Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Grip question for Dr. Dave
Page 3 of 6 123 45 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-12-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeflection View Post
I think that if you are looking for cue speed to hit the rack then a light grip would be used.

If you want to break the rack with a lot of force backing up the hit use a more firm grip. Excess speed is the enemy for that type of break.
Uhhh.... You get more force from the cue ball into the rack with more cue ball speed. What you say above is nonsensical.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#32)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

09-12-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I think that if you are looking for cue speed to hit the rack then a light grip would be used.

If you want to break the rack with a lot of force backing up the hit use a more firm grip.
There's no practical difference. Cue speed = force. Whatever grip produces the most cue speed also produces the most force.

Quote:
Excess speed is the enemy for that type of break.
Don't even know what this is supposed to mean.

[EDIT: I see Bob beat me to it.]

pj
chgo

Old
  (#33)
nodeflection
AzB Silver Member
nodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-12-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
There's no practical difference. Cue speed = force. Whatever grip produces the most cue speed also produces the most force.

pj
chgo
There is practically no right answer or we would all not be here. I stand by my advice in light of your equation.

Old
  (#34)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

09-12-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
... I stand by my advice in light of your equation.
I think you stand alone.

Old
  (#35)
nodeflection
AzB Silver Member
nodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond reputenodeflection has a reputation beyond repute

09-12-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
Uhhh.... You get more force from the cue ball into the rack with more cue ball speed. What you say above is nonsensical.
Ok, thanks.

Old
  (#36)
nodeflection
AzB Silver Member

09-12-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
I think you stand alone.

Break Rak training
Old
  (#37)
Balls
Big Brass Balls
Balls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond reputeBalls has a reputation beyond repute

Cool Break Rak training - 09-12-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
I've hear everyone debate about the weight of the cue for breaking, with some saying a light cue can go faster, or a heavier cue has more force, etc. I know f=mv, so they're both right in a way.

But anyway, my question is whether a grip where the cue is firmly in your hand generates more force than a grip more in the fingertips.
There are a lot of fun thoughts around the break shot which is a very special shot indeed. I can only tell you my experience and outlook and maybe it will help you.

I've been playing with women all my life so my beak shot wasn't any more important than making a big noise. I've wanted to improve that and what I did was to a get a Breakrak unit because I like to practice shots and not reracking. They also have a Radar unit that displays each shot I take in MPH. So I can measure myself too.

So then I picked up a 16oz Viking cue and put a samsara break tip on it. I picked up a Rage 23 oz and finally put a samsara break tip on it. I dug up the old golf club weight and threw that on.. don't do this lol.. I tried using my Lucassi jump shaft, and yes just recently my Massae cue at 25 oz I think, with a soft elk masters tip. That felt so nice btw.

I went to a few pool halls and got people to try it and noted their speeds. Pro's and "Game lovers" are in the 20MPH + area.

So me, well I'm still throwing everything I've got into it and I'm doing a consistent 15,16MPH. While playing around with all of the cue's and chalk and weights I determined they are all useless. It's the archer.

So my suggestion for anyone reading this is to take the advice of Shane and so many others and get a Breakrak with the Radar unit and practice until you have the 20+ speed. Then you will be able to control your slower break shots with more skill in your toolbox to work with.

I'm still practicing but not up to 20+ yet. I'm looking for more snap now and a looser grip seems to be better but practice and find out what works for you to get to 20+ MPH.

BarBoxRules.com
Supporting Olympic dreams since 2009
I am no longer active in this forum.

Old
  (#38)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

Talking 09-12-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Don't even know what this is supposed to mean.

[EDIT: I see Bob beat me to it.]

pj
chgo
Are balls and nodeflection the same person?????

Old
  (#39)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

09-12-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
I don't think so. One of them seems persuadable. Of course it might be Yin and Yang, the Siamese twins. Does that count as one person?

Name:  CropperCapture[379].png
Views: 194
Size:  4.8 KB

... which would be a pretty neat design for pool balls. Similar to the Burt balls teardrop design. Rubik's Cube should get right on it.

Name:  CropperCapture[380].png
Views: 197
Size:  163.6 KB

Old
  (#40)
Matt_24
AzB Silver Member
Matt_24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_24 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_24 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

09-12-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Good players change their grips depending on the shot, the elevation of the butt from the surface of the table, the distance between the cue ball and the object ball, etc. always with the intent of effectively delivering the cue tip to the required aim on the cue ball. The Grip is just a delivery system. Experiment to discovers what works best for your physiology versus the requirement of the shot. There are no hard and fast rules.

"I used to bet my own but it gave me ulcers." - John Schmidt, 2008

Old
  (#41)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

09-12-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_24 View Post
Good players change their grips depending on the shot, the elevation of the butt from the surface of the table, the distance between the cue ball and the object ball, etc. always with the intent of effectively delivering the cue tip to the required aim on the cue ball. The Grip is just a delivery system. Experiment to discovers what works best for your physiology versus the requirement of the shot. There are no hard and fast rules.
Well said. Gotta find what works for YOU.

Old
  (#42)
ceebee
AzB Silver Member
ceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Skype™ to ceebee 
09-12-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
No, I know who Balls is...

ceebee
USMC- Ret.
www.breakrak.com
918-543-6600
SKYPE charley.bond.inola
Every game Starts with the Break Shot

Old
  (#43)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

09-12-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
If you want to break the rack with a lot of force backing up the hit use a more firm grip.
Quote:
I assume you're thinking that a firmer grip puts some body mass behind the cue's momentum, giving it more force. This would be true except for the fact that the hand's soft flesh flexes too much during tip/ball contact to effectively transmit the added mass.

pj
chgo

utube question
Old
  (#44)
Danny Harriman
One of the best in 14.1
Danny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond repute

utube question - 09-12-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post
The optimal power-break-cue weight for an individual depends on many factors. Lighter is better for some, heavier is better for others. FYI, this is covered in detail here:

optimal cue weight resource page

Tightness/tension in the grip (or arm) limits smooth acceleration and results in less speed. For more information, see the videos and other info here:

grip technique advice

light grip vs. tight grip

Enjoy,
Dave
I go to utube and Dr. Dave (amateur) has a instructional video "recommended for me" some thin' bout top ten shots amateur's play wrong. David are u trying to write me a a prescriptshun' for how to treat your sympom. Or are u pretending to be a some sort of pro scholar? Either way people who recommend' something' to others they have never met are probably focused on trying to write a prescript - and it's their disease.

Old
  (#45)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

09-12-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Harriman View Post
I go to utube and Dr. Dave (amateur) has a instructional video "recommended for me" some thin' bout top ten shots amateur's play wrong. David are u trying to write me a a prescriptshun' for how to treat your sympom. Or are u pretending to be a some sort of pro scholar? Either way people who recommend' something' to others they have never met are probably focused on trying to write a prescript - and it's their disease.
The following video gets recommended to many people by YouTube, because it has been viewed by a lot of people interested in pool already (over 800,000 views in 9 months), and YouTube thinks other people like you interested in pool will also like it:

Top 10 Pool Shots Amateurs Play Wrong … and How to Play Them Right

I don't have any power or choice in this matter.

Concerning my "prescription," I do have a PhD and a DP (Doctorate of Pool), and I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express recently, so I most definitely recommend that you and others watch the video.

And if you like it, I have others similar to it here:

Dr. Dave's "Top 10" instructional series on YouTube

Enjoy,
Dave

PS: Hi ... I'm Dave ... I'm an amateur pool player ... and I sometimes make the mistakes my videos say amateurs make but shouldn't.

Last edited by dr_dave; 09-12-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Page 3 of 6 123 45 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: