr

Registered
http://www.aramithpoolballs.com/cbsap.html

What is the difference between this cue ball in the link and the Measles cue ball. They both say they are made from super phenolic resin. This one is called the Aramith Super pro cue ball were the Measles ball is called the super pro cup.

I have the same question and the "send email" link on the Aramith page does nothing, so I can't ask the supplier. Anyone know for sure? I don't want to spend $ on the wrong thing.

Is the red dot ball compatible with super Aramith Pro-Cup set and comparable in terms of weight and size as that set's measles ball?

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
What is the Difference between the Measles pro cup ball and the Aramith pro red circle ball. According to the description they are made from the same stuff. Only the Measles ball is about $20 bux higher. I guess maybe they charge for the extra red dots 😆

They are not made from the same stuff. Refer to Aramith designation.

Attachments

• Aramith Cue Balls.jpg
    Aramith Cue Balls.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 192

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
The best cueball used to be the "Blue Dot" and the "Blue Circle" - Now apparently the Red Circle is equivalent to those other two.

The Measle Ball is my least favorite, it's a mistake to concentrate on the spin of the cue ball, it makes the player too visual, spin and deflection should be a FEEL - the human mind can't process feel as well in a visual mode.

The Game is the Teacher

No, Blue Dot, Blue Circle, and Red circle are different resins, different time periods too.

Attachments

• Aramith Cue Balls.jpg
    Aramith Cue Balls.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 183

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It seems the Pro cup Measles ball and the Pro cue ball with the red Aramith logo is made of the same stuff I pro Aramith phenolic. That was my question. I thought the pro cue ball had a red circle but it is the Aramith in red logo.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It seems the Pro cup Measles ball and the Pro cue ball with the red Aramith logo is made of the same stuff I pro Aramith phenolic. That was my question. I thought the pro cue ball had a red circle but it is the Aramith in red logo.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

They're different, except for three. The Blue Circle, Measle, and Pro Aramith Logo are the same resin. The Blue Dot is different, much more solid color white. The Red Circle is the most different from the others, a carom resin and finish, more lively, spins more than the others.

orion21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it just me? I can't keep the measles ball clean. Like literally permanent chalk marks. No issue with my red circle or cyclops. Measle also feels heavy to me, but have not weighed it.

dquarasr

Registered
I have the same question and the "send email" link on the Aramith page does nothing, so I can't ask the supplier. Anyone know for sure? I don't want to spend $ on the wrong thing.

Is the red dot ball compatible with super Aramith Pro-Cup set and comparable in terms of weight and size as that set's measles ball?

I finally figured out that the Aramith website merely gives you their email address, and doesn't open up another page. I emailed yesterday asking this question; I'll post here if they respond.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm really liking the blue circle Centennial right now. I hear folks talk about how they are hard to keep clean, and I tend to agree that they can look bad really quick, but even though they look dirty they still seem to be less likely to cause a miss due to the dreaded skid or hop like a red circle.

Robert.Beak

Registered
I'm really liking the blue circle Centennial right now. I hear folks talk about how they are hard to keep clean, and I tend to agree that they can look bad really quick, but even though they look dirty they still seem to be less likely to cause a miss due to the dreaded skid or hop like a red circle.

I will agree :thumbup:
I bought a blue сircle on Amazon
I don't think it's such a problem to keep them clean, I even like to take care of the inventory

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will agree :thumbup:
I bought a blue сircle on Amazon
I don't think it's such a problem to keep them clean, I even like to take care of the inventory
And the $ price you paid for it if you don’t mind me asking? I seriously doubt it was a Brunswick centennial blue circle cue ball which I’ve never seen on Amazon. If It was new and if you paid less than $50 for it, I guarantee you it was not a Brunswick Blue circle cue ball, which are virtually impossible to purchase separate from the Brunswick centennial complete sets, even from an authorized Brunswick dealer.

The 6 blue circle pro cup cue ball shown on Amazon for $12.89 is a copy/knock-off of the Aramith Pro Cup cue ball, and the single blue circle training ball on Amazon offered by Iszy for $3.95 is certainly not a Brunswick Centennial Blue Circle cue ball.

The $ retail prices for the 4 most popular top quality preferred Aramith line of cue balls sold individually is as follows, and as stated above, it is not possible to purchase a Brunswick blue circle cue ball individually:

$47 - Pro Cup (Measle)
$31 - Tournament (Black Logo Duramith)
$26 - Super Pro (Red Logo)
$25 - Red Circle

It’s easy to see why the red circle is the most popular of the four top Aramith cue balls particularly for your better pool rooms. Not only is it generally considered by the majority of the top players as the best playing and easiest to keep clean and looking nice, it is also the least expensive!

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aramith makes a Blue Circle as well , Maybe he was referring to that
Aramith offers a blue logo cue ball as well as a blue dot cue ball, but to my knowledge they do NOT offer a blue circle cue ball, So as not to be possibly confused with the Brunswick centennial blue circle cue ball.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Aramith offers a blue logo cue ball as well as a blue dot cue ball, but to my knowledge they do NOT offer a blue circle cue ball, So as not to be possibly confused with the Brunswick centennial blue circle cue ball.

Aramith makes both the Blue Circle and the Blue Dot. The difference is, Aramith does not sell the Clue Circle cue ball separately from the Centennial set. That is why Centennial sets in pool rooms sooner or later get replaced with other cue balls, Red Circle, Measle, etc. But everything you mention comes from Aramith.

Used to be Albany Ball Company, Albany, New York. But that was another era.

All the best,
WW