how do you become a table mechanic?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You guys sound like jealous fans...LOL Just because you guys haven't done something, doesn't mean it can't be done by others!

Glen

Eddie4269

Billiard Equpment Tech
Silver Member
realkingcobra said:
You guys sound like jealous fans...LOL Just because you guys haven't done something, doesn't mean it can't be done by others!

Glen

I wasn't saying it couldn't be done...

I just couldn't (and still can't) fathom why a mechanic would turn down residential moves to recover bar boxes. The monotony would kill me.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Eddie4269 said:
I wasn't saying it couldn't be done...

I just couldn't (and still can't) fathom why a mechanic would turn down residential moves to recover bar boxes. The monotony would kill me.
Because while all the other billiards technicians and billiards company's in my area were busy chasing the home table industry, on a daily basis, I was building a repeat business that I didn't have to wonder tomorrow if I was going to have work or not, or next month or even next year. When the economy would slow down, and home table sales were down, they didn't have the bar table industry to fall back on, because I had control of most of all the bar recoveries within about 100 miles from my base location. I saw a lot of billiards business come and go, because they all for the most part chased that all mighty home table dollars. Yes, the home table market pays more, but there's way less work in home tables, moves, sales etc...than there is in the repeat of the bar table industry. About 90% of the bars in Washington state own their pool tables, unlike states that are vendor controlled. You might say I had concrete foundation, built on repeat work, while everyone else was hoping to get that call for a home table in order to earn some money.

Glen

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eddie4269 said:
Step 1: Look in the mirror.
Step 2: Slap yourself in the face as hard as you can.
Step 3: Go back to college.

You are damn right about that. I'm trying my best to get out of this. Right now I'm saving some money to go to a tech school and become an EMT or even a Radiologist (2years and you start out at 75k plus benefits)

It's not a great job. The first thing is you are moving a heavy object through a house multiple times. Then you have to listen to some golfer talk about how his golfing buddy is almost a pro in pool. And if you give them a shot they'll run out. And I must note they are telling you this while you are carrying 2 inch 9ft T-rail slate up marble stairs at a 4million dollar country club home.

Now if you go into it with the intention of striking out on your own in a few years and eventually opening an actual store. Then it is worth it. But other than that honestly find a new career. Become a Radiologist or a Registered Nurse. Those are well paid jobs which are in High Demand

BUGSY

Registered
table mechanic

folks ..thank you for some rather interesting replies....it seems that with the pool industry being as large as it appears that there would be some factory support or training available....i have to admire the techs that have gone out on there own and become successful at this trade....thank you bugsy

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
Eddie4269 said:
Step 1: Look in the mirror.
Step 2: Slap yourself in the face as hard as you can.
Step 3: Go back to college.
JimS said:
Probably good advice here.
Why does everyone have a pessamistic outlook on everything pool and billiards??? I wonder why are you involved if you don't like it...

Last edited:

SlateHumper

Pokin' and Hopin'
Silver Member
Craig Fales said:
Why does everyone have a pessimistic outlook on everything pool and billiards??? I wonder why are you involved if you don't like it...
Not pessimistic, but REALISTIC. Moving and covering pool tables is no glamorous job. I'm sure a rodie for a rock band would say the same thing.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Being a billiards technician is not like working a job. I don't know of anyone that started out wanting to be one, I think most all technicians just ended up becoming one. Everyone that I've ever met that wanted to become a billiards technician because they saw someone else recovering a pool table, never made it as a technician....for the most part, I don't think this is a job that someone choice to do, I think the job chooses the person, because if you're not cut out to be a billiards technician, the job will break you sooner or later and you'll be gone. ALL those that stay with it, have something in common...the "job" didn't break them. Being a billiards technician is more of a way of life, as opposed to just being a job. I don't know how to explain this as easy as maybe some others on here can...but to me, sometimes everyday can be a Monday...with no weekend in sight. Sometimes Saturday and Sunday fall on a Wednesday or Thursday...or not at all. Sometimes I know what day of the week it is, but on most days I don't. I know it's daytime out when I can see the sun light, but when I'm working in a basement with no windows...I have no idea as to what time it is. I don't wear a watch for the most part, because I don't want a reminder as to how long I've been working on this damn job, because all I care about is getting it done...and if I look to see what time it is...it'll remind me as to how tired I am, then I'll want to quit and get some sleep...which will just make the job take longer. I have no idea as to how much money I'm going to make next week, let alone how much next month...but I know I'll make something and that's all that really counts. All though the money's great and important, I care more about the "thank you's" and the "great job" comments, because then I feel like I really did something to earn the money I received. Sometimes following behind a bad billiards technician can have it's rewards as well, because when the customer is now happy with the work that I've done, I feel like maybe I un-did a wrong that was done to this customer, and re-instated some credit in the fact that there IS good billiards technicians out here that really do care about the customers.

naaaa...I don't think anyone has a choice about becoming a billiards technician....I think either you ARE one...or you're NOT...because the job will test you sooner or later...and you'll either be one...or you won't!

Glen

BUGSY

Registered
table mechanic

fellas...just like to say thank you for your posts.....it has been enlightening ...i have just went back into retirement at 46....i am looking into trades that i have a passion for .... once again , thank you greg zechman