Hawley's in Dallas: Closed

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad week for pool in the DFW area. Hawley's, an institution since 1993, has closed. I was just there a few weeks ago playing Snooker with Bert Kinister, and we had a great time. I only discovered it about two years ago when I got back into pool, but the staff was always nice and Walter was a great guy.

Here is Walter's post on Facebook a few days ago.

https://www.facebook.com/HawleysBilliardsParlor

I am sorry to report that our landlord on Oct. 10th, 2013 locked us out of our business due to back rent not paid.

Due to many factors outside of our control, we were unable to make enough business under our pool room business model to pay all the rent, despite having been in that location for over 20 years. Our landlord worked with us in our efforts to turnaround the business and more recently while we tried to find investors, but I suppose they decided they waited long enough.

We developed an alternative Pub style restaurant business plan incorporating a full kitchen, lots of dining tables and booths and fewer pool tables but was unable to find committed investors prior to the lockout.

So unless one of you wants to invest about $250,000 to see the last family owned single location pool rooms in Dallas reopened, we will be permanently closed.

To the best customers and employees one could ever ask for, thanks for everything over the past 20 years

Walter
Hawley's Billiards

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's sad news. Although I never went there, I did have a great experience with Walter.

Last year I wanted to buy a Z2 shaft. Both pooldawg and ozone were out of stock, but Walter was able to get one for me. I was accidentally sent a 314-2 instead, and he told me I could use it until I received the Z2. He was even kind enough to refund the next day air shipping cost.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pool's down cycle is about over, there's some great things on the horizon.

Sad week for pool in the DFW area. Hawley's, an institution since 1993, has closed. I was just there a few weeks ago playing Snooker with Bert Kinister, and we had a great time. I only discovered it about two years ago when I got back into pool, but the staff was always nice and Walter was a great guy.

Here is Walter's post on Facebook a few days ago.

https://www.facebook.com/HawleysBilliardsParlor

I am sorry to report that our landlord on Oct. 10th, 2013 locked us out of our business due to back rent not paid.

Due to many factors outside of our control, we were unable to make enough business under our pool room business model to pay all the rent, despite having been in that location for over 20 years. Our landlord worked with us in our efforts to turnaround the business and more recently while we tried to find investors, but I suppose they decided they waited long enough.

We developed an alternative Pub style restaurant business plan incorporating a full kitchen, lots of dining tables and booths and fewer pool tables but was unable to find committed investors prior to the lockout.

So unless one of you wants to invest about $250,000 to see the last family owned single location pool rooms in Dallas reopened, we will be permanently closed.

To the best customers and employees one could ever ask for, thanks for everything over the past 20 years

Walter
Hawley's Billiards

Hawley's was simply in a bad area the got much worse, no fault of Walter or "The Game". I had it happen to me a couple times through the years and sometimes you just have to move on and get another location to conduct business.

Pool's down cycle is about over, there's some great things on the horizon......by this time next year we will be in a whole other "pool" world. 'The Game is the Teacher'

sonny_burnett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still have a Kinister video! Always curious of his background.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool's down cycle is about over, there's some great things on the horizon......by this time next year we will be in a whole other "pool" world.

Aside from a high profile tournament (which would only delay the inevitable), I doubt anything can ever make pool more than what it is. A game. Recreation. A waste of time. Fun. But a waste of time.

jwe711

The Great Cue Masters...!
Silver Member
Man, What a disappointment...

I travel a lot, and that was one of my favorite places to stop and visit old friends...and get into a game or two...

and, Walter's always been such a good guy...Just a few weeks ago, he sent me a mint, straight shaft...for 80 bucks...

I've known him and the place for at least 20 years...when I lived up there...

Walter, I hope to keep in touch through here...and I hope you might consider opening up another place...!!! Let us Know...!!!

We'll miss you !!!

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
Sad news! I have only been there a couple times. It was a nice place. Just in a bad part of town. I met Walter about six months ago. He genuinely loves pool and it's a shame he lost the business. Hope he finds the funds to open in a better place.

I had a cue on consignment in the for sale case. Guess the landlord owns it now. The biggest loss for me is the loss of a place to go, where the owner cared about the game!

Larry

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Pool's down cycle is about over, there's some great things on the horizon......by this time next year we will be in a whole other "pool" world. 'The Game is the Teacher'

So as I am curious, how is their turn around going to happen? Are some major American Corporations going to spend money to promote Pool?