Coronavirus and BCA Pool League World Championships

markusca

Registered
FWIW, The Western BCA 8 ball championships have been cancelled. Entry fees will be refunded...

The website link:

https://westernbca.org/

If western bca would remove bca from its league name I would definitely try to start a league down here for it. There is already interest and the tournaments it runs seem comparable to Vegas with just as good of competition. Seems bca and apa clearly only care about money and not the players. Maybe its time for something new. BCA actually does zero for me as a player now.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
yep, got the memo in the inbox, "last 4 cancelled", didn't bother to open, already knew giving zero's a chance has zero chance.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not that old.

Lou Figueroa
yet

Any healthcare provider can state their opinion)concerns and it will support their patients case. I get people out of hotel/ travel all the time for illness ect. If you are over 60 your rush is higher.

An elderly player from my room went on a cruise a week ago because he didnt get an immediate refund. That's not wise. Haven't heard how it turned out. If he had spoken to me I'm sure I could get his money back before or after the fact.

They just cancelled the next Joss Stop and Predator 10 ball. These are the correct moves, much as it sucks for pool.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's no mention of this on the website. Do you have a link?

Will be a mass Exodus from Vegas.

Just stay home and s pend time with family,watch old movies and cook your own food own food. If I didn't have to work I'd be home the next month.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like are league representative isn't going to cancel because the main office for the apa said it's the local reps call. Really that's why I quit along time ago .Have to wait to get payed for the playoffs if you win our place. No trophies or nothing. No class at all .And he represents the apa. That's what makes it bad. And no one cares.The apa deserves what they get for employing him as a league operator. Really sad when someone or the apa doesn't care about mankind or all humans in this matter .
LOL REALLY. RICH AKA THE SKUNK.

We cannot expect the government, any corporation or anybody to make the right calls. Do what is best for you and your family. Be prepared for anything as much as possible. Stay informed.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jesus...why not cancel effective today? Two more days of potential infections. I know there are events going on but the health and safety of the players should be paramount. Close up, give a partial refund and be done with it. Instead, they are dragging it out through Tuesday which is probably when the Rio will be closing down. Poor move, CSI.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
forward thinking,not wishful u understand,
for those of us just covering the spread.

still got the bug.png

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jesus...why not cancel effective today? Two more days of potential infections. I know there are events going on but the health and safety of the players should be paramount. Close up, give a partial refund and be done with it. Instead, they are dragging it out through Tuesday which is probably when the Rio will be closing down. Poor move, CSI.

One has to wonder how this will play out in terms of refunds and/or prize money. :rolleyes:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One has to wonder how this will play out in terms of refunds and/or prize money. :rolleyes:

I think they are only cancelling the last four days so they can finish the events that have started over the weekend and scheduled to run through Tuesday.

MichaelEGR

Registered
I have some commentary at the FB post linked, but also made a back up PDF of the CSI covid-19 blog post w/ all the user comments / community outrage preserved.

In short I decided to not attend the CSI / BCA events in Vegas after a March 6th phone call with a CSI representative which led to dismissive comments much like the OP of this post received. At that point I had a vote of no-confidence insofar as CSI being adequately prepared.

I happened to be taking snapshots of the covid-19 blog post on the CSI site. In seeing all the community outrage and critical comments I gathered it was a matter of time before CSI whitewashed / scrubbed that page. I took regular backups to preserve the community outrage at CSI... Well they scrubbed the page of comments tonight so here is a back up from this morning; it's a PDF on Google Drive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UgPA2JUYxPABkPhtkUkdHKw_U7MJ8P8l/view?usp=sharing

My FB post...

Edit (added current CSI blog post link) -
Current CSI blog post sans comments

Last edited:

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got my pool room shut down in Ventura, CA. last night at midnight. I was practicing Social Distancing by renting out only every other table doing a lot of wiping down counters and tables frequently with a bleach solution. I don't feel bad about closing but I do feel bad for my employees right now. The closure is for two weeks but I think it will last much longer. Ventura is only about 100K population but 70 miles north of LA. With our open society, this virus could and will travel around. I've seen a lot of good posts here about hand washing and etc and I think we all need to pay attention and minimize risks to others and ourselves. We will all be playing pool again.

markusca

Registered
Csi did the correct thing in the end. They offered refunds for almost every event that anyone chose not to participate in. They were in a tough position and were going to get criticism from any side no matter what they had done. This thing spread so fast it wouldn’t have made any difference either way.

My apologies to csi if my comments were harsh.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Csi did the correct thing in the end. They offered refunds for almost every event that anyone chose not to participate in. They were in a tough position and were going to get criticism from any side no matter what they had done. This thing spread so fast it wouldn’t have made any difference either way.

My apologies to csi if my comments were harsh.

Right you are Mark, things changed so quickly it's difficult to compare a decision made two weeks ago to one made today. In general I think medical excuses should be given special consideration, even during normal times.

I did find the comments made here in this thread help open my disbelieving eyes to the realities of event cancellations. This helped me in my business. No need to apologize. I believe this was an important thread that helped sway public opinion in a sensible way. You deserve greenies.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right you are Mark, things changed so quickly it's difficult to compare a decision made two weeks ago to one made today. In general I think medical excuses should be given special consideration, even during normal times.

I did find the comments made here in this thread help open my disbelieving eyes to the realities of event cancellations. This helped me in my business. No need to apologize. I believe this was an important thread that helped sway public opinion in a sensible way. You deserve greenies.

I agree. This was an important thread. Thanks to Mark for starting it.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
...now that everybody got their ounce of blood, CSI may be able to claim a hardship,
get some of that POTUS cash if folding becomes real.
This hit is going to need the new season to be big, looking forward to it and the scoop on what went down there from a contender, .
Everybody's happy now, cool

Are there any law suits in the works yet
or is it to early, best wait for a class action type...?

...there is going to be a new season,
right?

Last edited:

leleleo

Good post but they have no way of knowing if everyone is not at risk. Looks like they are covering all their bases the best they possibly can. It's impossible to keep someone out who might be carrying the virus, so it's very important for each individual to practice the good hygiene outlined here. I kind of wish I was there now and yet feel that I made the best decision for myself. My pre-existing condition (asthma) and age (75) make me a good candidate to get very sick if I contract the virus.

That's right, don't take off your mask, don't go out frequently or even party. This is very dangerous.
First of all, don't get sick, keep a healthy diet and get enough sleep. Secondly, keep all the items you come into contact with disinfected and take measurements every day. The non-contact electronic thermometer is the best choice, whether it is for home or company. I have one. It is an accurate and convenient thermometer. Among the expensive thermometers, I found this thermometer with a 50% discount: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086MVY6ZG
code: AXTQ2WRV

markusca

Registered
I had a heart condition that I am just now starting to feel closer to 100%. My Dr. advises that I don't attend events like this because of the current risks and provided me with a note stating that. Most companies in the Bay Area are changing to a strict work from home policy. Almost all companies weeks ago went to a no travel policy. We have seen many events cancelled. There is talk about playing March Madness in empty stadiums, postponing the olympics, etc etc. None of these sports are more intimate than billiards. Shared equipment always gets pretty nasty toward the end of 2 weeks. Coronavirus can reportedly live on surfaces for up to 9 days.

I contacted Lisa at CSI and they share no concerns about the coronavirus. She in fact compared it to sexual harassment in an offhand joking way. They are sticking with their strict no refunds policy after February 21 regardless of any circumstances.
I basically donate my money when I attend this event yearly for the last 8+ years. I don't think I want to donate with out being able to attend. Does anyone else share concerns about attending this event?

edit: adding link to event. https://www.playcsipool.com/2020-bcapl-world-championships.html
Just wondering whether this 'tune' has changed.
No in fact the end result is a permanent ban from csi bca events. Ozzy Reynolds called me a liar for this post and a thief because I reversed charges on the credit card. He then refuses to answer any further emails. Apparently if you disagree with csi’s policies keep it to yourself.