As you get better should you use a harder tip?

ktrepal85

Banned
I have only had a tip put on my stick once and I decided to go with a very soft tip. I don't really have any experience playing with hard tips at all and I am used to my soft tip.

Yesterday, I was hitting around with a hard tipped stick and the owner said that as I get better I'll learn to love a hard tip because it throws the ball less. This makes sense to me because usually when I hit a power draw shot my stick often moves off the center axis slightly and I miss the shot due to throw.

So I think I'll replace my tip with something harder. Do you think I should move to medium or should I go straight to hard? Or is this untrue and I should stick with the soft tip?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...a hard tipped stick ... throws the ball less. This makes sense to me because usually when I hit a power draw shot my stick often moves off the center axis slightly and I miss the shot due to throw.
You're probably talking about squirt (CB goes offline with off center hit), not throw (OB goes offline from CB friction).

Tip hardness has little or no effect on squirt or throw.

pj
chgo

ktrepal85

Banned
You're probably talking about squirt (CB goes offline with off center hit), not throw (OB goes offline from CB friction).

Tip hardness has little or no effect on squirt or throw.

pj
chgo

I doubt that. I think a softer tip grabs the cue ball more and gives you more spin.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have only had a tip put on my stick once and I decided to go with a very soft tip. I don't really have any experience playing with hard tips at all and I am used to my soft tip.

Yesterday, I was hitting around with a hard tipped stick and the owner said that as I get better I'll learn to love a hard tip because it throws the ball less. This makes sense to me because usually when I hit a power draw shot my stick often moves off the center axis slightly and I miss the shot due to throw.

So I think I'll replace my tip with something harder. Do you think I should move to medium or should I go straight to hard? Or is this untrue and I should stick with the soft tip?

its not the tip that makes you miss those shots
its that you are not accurate at that power level to hit the cue ball where you want
work on your fundamentals and dont worry about the tip
jmho

ktrepal85

Banned
its not the tip that makes you miss those shots
its that you are not accurate at that power level to hit the cue ball where you want
work on your fundamentals and dont worry about the tip
jmho

I am working on my fundamentals but I'm also considering whether or not a harder tip gives you a little more room for error.

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am working on my fundamentals but I'm also considering whether or not a harder tip gives you a little more room for error.

A hard tip will not give you more room for error. If anything it will give you less, particularly when applying extreme levels of spin as the hard tip will miscue a lot easier than a soft tip that can grab a little on the edges. Due to less "give" with the hard tip, it will transfer more energy than a soft tip. This can give you more velocity and action on the CB with less stroke.

Last edited:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Which causes more inaccuracy:

1) a soft tip causing more squirt? (CB deflection, whatever, which is even debatable whether or not the effect is real),

or,

2) striking the CB harder?

Number two...hands down. Faster = less accurate in almost every physical endeavour.

I often play out a rack with my break cue just to feel the "ping" of a hard tip. I don't like the feel, but it's interesting to experience it every once in while. My break shaft and playing shaft are identical, except for the tips. And the CB deflection is identical. The only differences are the feel and the fact that I'll miscue more often with the hard tip when applying extreme english.

BTW, Efren Reyes uses one of the softest tips on the market - an Elkmaster. Of course, maybe he'll start using a harder tip if he gets better.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, I stand corrected.

No problem. I always thought the same thing and always stuck with soft tips because it's what I was told. Then I started reading Dr. Dave's stuff and I found out a lot of what I thought was right wasn't lol.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
We should thank our lucky stars for Dr. Dave and the info he willingly gives us...

Azazello

Registered
I always get a hard tip 'cuz I'm a cheap bastard. They last longer. Besides, I play 3C so I'd beat a soft tip to mush in about an hour and a half.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should play with a tip that feels natural to you. This is sometimes a bit shaft dependant in my opinion atleast, so try out a few to find a hardness that feels the most natural for you. The effects on spin and power are so small that you can easily adjust to that. I made some testing regarding this, just to clarify it to myself via personal testing, judging feel and making some easily repeatable tests. Test results show that a harder tip produces a tiny little bit more action, however the difference was so small that it wouldnt make or brake any game played. As in a real game you really shouldnt shoot any hero shots that require maximum spin and a stroke that would suffice for a break shot :thumbup:
I too thought that a soft tip is the best, as so many players told me that as true when I got in the game. This seems to be a common thing, even though it is not accurate at all.
Just go by feel, it doesnt take too long to develop an opinion if you want a harder or a softer feeling hit and sound :rolleyes: If I were you I'd have a medium tip next after your current one gets worn out and go from there :embarrassed2:

And a link to the small test thing I did a while back: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5187960&postcount=73

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I doubt that. I think a softer tip grabs the cue ball more and gives you more spin.

I used to think this until I played a few racks with my Phenolic tipped break cue. I have no problem using that cue with draw, follow, and english, I just cant get 2 tips away from the center line without mis-cueing sometimes. That was the last time I bought a soft tip, I figured any leather tip will certainly be softer than a Phenolic tip. I like the way medium and hard tips feel as far as feedback compared to soft tips. The soft tips kinda make the cue feel dead and the more pronounced feedback helps me with speed control.:confused::confused::confused:

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
I can honestly say I have tried most tips lepro, triangle,elkmaster moori etc and maybe its me I really dont notice big differances
It is the Indian not the arrow .
I believe there is no tip that will make you play better,maybe you prefer one over the other but the only only thing that will make you better is PRACTICE
IMHO

2strong4u

Banned
Kamui clear black soft tip...and never look back. I played Moori mediums for over a decade. This tip allows ultimate cue ball control.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
The hardness of the tip isn't causing any miscues. Keep your tip chalked and have a smooth stroke. By the way, how far out do you really need to go?

My personal opinion, use whatever feels good to you. I like Mori mediums or Triangles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk