A. Hopkins and his commentary!

BAZARUS

alien in a strange land
Silver Member
I just can't stand the way this guy does commentary! He is worst than D.Dilliberto who says 200 times "therefore" in each match :rolleyes:
I'm watching Skins right now and I just coudn't resists to post my opinion here.
I mean this guy is way of the course to predict what players are going to do.
There was a situation just a few minutes ago where Parica was looking what angle to get on the 7 ball to use it to free up the 9 which was on the tip of side pocket and at the same time get shape on the 8 ball. He wanted to get just a little angle and than pocket the 7 and with a little draw free up the 9. Unfortunatelly he hit the 6 to hard and got to much angle to draw from the 7 into the nine. He looked at the situation and started to shake his head. And here comes Hopkins: "Parica got too straight on the 7 and he doesn't like it", and the overhead camera at the same time shows something totally different.
Funny thing is that I knew what Parica was attemting to do and Hopkins didn't.
Its not only that one example, I just don't like the way he does commentary all together.

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
i've never heard anyone say anything positive about his commentary... you should hear him slaughter foreign players' names haha, it's sickening.

BAZARUS

alien in a strange land
Silver Member
branpureza said:
i've never heard anyone say anything positive about his commentary... you should hear him slaughter foreign players' names haha, it's sickening.

I know...
BTW

are you playing this weekend somwhere? I'm not sure whether to go to Hillsborough or Raleigh.

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
man how about basovich, i dont think ive ever seen him play b4, ive heard about his slow play but watching it? sheeeeeeeesh that guy was driving me nuts, then archer is picking lint off of everything and windexing the cueball.

Josh Palmer

I'll take the 6 :)
Silver Member
Dude.. Allen Hopkins is a champion.. don't think he don't know how to play. I didn't see anything weird about it. He 'dumbs' it up a bit for the inexperienced viewer, but I don't think it's bad at all. Billy Incardona says "Therefore" a billion times, but everytime he says it, he's bringing up a valid point, and I'm listening.

BAZARUS

alien in a strange land
Silver Member
Josh Palmer said:
Dude.. Allen Hopkins is a champion.. don't think he don't know how to play. I didn't see anything weird about it. He 'dumbs' it up a bit for the inexperienced viewer, but I don't think it's bad at all. Billy Incardona says "Therefore" a billion times, but everytime he says it, he's bringing up a valid point, and I'm listening.

He is a champion, but that doesn't automatically makes him a good commentator! My opinion is not based on this one particullar example it was just a breaking point and I had to get rid of it somwhere. I'm not going to argue with anyone here, I just think that position like that which goes on national tv and further should be occupied by someone who not only have experience in the game, but also is well spoken etc,etc.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BAZARUS said:
I just can't stand the way this guy does commentary! He is worst than D.Dilliberto who says 200 times "therefore" in each match :rolleyes:
I'm watching Skins right now and I just coudn't resists to post my opinion here.
I mean this guy is way of the course to predict what players are going to do.
There was a situation just a few minutes ago where Parica was looking what angle to get on the 7 ball to use it to free up the 9 which was on the tip of side pocket and at the same time get shape on the 8 ball. He wanted to get just a little angle and than pocket the 7 and with a little draw free up the 9. Unfortunatelly he hit the 6 to hard and got to much angle to draw from the 7 into the nine. He looked at the situation and started to shake his head. And here comes Hopkins: "Parica got too straight on the 7 and he doesn't like it", and the overhead camera at the same time shows something totally different.
Its not only that one example, I just don't like the way he does commentary all together.

If you and Parica had ever come close to playing as good as Hopkins, maybe you would understand!!!!!!!

TheConArtist

Daddy's A Butcher
Silver Member
Fang Pang Cow lol, that was the worse. But i know i couldn't be a commentator, i would be cursing, to loud, or something lol.

Shorty

A banger at best...
Silver Member
I think Allen does a great job, but he does oversimplify things. Mitch gets on my nerves personally...he gets excited about simple shots, and a player goes three rails for shape and it's like nothing happened. I think it's just rehersed/cohersed by ESPN too much. At least either of them don't sit there and argue whether a foul was commited or not like some announcers I have seen. It really gets on my nerves to see an announcer play referree or coach, and that's any sport.

Shorty

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ironman said:
If you and Parica had ever come close to playing as good as Hopkins, maybe you would understand!!!!!!!
Parica has been at the top of the pile way longer than Hopkins.

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
BAZARUS said:
I just can't stand the way this guy does commentary! He is worst,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I mean this guy is way of the course to predict what players are going to do.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.

him and his wife both

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
I can't think of anyone I like when they're doing commentary for ESPN but Allen Hopkins is a legend and only a fool would think he doesn't know what he' s talking about. ESPN has a format that regular pool players, especially those who watch accu-stat tapes, are always going to have a problem with.

He was the best one pocket player in the world for a while, and played 14.1, 9- and 10-ball as well as anyone during his prime. I don't think too many people would argue that he would be a good pick for the hall of fame.

Last edited:

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
I have seen the same thing come up in other TV matches with other Folks. I think it is because from where they sit they can't see all the angles, and they only have one monitor in there little booth, and they are seeing whatever the guy on the main board is putting into there monitor at that moment. Hoppy is great i love him. Him and his wife have done allot of good things for the sport. I remember when the Challenge of Champions started up
he got into a huge battle cause they did not want him to play in a "Non-Sanctioned" event. He broke ground for allot of other players.:D

PoolSleuth

Banned
Well Joe Montana the Quarterback for the 49ers, and I believe one other NFL Took a shot in the Broadcasters Booth. He Sucked at the job, was a monotone boring Sports Commentator.

To those who dislike the work of Allen Hopkins, I suggest you write, or e-mail ESPN.

Personally I think Hopkins work as a Commentator is 1000% better than montana was when he was working as a Football Commentator.

I mostly watch the players, and their shooting when watching pool. Memntally tuning out the yack-it-t-yack.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BAZARUS said:
...There was a situation just a few minutes ago where Parica was looking what angle to get on the 7 ball to use it to free up the 9 which was on the tip of side pocket and at the same time get shape on the 8 ball. He wanted to get just a little angle and than pocket the 7 and with a little draw free up the 9. Unfortunatelly he hit the 6 to hard and got to much angle to draw from the 7 into the nine. He looked at the situation and started to shake his head. And here comes Hopkins: "Parica got too straight on the 7 and he doesn't like it", and the overhead camera at the same time shows something totally different.
I also noticed the above example, and I too understood exactly what Parica was trying to do. However, out of the entire 3-hour block, this is the only situation where I thought he flubbed. Other than that, I thought his commentary was more than adequate. Overall, I think he's a pretty darn good commentator.

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
Bazarus ( and others),

If you don't like Allen Hopkins and Mitch Laurances commentary, then I would suggest starting your own production company or promote your own skins game. Allen Hopkins Productions puts on the "Skins". and I think Mitch Laurances video production company "Two Aces Inc" produces the television which is sold to ESPN. All you got to do after coming up with your company is get the sponsors, venue host, contract with ESPN, etc etc.....

Terry <could care less about commentary but apprieciates "having pool on tv".

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
scottycoyote said:
man how about basovich, i dont think ive ever seen him play b4, ive heard about his slow play but watching it? sheeeeeeeesh that guy was driving me nuts, then archer is picking lint off of everything and windexing the cueball.
Basovich was 10x as annoying as Hopkins. I made ample use of my TiVo's "30-second skip button" whenever he was at the table. If he were thinner it might not have been so bad, but because he moves so much and because he's bigger, I think he sweats more than normal, so not only did I have to watch all the fidgeting and whatnot, but I had to watch him wipe sweat off his face 3x per rack.

But yeah, I don't mind Hopkins. That being said, he's been the announcer for every pool tournament I've seen this past year (2005) and this year on TV, so, I don't have much to compare him to.

JLW

Dunder Mifflin Salesman
Silver Member
As long as he doesn't keep repeating the word "shnookered" I have no problem with Hopkins' commentary. I do think he dumbs things down a little for the masses, but he doesn't really bother me.