Mottey

vinnytattoo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 1995 mottey that developed a buzz or ting sound. The noise is not consistant and is not everytime but it is there. It sounds like it is coming from butt. If you can diagnose and fix it please PM me

shamadam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weight bolt is tight! Thanks for the suggestion

OK, then I would do some testing if I could. I would try another shaft with that butt, and
another butt with that shaft, and see if the buzzing is still there. If it's still buzzing with
another shaft, then it's the butt for sure. The second place I would look is the stainless
steel joint sleeve. I've seen the glue on those break too. After that, I'd check the butt
sleeve for the same issue. As for the shaft, I'd look the ferrule first, and the joint collar
next. Good luck.

vinnytattoo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you. I have switched out the shaft and tried several other and the sound is still there. As far as checking the joint or butt sleeve i am not equipped for that. I would need someone who can do that for me. Any suggestions?

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Could be a ring that's broken loose either at the joint or in the butt. Could also be the innards of the A-joint above the wrap. Possible that some epoxy has broken loose inside there and causing it. When the cue is assembled, hold it vertically with just your right hand low in the wrap area and gently tap in the middle of the forearm with your left hand's using your palm/wrist. The cue should vibrate a little, like a tuning fork. Sometimes this can help tell where a buzz is coming from. Tap it lightly though, just enough to feel it vibrate through the butt end of the cue.

shamadam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you. I have switched out the shaft and tried several other and the sound is still there. As far as checking the joint or butt sleeve i am not equipped for that. I would need someone who can do that for me. Any suggestions?

Yes, any cue maker or repairman should be able to heat up the joint sleeve and totally
break the epoxy that's holding it on and then clean it up, and re-epoxy the sleeve on.
As for the butt cap, I highly doubt it would cause the buzz. I think I might have put butt
sleeve, in my earlier post, but I meant butt cap. Again, I don't think it would be the butt
cap, but who knows? Worst case scenario is that the actual wood cracked somewhere.
I hope not, but I guess anything is possible. I hope it's minor.

P.S. - I'm just guessing that the sleeve is stainless. Is it?

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
I have a 1995 mottey that developed a buzz or ting sound. The noise is not consistant and is not everytime but it is there. It sounds like it is coming from butt. If you can diagnose and fix it please PM me

Can you post a picture of the cue? It would be easier to diagnose possible trouble spots if the cue can be seen. What type of bumper and weight bolt are in the cue? Set screws, or long screw? Is the bumper attached with a hex bolt as well? Cue buzz can be a bunch of different things. It can be as simple as a rubber bumper not being attached properly.

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try completely removing the weight bolt and bumper and hit a few balls like that and see if it still buzzes. If so it is definitely internal and will require a good repairman. I suggest Ryan at Muellers or Scot at Proficient Billiards.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
The best obviously would be James White, if he's still doing any cue work. Might try contacting him or spanky.