Is it possible to straighten a warped cue shaft?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
About 5 years or so ago Pat Diveney cut me a heck of a deal on a Lake Salvage shaft that he said he would not be able to sell because of the imperfect looking color in one place.

So he made it into a 30" break shaft for my Ebony break cue he was making for me. About a year later it looked a bit crooked to me, not much though. Pat said to send it back and he would straighten it or send me another one.

A month or so later I got it back straight as could be and it still rolls and looks straight. Pat said he has thought about making a video on how to straighten shafts, but is to busy. Next time I get back to my birth place in Iowa I will try to stop by his shop and see if he has time to give me a demo.

Personally, it worked for me so far, but I can also see where it may not always work. Wood just has a mind of it's own some times.

(I also believe based on what I have learned about Lake Salvage wood, submerged, etc. The time spent submerged n cold water changes the impurities in the woods molecule's. ) Don't ask me to explain it. LOL

i read that the secret to the tone of a Stradavari may’ve been the fact that the wood was
stored in sea water before it was dried.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank You!

Just a quick "Thank You" to the other guys that gave feedback concerning cell structure. All grist for the mill!

Interesting to think that the shaft might become harder and stiffer hitting as the cell walls break down. Seems counter intuitive but some things are.

Hu

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The submerged wood or " Lake Salvaged lumber" were from old trees.
Imagine how old they were when they were cut in the early 1900's or late 1800's.
Centuries old ?
Same with the Strad violins. How are you going to get woods like what he used? Even if you submerge them in freezing water.

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see that it is a Woods cue that is warped. These really are rush job cues, and the wood wouldn't have been rested. Check out the snooker forum, issues with Woods cues are very common.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
I clicked the link and I really like the font used on this liveabout.com forum.

It's very east to read. I wonder which font this is?

It's a Woods cue. After I posted this, I found this:

How to straighten a bent cue stick shaft

Figuring I had nothing to lose, I followed step 3, "Bend It Back." It worked! Holy cow. It's still not perfect, I will continue to tweak it a bit, than hang it up for a week or so. But, amazing.

I would appreciate any other advice on caring for a snooker cue, like oils, and ho to re-fill the grain.

Thanks,

jv