First tourney

14.1pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all, just want to introduce myself. My favourite games are by far straight pool and 1 pocket, in no particular order. I've normally been a reader here but thought I'd start to contribute a bit myself.

I was introduced to straight pool about 4 months ago and haven't really played 9-ball since, just seems too boring to me now. Although when I do play I find my ball pocketing skills have sky rocketed somewhat.

I played in my first, of what I hope to be many, 14.1 tourney a couple of weeks ago, and although I played horendous it was the most fun I've had at any tournament. What a great game!!

Anyways, My high run so far is 34....still working on that 50:rolleyes:

TheWizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey there, welcome to the forums buddy :), you have definitely come to the right place for straight pool :)

the 1st and only straight pool tournament, I've had the oppertunity to play in, was 3 months ago and that was a qualifier event, which I won my spot out of 4 spots available, but the wind up was, I had to give up my spot because of family circumstances at the time :)

Although I have been playing straight pool here and there from I was a young age, I haven't had much oppertunity to practice at all more than once a week, my high run is still 104 unfinished, which I made on a Sam K-Steel 4.5' x 9' with "Boxer" cloth, which is a heavier barbox type cloth, than the lighter simonis 760/860 type cloths :)

In saying this, I'm going to be starting to practice alot more often at straight pool to get myself to top shape, as I'm determined to not only break the 100+, but to break 150, and hopefuly 200, but 150 is my target :)

The more you practice at straight pool, the more familiar you'll become with the various patterns and strategies of which is the best way to run the table in various racks and situations :), the best advice I can give, is set yourself small goals, e.g. with your high run being 34, why not set a target to try and break 40, then aim to break 50, and so on :), the reason for this is because you'll find the the more you try to beat these targets, you'll start to become consistent with the shorter runs, and as your targets increase, so will the ball count in your shorter runs :), it's a progressive way of practicing, but there are many other various way to improve and I wish you the best of luck reguardless :)

Welcome again and I look forward to hearing of you breaking the 50 mark :)

Willie

14.1pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks...

thanks for the kind words guys. I'll make my next goal a 40 like you suggested.

I have been out of the country for years, in Japan, playing on only 4.5 by 9's. I have recently moved home. I have a table in my basement, it is 4 by 8 with snooker style pockets. Having a little trouble adjusting but I really think this table is just not very suitable for straight pool. Guess I'll be hitting the pool hall a little more often than I wanted.:)

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I tried to play straight pool on a 4.5x9 with snooker pockets in China and man, was it TOUGH!!

Better 14.1 players like Steve Lipsky, Bob Jewett and others: Have you played on 14.1 on snooker-cut pockets? How did you fare?

Dave

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:
I tried to play straight pool on a 4.5x9 with snooker pockets in China and man, was it TOUGH!!

Better 14.1 players like Steve Lipsky, Bob Jewett and others: Have you played on 14.1 on snooker-cut pockets? How did you fare?

Dave

I did not fare well. I do practice on a snooker table about twice a week - mostly to fine tune my shotmaking on the smaller pockets.

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:

Dave

I've actually never tried it. I'm not a big believer in super-tight pockets, so snooker pockets... fuhggedaboudit.

If I were to try it, I can't imagine ever running more than 3 balls. I wonder what the high run is under those conditions?

- Steve

14.1pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
29!

Doesn't sound that impressive but over the last week I have been rattling out ALOT of balls, especially rail shots. Some of the shots these pockets spit out is almost unbelievable:eek:

I just ran a 29. I was forced to take a side break shot (not my favourite)and ended up spinning around the entire rack:mad:

TheWizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The highest run I've hit on a snooker table (6' x 12' British size table) is 23 playing straight pool, and believe me, on a table that's very much like a football field, that's not easy :) lol, but as reguards what the highest run is on a snooker table, playing straight pool, I really don't know :)

Willie