Tip to Tip

1ab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How is it, by going from SS to H, I am causing more spin ? I was convinced to make the change after it was explained that all tips go through compression at predictable rates, and my SS would change faster, causing inconsistencies in the expected "hit". I was also told the stroke being fluid was critical toward success with H tips. So finally I felt I was ready to make the change and to my amazement, the absolute opposite of what I expected occurred. I started spinning the cue ball more than ever before. What principles am I not understanding?

1ab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RandyG would you be so kind as to elaborate ? Are you referring to less compression with less time ?

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1ab...Tip compression rates have little to nothing to do with how a tip plays. Each tip 'hardness' rating is still subject to how it "feels" to the individual player. IMO, the tip 'degradation' of super soft tips would only be marginally less than medium or hard tips (unless you're breaking with it too). Having an accurate and repeatable stroke has a ton to do with how a tip "feels" to the player (and consequently, the way a tip "feels" is subjective to each individual). Randy refers to the average 1/1000th of a second that the tip is in contact with the CB, to produce the desired result (that means that any theatrical moves have no bearing on the outcome, once the CB leaves the tip...or, in other words,.001 seconds). A smooth stroke is imperative for predictable results. You may wish to have your stoke analyzed by a qualified instructor.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

RandyG would you be so kind as to elaborate ? Are you referring to less compression with less time ?

1ab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Scott for your explanation. I listen and evaluate information discreetly, as to redefine understandings without making those who are offering up info feel like I'm skeptical. That makes this forum especially important for many of us.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member

Scott said it for me. There is very little that we can do to change compression time to make it noticeable. The sound of a tip is your "feel"!

Nothing can replace a great stroke.

I know that it doesn't make sense, but go with what is real.

Happy New Year
randyg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How is it, by going from SS to H, I am causing more spin ? I was convinced to make the change after it was explained that all tips go through compression at predictable rates, and my SS would change faster, causing inconsistencies in the expected "hit". I was also told the stroke being fluid was critical toward success with H tips. So finally I felt I was ready to make the change and to my amazement, the absolute opposite of what I expected occurred. I started spinning the cue ball more than ever before. What principles am I not understanding?
Some tips just seem to work better than others. I think some of this is subjective but I have had tips that just didn't get the job done. There is a reason we don't use cardboard for tips.

As far as being more objective, it would help to have a specific test for how well you can spin the ball. One such set of tests is in this group of drills. The drills are easily scored and you could compare how well you do before and after a tip change.

I think the tip about "fluidity" applies to all kinds of tip equally.

1ab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To RandyG, I must agree your point, is terse and relevant. I think at times when we try to see more than what is there, Bob...I printed out the lesson and will begin using it. Thank you both for your responses.