The GRAND SLAM of Billiards??

MississaugaFats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there one?
What is it?
If one was to be, what would it consist of?
Tennis has one!
Golf also has got one!
Even, horse-racing is on track!:D
What about billiards!
When will it come to the table?:grin-devilish:

vincentwu817

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there one?
What is it?
If one was to be, what would it consist of?
Tennis has one!
Golf also has got one!
Even, horse-racing is on track!:D
What about billiards!
When will it come to the table?:grin-devilish:

I would consider the WPC 9 ball the grand slam of pool, but not so much anymore. In the early 2000s, ALL the best players attended this event and is a tough atmosphere to play in (a lot of audiences). If they can fix up the WPC events, I would definitely consider it a Grand Slam. It is getting difficult because the prizes are going down and it is really hard to really get all the top players together and play in a format that will really determine the winner.

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the grand slam of pool. Interesting question. As golf's is the US open, Masters, PGA, and British Open, I would say the top 4 in pool is the World Pool Masters, the US Open 9 Ball, the WPC Nine ball, and the China Open Nine ball. The Ultimate Ten Ball and World Ten Ball might take the place of the China Open. Just my opinion.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For what it's worth, the list of ranking tournaments for the BCA:

Turning Stone Classic
US Open 9-Ball Championship
Steve Mizerak Championship
Turning Stone Classic XVI
Masters 10-Ball
Pro Players Championship
Ultimate 10-Ball Championship
US Open 10-Ball Championship

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
My grand slam would be winning the US Open and then all 3 disciplines at DCC. I would say the odds are too long to even calculate someone pulling that off in a year. Especially since no one has yet to have a lifetime grand slam. After Shane's 1hole win last year he just needs to win the 9ball banks to pull off a lifetime one LOL....

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
No, there isn't one.

... but, if there is one, it's available at the DCC.

Banks Event
One Pocket Event
Nine Ball Event
14.1 Challenge

If you can sweep these, you have demonstrated great excellence in four major disciplines against four elite fields.

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My grand slam would be winning the US Open and then all 3 disciplines at DCC. I would say the odds are too long to even calculate someone pulling that off in a year. Especially since no one has yet to have a lifetime grand slam. After Shane's 1hole win last year he just needs to win the 9ball banks to pull off a lifetime one LOL....

I believe Luther Lassiter pulled off something like this. He won all the disciplines in the johnston city event (14.1, 9-ball, one pocket) and also won the 14.1 U.s. Open or 14.1 World Championships in the same year, mid 1960's.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I believe Luther Lassiter pulled off something like this. He won all the disciplines in the johnston city event (14.1, 9-ball, one pocket) and also won the 14.1 U.s. Open or 14.1 World Championships in the same year, mid 1960's.

Actually, Lassiter, according to the June 2011 issue of Billiards Digest, won the one pocket event at Johnston City just once, and that was in 1969. That year, he also won the nine ball, but failed to win the straight pool, which was won by Joe Russo.

Of the twelve Johnston City events (1961-72), Lassiter won the all around five times, in 1962, 1963, 1964, 1967 and 1969. Lassiter alsoo won four World 14.1 titles in the 1960's. It is hard to argue than anyone else meirts consideration as the best all-around pool player of the 1960's unless three cushion billiards is included in the debate, in which case Harold Worst's name merits serious mention.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
My Grand Slam would start with.....
US Open....first time I went the field was 288
DCC-Master of the Table....like the Open, big field
World 8-9-10-ball championships
World straight-pool championship
Japan Open

If I could win one tournament I'd pick the US Open...
...it is truly open, all you need is an entry fee