Meucci red dot shaft

haifp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is a meucci red dot shaft? Is there a difference from their no dot shaft? Thank you, Jim

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
The difference is it has a red dot on it :D

Actually I would like to know as well. I know the red dot shafts has the dot so that you can place the dot in the same position every time but I do not know if it goes farther than that. There website says that the classic (no dot) shaft has a little more deflection to it compared to the others.

Woody

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I am not positive about the red dot but the black dot is a flat laminated shaft.

The theory is that by doing that it inceases the bendabiliy flex on one axis & stiffens it on the other. So the shaft is used with the dot up so that the shaft deflects & makes the cue ball squirt less.

The old Meucci shafts were regular but had long thin tapers to increase the bendability so that they would deflect & squirt the cue ball less.

At least that is how I understand them to be.

As I said I don't really know the difference between the red & black dots.

Regards,

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
English is correct, but with the red dot up I think that the tip will not wear evenly.

"The Meucci Black Dot Bullseye Performance Cue Shaft is the most consistent, hi tech, performance cue shaft in the world. The Black Dot is made from 39 flat Northern Hard Rock Maple laminations. Radial Consistency is equal to Natural Hard Maple or any of the “Pie” laminated shafts currently on the market. Every Black Dot Shaft plays exactly the same whether you have 2, 3, 4, or more shafts with your cue. Unmatched by any other shaft"

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
english is correct, the red dot is supposedly used to orient the shaft where the spine of the wood is in the ideal position where it doesn't bend side to side as much. the black dot is also supposed to be used similarly, dot up for both. the only difference between the red dot and black dot is that the black dot is flat laminated. i've tested these shafts and i couldn't really tell any difference with the dot in different positions. snooker players though always hold their shafts in the same orientation, so maybe there is something to it.

the no dot shaft has a different ferrule design, it's basically a classic straight through tenon design. i believe the material may be different as well, the ones i saw were more ivory colored, whereas the red/black dots used a whiter material. the tenon design, along with the possibly heavier/harder ferrule material, would increase deflection some. the red and black dots have a hollow space up front under the ferrule. the ferrule is capped and if you could see the tenon underneath, it looks like a sharpened pencil. that removes some weight and also is claimed to allow the ferrule to bend around the tenon to reduce deflection.