Anybody wanna get rid of a Model B lathe?

homer

Banned
You Don't want a Porper Model B lathe

JoeyInCali said:
Lemme know if you do.
I'd consider getting one but for $3500, no.
You don't want a porper model b. For one, they sell new for $3400 +$200 shipping . Not $3800 plus shipping like this guy out here is trying to sell his for used.. BiAll of the new ones have big problems with the chuck having a hell of alot of run out in them that's not easily remedied without spending another huge chunk of change. Rumor is that Porper had two separate contractors, that he subcontracted the building of these lathes too. I'm not exactly sure of the production dates or anything else, but all of the new ones and some of the older ones, I guess ones made in the last 7-10 years, are nothing more than repair lathes. I'm talking about the overpriced model b lathes. It's literally impossible to make a complete cue in this lathe because of the runout problem in the chuck. Bisson knows of the problem and states that it's not the chuck, but the design of the adapter that porper uses and the lathe design in general. I've only seen a couple of these lathe that could be zeroed in, and they were said to be a few of the 1st model b lathes manufactured. Mueller has an article about this very problem that is published right in their catalog.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bison is correct, it is not the chuck. This little 4 " chuck is very accurate. The problem is in the design of the machine.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
Negative article in Mueller catalog

> I have looked at literally every page in the Mueller catalog,and have yet to find this article,and found nothing on the site. Anyone care to elaborate or perhaps scan it and send it to me? Tommy D.

Jon

Custom User Title
Silver Member
Nomoney said:
Homer you don't know what your talking about. it's not the lathe, it's the operator.
So you are saying that if the chuck has severe run-out, that the operator is supposed to be able to compensate for it?

You've got to be kidding........................

Thanks,

Jon

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
BiG_JoN said:
So you are saying that if the chuck has severe run-out, that the operator is supposed to be able to compensate for it?

You've got to be kidding........................

Thanks,

Jon
Put a duct tape on one of the jaws I guess. :rolleyes:

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
I don't use any of the ready made cue lathes. I have about a dozen different lathes, of different sizes and configurations, set up in my shop and use them each for certain operations. What I do, if I encounter spindle run-out on a machine, is to set up a tool post grinder and machine the jaws of the chuck, so that it; #1 runs true, and #2 is shaped in a manner that does not damage the work piece as easily as the standard chuck jaws. It helps if you use something that's "known round", (like an old bearing race) to tighten the outer jaws onto first to ensure that any play in the chuck scroll is set, before you maching the jaws. HTH
Sherm

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sherms way of truing up metal lathe chuck jaws is very good. On my Cue Smith Lathes the soft part of the chuck jaws are made of aluminum. This is called soft jaws and are easily bored with a small boring bar. This usually gets the chuck turning within a thousandth or so of dead nuts.
Chris
www.hightowercues.com