Westinghouse micarta..?

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
It's much softer and lighter than ivory.
If you like that ivory ping and weight, Saber T might be your ticket.

This man knows his ferrules
Correct, the Saber-T Ferrules are the closest thing there is that I have found as well.
Additionally, the Saber-T ferrules seem to magically repel chalk.

Lesh

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, according to an expert here, they never had asbestos.
They were just different formulation.

The one that really turned orange-yellow is the most sought after of course.
That's the one that is commonly known as asbestos micarta.

Micarta is now synonymous to phenolic.
http://www.norplex-micarta.com/WhatsNew.aspx
But, the ferrules used were never really phenolic. Except for the breakers now.
They are just too heavy.

I got some of these micartas on ebay by an infamous seller who misrepresents then as westinghouse micarta.
They are really what is commonly known as GE micarta.

Yes, the word Micarta is kind of like Kleenex....:D

As for asbestos, there are lots of people that say lots of things...experts and otherwise.

Asbestos has been used in phenolics for a long time. Whether or not it was specifically used in the ferrules people look for could be questioned.

There are many industry references to asbestos being used in phenolic and specifically Micarta. One comon asbestos phenolic that a lot of people know is brake pads.

Whether or not asbestos is the stuff in the ferrules some people love may be open to question I guess.

I honestly don't know for certain, I have no firsthand knowledge in that area of industry.

The "legend" is that it was asbestos.

What I do have knowledge of is medicine. In medicine we know that Micarta is one of the products that is believed to have posed an asbestos exposure risk which leads to asbestosis and possibly mesothelioma.

References:
http://www.mesothelioma.com/asbestos-exposure/companies/westinghouse-electric-corporation.htm

micarta, an asbestos-containing laminate

http://www.lexislegalnews.com/artic...pert-opinion-grants-judgment-in-asbestos-case
evidence shows that Micarta came in several grades, only a few of which contained asbestos

Last edited:

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Atlas Billiard Supplies

Call Atlas Billiard Supplies -Skokie, IL

Micarta is nice, but Elforyn is nicer, not yellow like you want, comes in slabs and smells like coconut when cut :thumbup:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Micarta is a Westinghouse brand.

People are generally looking for asbestos based Micarta when talking ferrules for pool cues.

Lots of Micarta is available...generally not the one people are looking for in ferrules when they ask about the old Micarta.

Are those web sites selling asbestos ferrules? Think about it. It's asbestos. :wink: It's rare. :wink: It's very expensive, costs more than an ivory ferrule generally. :wink:

Now, the "second favorite" is the old paper phenolic, Micarta brand. Not as expensive, not as rare, but still sought after and not cheap. This is what I think th old yellow Schon ferrules were made from. Anybody feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Micarta is a brand that was made with various different fiber materials. Usually people mean the old asbestos Westinghouse material when talking about hard to find desirable old ferrules. Not likely advertised on any website as a commonly available supply that you can just call them up and order. :wink:
I thought so :)
Considering the asbestos and all, maybe another type of ferrule material is worth considering...

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you find out, OP, let us all know.....would you?

Here's one on a Kersh shaft......plays incredible.
I had an early Josswest with the old yellow micarta,
too. Yep.....you guessed it....played incredible, too.

I'm actually brown sqirreling 2 of them that I got
from a friend a few years ago, just waiting for
the right cue and shaft combo.

Attachments

• received_324862191209324.jpg
    received_324862191209324.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 474

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Member "pdcue" has/had some of the good stuff for sale. Contact him if interested. His stash was all that remains from what Bob Runde used in the early years of Schon.

Dave

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, that old 'yellowish' Micarta is the chit. Had a few old Schon's and a killer old 3/8x10 Ebony Biagio with the dark brown/yellowish ferrules that hit very nice.

I have seen cue builder supply shops with various Micarta 'grades' and claims to be the actual 'Chit'. I am thinking it was Westinghouse brand but could be wrong.

I have tried different ferrule materials over the last few years. I have not tried the Tiger Sabre T yet. Think I will sometime in the future since Joey likes it. I trust Joey:groucho:

-Kat,

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, that old 'yellowish' Micarta is the chit. Had a few old Schon's and a killer old 3/8x10 Ebony Biagio with the dark brown/yellowish ferrules that hit very nice.

I have seen cue builder supply shops with various Micarta 'grades' and claims to be the actual 'Chit'. I am thinking it was Westinghouse brand but could be wrong.

I have tried different ferrule materials over the last few years. I have not tried the Tiger Sabre T yet. Think I will sometime in the future since Joey likes it. I trust Joey:groucho:

-Kat,

I saw a Biagio for sale a few months ago with the 3/8x10 pin and a dark yellow ferrule. It just looked the part. Now I wish I had picked it up.

I don't have a Biago in my collection. I want a Joss made one and a nice example of an Asian one.

Saber-T I have not yet tried but am very curious.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon ferrules.

Attachments

• Schon Ferrules.jpg
    Schon Ferrules.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited: