Is Weight A Big Deal?

Inzombiac

Silver Member
I'm pretty new to pool but I have a feeling I won't be giving it up anytime soon so I'm buying my first cue (lower end at first). Something I've noticed is that there are different weights for cues (18oz, 19oz, 20oz....), and what I want to know is: Does the weight really affect your game? I'd imagine it would be a preference thing, but I've been playing with a friend's cue for my league and with house cues otherwise and I've played consistently with both.

MrLucky

Pool Fanatic!!
Silver Member
My advice is to ....

Inzombiac said:
I'm pretty new to pool but I have a feeling I won't be giving it up anytime soon so I'm buying my first cue (lower end at first). Something I've noticed is that there are different weights for cues (18oz, 19oz, 20oz....), and what I want to know is: Does the weight really affect your game? I'd imagine it would be a preference thing, but I've been playing with a friend's cue for my league and with house cues otherwise and I've played consistently with both.

prior to making the purchase go to your pool room and for a few days try the different weight house cues to see the differences in stroke and hitting before deciding on your cue weight! Yes it is a difference! and which is right for you depends on your stroke, power, and last but not least the way it feels to you over a period of shooting!

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
Inzombiac said:

IMO, it is mostly mental, but who knows. 18 vs 20 oz is nothing really.

I like mine @ 19.5 or so.

I orginally thought by "weight" you meant a handicap and if you didn't think it matters, give me the 8 :D

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
Inzombiac said:

I find that what weight works best for me is dependent upon the balance point of the cue. If a cue is forward balance I like a cue 19.5 or a little more. If it is rearward balanced I lean towards 18.5. I do think it makes a difference, there are multiple bp/weight combinations that have a positive effect on my game and others that have a negative effect on it. JMHO.

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
Inzombiac said:

You have to consider weight and ballance point. Two cues with the same weight but different ballance points will feel totaly different. You have to go with what feels good in your hands, not looks good on a scale.

Dhakala

Banned
A cue's weight is like a woman's weight. How much and how it's distributed do matter. Some men's tastes in such matters are more refined than those of others.

Do as others have recommended: try various weights and balance points until you find one that clicks with you.

Ditto for the women. :D

Hal2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue Weight

Murray Tucker said:
You have to consider weight and ballance point. Two cues with the same weight but different ballance points will feel totaly different. You have to go with what feels good in your hands, not looks good on a scale.

I agree with Murray 100% with the balance point AND weight. A 19 oz cue with a forward balance point 'plays' heavier than a 20 cue when the balance point is farther back towards the butt.

Optinum weight of a cue also depends on ones stroke. A powerful stroke (like Miz had) the weight of the cue can be increased.

The best thing you can do is try different weights. Experiment with a heavier cue and drop down in weight. You may need to play with a certain weight for at least a week to get the feel of it.

Good Luck
Hal

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
Hal2 said:
... A 19 oz cue with a forward balance point 'plays' heavier than a 20 cue when the balance point is farther back towards the butt....
Interesting... Unless I misunderstand what you're saying, I perceive the exact opposite.

Hal2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weight

I stand corrected and I meant to write the opposite. Must be getting a touch of Alhesimers.

Regards,
Hal

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I always recommend to start with a 19 then as you play more go either more or less depending on how it feels. House cues are a good way to try out weight but sometimes what they say is not what they are, but if you do find a house cue weight you like then have it weighed to make sure.

Charlie Edwards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think now the most popular weight is about 19 oz. That would be a good starting point. I, personally, am not sensitive to weight. Anywhere between 19 and 19.5 is OK with me.

Last edited:

gregoryg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weight?

The lighter the cue, the better stroke you need to make the cueball move. A heavier cue will make the ball move more easily if you don't have the stroke to make it move. Decide how heavy a cue you want depending on how good your stroke is.

Inzombiac

Silver Member
gregoryg said:
The lighter the cue, the better stroke you need to make the cueball move. A heavier cue will make the ball move more easily if you don't have the stroke to make it move. Decide how heavy a cue you want depending on how good your stroke is.

lol it's funny that you say that cus i made a different thread about my form...

actually I seems to be good at short distances and with shots that require a little touch, but if there's too much green i tend to rim it, or hit it out of the pocket entirely and usually against a rail. But that's on account of me being inexperienced. It'll take me a little while, I think, before my style is set. But if I were to make any assessment, I'd say I'm not a hard shooter at all.

MrLucky

Pool Fanatic!!
Silver Member
You probably just hit the answer!

Of course weight is important but you know what? the more important factor is the balance and the overall quality and construction of the cue ! in example balance of the cue and the deflection of the shaft IMO! :)

and then as we all know You could put a diamond Tiara and a $2,000 dress on a pig and it will still root in the mud and go oink!!!!!;)

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Inzombiac said:

Anyone fairly new to the game, or those that don't have a very smooth repeatable stroke; weight isn't as much of an issue. For advanced players (at least a B or B+) weight certainly becomes a factor for most. Balance point (more weight to the front or rear) and weight affect your inner rhythm. In general, a lighter cue is easier to swing forward while a heavier cue takes more effort. Any effort is not good.

In less advanced stages players have yet to establish a smooth repeatable swing so you can't be sure of exactly what weight is best for you. If a cue is to heavy one may force the forward motion. If it's to light you may get to quick.

You need to find a cue that you feel matches your normal swing speed. That is the speed one feels which enables you to gradually swing the cue back AND gradually increase the forward progression. If there is any forced motion in either direction (especially forward) it may not be the correct weight for you.

I say may not be because if one lacks very good fundamentals it's just a guessing game. Although a good guess is better than none. Personally I like 18.8 to at very most 19.1 depending on the balance point. If I raised any of my cues by say 1/2 oz it would feel like a wagon tongue! To me weight is huge and I prefer balance point at 18.5" or slightly forward. In time, with more experience you’ll decide what you like best. There is no right or wrong, just what feels best for you.

Rod

StormHotRod300

BigSexy
Silver Member
I like using a heavier cue, because it takes less effort to move the cb around the table. And after a while your muscles get use to it anyways.

I just sold my Espiritu, that i bumped the weight upto almost 21oz's but the cue played NICE!

Even the guy who bought the cue, loves the way it plays. He didnt even ask about the weight lol.

I've got a new cue being made and its going to be atleast a 20oz cue.

My break cue is a 21oz.

I feel like i can break better with a cue that had some weight too it and doesnt feel like a twig.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, balance is the key, and that balance is how the cue feels in your hand. To me my Meuccis, or rear balanced cues feel like I'm "pulling" the weight of the cue. Forward weighted cues like my Schon or Scruggs feel like I'm pushing the weight of the cue....which I like. I also have neutral balance cues which I also like. Like everyone else said, play with as many as you can and go with what you like....not what someone else sais is good...

Gerry