SVB vs. Cory Duel barbox race to 25 for $5K from 2008

Viader

Registered
I searched around but didn't see that anyone has posted this. The video on youtube was added just a week ago, so I don't know if it has ever been posted. As many matches as I watch, I think I would have come across it by now.
https://youtu.be/XoqT4c7J1dQ

Anyway, if you don't like barbox pool, you might not want to spend two-and-a-half hours watching this. :grin: The video is not fancy--no graphics or announcers, and it's about impossible to keep track of the score since some editing was done to cut out parts where there was no shooting (they were using coins as markers). The camera angle, video quality, and audio were very good for what it is.

Rules were more old school:
  • -Take the group you make on the break
  • -Ball in hand is behind headstring
  • -8-ball on the break is a win (second ball hit on the break was required according to the notes)
  • -Winner breaks

With the second ball break, there were plenty of clusters. It was fun watching them navigate break and runs when they occurred, and I liked the rules compared to alternating break, ball in hand anywhere, etc. Hope some of you enjoy it!

Last edited:

Viader

Registered
Do you know where this was played?

It was at Q-Masters Billiards & Restaurant in Virginia Beach, and took place during the U.S. Open that year. The owner of the bar, Barry Berhman, was also the founder of the U.S. Open. He passed away in 2016.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was at Q-Masters Billiards & Restaurant in Virginia Beach, and took place during the U.S. Open that year. The owner of the bar, Barry Berhman, was also the founder of the U.S. Open. He passed away in 2016.

Didn’t know they had bar tables. Thanks for providing the info

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the little that I watched, Shane was breaking from the side. He doesn’t use that break any more- he breaks almost head hitting the cueball very low

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great match. A little controversy at 1:07:32 but all was good.

Good stuff, thanks

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just learned a new trick! Putting a cigarette under the cushion to aid in seeing if the ball is frozen.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great match. A little controversy at 1:07:32 but all was good.

Good stuff, thanks

I guess Shane was saying that because he made 2 solids and 1 stripe on the break that makes Corey solids. Never heard of that rule.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Whoa. I was there and watched part of this. Even recorded one of the racks from my phone at the time.

Thanks for posting!

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey's second ball break was the difference. Too solid and consistent..

Shane now breaks head on in 8 ball as I said earlier. It is more effective for him. He’d probably be the favorite if they played a similar match now although Corey is very strong in bar table 8 ball

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess Shane was saying that because he made 2 solids and 1 stripe on the break that makes Corey solids. Never heard of that rule.

I think APA uses that rule, if you make more of one than the other, you are what you made more of. I think. Or it was a made up bar rules, almost the same thing as APA rules anyway LOL

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane now breaks head on in 8 ball as I said earlier. It is more effective for him. He’d probably be the favorite if they played a similar match now although Corey is very strong in bar table 8 ball

OP said for this match 2nd ball break was required. I would imagine Corey wanted this rule to make it less of a run out clinic for Shane.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for posting this. Just watched the first hour or so and Cory really didn't make many mistakes. About as good as you can play bar table 8b. Amazing.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
So who was right with the dispute about what Corey had to take? Were they playing take whatever you make the most of? I heard them say that Corey made two solids and a stripe, but then he started shooting stripes. I also heard Shane telling him, "Those are the rules...". But for some reason, Corey didn't accept it and he just ran out the stripes.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So who was right with the dispute about what Corey had to take? Were they playing take whatever you make the most of? I heard them say that Corey made two solids and a stripe, but then he started shooting stripes. I also heard Shane telling him, "Those are the rules...". But for some reason, Corey didn't accept it and he just ran out the stripes.

I don't know what they agreed to when they started. Shane said "That's the rules at the US Bar Table Championship" and then Corey said it wasn't cool to just sit there and watch him shoot a stripe without telling him that was the rule.

I don't think Shane was really trying to get ball in hand, I think he was just trying to do something to get Corey to blink. At that point Corey had played nearly perfectly. Only miss I saw was the 9b down the rail early and his position play was perfect. I didn't think to count how many B&Rs he had but it was several in a row at least.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I don't know what they agreed to when they started. Shane said "That's the rules at the US Bar Table Championship" and then Corey said it wasn't cool to just sit there and watch him shoot a stripe without telling him that was the rule.

I don't think Shane was really trying to get ball in hand, I think he was just trying to do something to get Corey to blink. At that point Corey had played nearly perfectly. Only miss I saw was the 9b down the rail early and his position play was perfect. I didn't think to count how many B&Rs he had but it was several in a row at least.

Yeah, it appears that they hadn't clarified the rules very well before they started. Shane did back down and let Corey keep shooting, so maybe he was just trying to get into Corey's head.

I agree, Corey was playing awesome and the rules dispute didn't slow him down.

_______

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey’s best game is probably bar table 8 ball. He has won several bar table tournaments in the past