Aim

Just off the top of my head.....

How could this aiming system ever work when you have to measure parallel lines using your eyes. Not only that you have to determine where your straight lines end, and then hope to draw another straight line to connect them. Make a mistake on any of your eyeball measurements and you miss.

I don't know much about any other aiming systems, but it's really not that hard to aim at where you need to hit the object ball. I just get up and shoot, I know where it needs to be hit.

If I miss (which is often) it is because my stroke isn't straight, I didn't adjust for english properly, or I didn't aim right because I wasn't concentrating.

Why would I need to involve parallel lines. I have no idea about Mosconi, but I just find it hard to believe that he was drawing imaginary parallel lines at the table to aim his shots.

Maybe a better technique is to set up the shot and shoot it 500,000 times and then you'll never miss it, no complex aiming systems involved.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
That's just it. You can not possibly aim at the place you need to hit the object ball, and make the shot. The only time the contact point and the aiming point are the same is if the shot is straight in. And the line between contact points is parallel to the line between the center of the cue ball and the aiming point.

But, there are easier ways to determine where you need to aim.

Steve

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
The parallel aiming system was originally devised by Willie Mosconi in his book: Winning Pocket Billiards

uhh no its not.....thats a load of bull willie didn't invent parallel aiming just like Ray Martin didn't invent the tangent line banking system in 99 critical shots....

its about as bogus as when I hear people say mike massey invented the masse' and it was named after him lmfao

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
I'll agree that an aiming method could be useful.

But I don't understand how in a game situation you can draw two perfectly parallel lines and then connect them to help you in aiming.

Maybe with practice you can, but it doesn't seem possible to me.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
HI Pocket-Point,

to think and discuss about an aiming-system is worth every time in my opinion-and like you did it s good for sure (for you!)- -you have always to think about something like that-and then try to find answers for your questions until you re satisfied. Knowledge is the real power! :)
There are so many different ppl playing pool and they re all different, they have different minds (and brains :p hope so...lol). And so it s just typical that not each system works for everyone. You just learn how they re working-and pick out the best what works best for you. For some guys the ghost-ball is working great, because they have great visual abilities- for others the contact-to-contact-point systems work better. Further many ppl have success with *Perfect Aim* oder *CTE*. NO matter what someone tells about a system, if it works for you because YOU understand it, it s just perfect!
If students really asking for aiming-systems or just if they re just unsure if they re aiming wrong, i usualy show them 2-3 aiming-systems and discuss with them about em. This way they learn (perhaps) and understand and maybe they see soon, that they re already aiming better than they think:)
The greater amount of students aiming much better than they think....mostly they just have to work on their technical fundamentals.

aiming-systems are helpful- if it works for you:) but it always increases your knowledge about the game!

lg from overseas,

Ingo

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seeing as this is my specialty I figured I'd try to help a little.

First of all you need to know which eye does what. Open and close one eye while you are aiming and this will help you figure that out.

Right eye to the right and left eye to the left.

You have a dominant eye and a non dominant eye and they both aim differently. This is what makes it so tough. The eyes have to be in the right position or the shot just doesn't look right.

If it doesn't look right it's the eyes. Their not right. You need to know how to adjust.

The best I can tell you on here real quick is to move your head from side to side a little and you will find the spot that will look good or at least much better.

Can you imagine if we held a rifle at the hip and tried to aim. It would be the same as the cue. Fortuanately we know how to put it up to one eye.

Some players shoot with only one eye. They don't have the problem that we have with one eye or the other taking over when it shouldn't. They shoot with one eye like a rifle.

Sometimes when I explain this stuff other players criticize my teaching because they don't understand. If they only knew?

This is the real deal. this is the problem with aiming and that's what I teach.

Give me a call and I'll try to help you understand it a little. Alot can be accomplished with a short phone call.

No charge. Just want to help. 715-563-8712 Geno