Are there many scamers here on AZ trying to steal peoples cues?

I am curious if very many of you have had people (that do not have much of an itrader rating) ask you to ship ship your cue to them 1st, and then they would pay you after they receive the cue?

I understand that this is not much of a risk, if the AZ member has a very high itrader, and is very well known and respected on az, but for a member that has an itrader rating of like 4, this would be very risky, right?

I just had a guy request me to ship him my Jacoby cue, and he told me that he would pay me next week on Monday.

I just thought right away that he was trying to scam me.

Just curious if this happens to many others on here.

Hopefully nobody on here is getting scammed out of their cues.

Too many dis honest people out there to trust anyone that you do not know can be trusted.

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me a scam requires at least an ounce of cleverness. This doesn't even qualify in my book. I wouldn't go near it, especially given what's been going on here lately.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
There are dealers and others that have shipped first in the past.

That requires a bit of time dealing with that particular person so the Trust Factor is there.

You don't walk out of any establishment, Wal Mart, grocery store or bar without using, cash, debit or credit card. Put it on my tab, I'll pay you when I get paid.

If a person has to wait until they get paid to do a deal, that means that they don't have one penny in the bank for disposable income.

"I'd gladly pay you tomorrow for a Hamburger eaten today".

If you wanted to be a good guy, the most that you could do is tell him that you will hold the cue for him until his Pay Pal Transaction has cleared. You don't really owe him that much even and beyond that, it can be first come first served.

This type of deal or similar has happened in the past. He has your cue and then the excuses start. Oh, the car broke down, had to pay a Dr. bill, etc, etc. They will promise you the World or their First Born until they are in possession of the cue. All of a sudden, stop answering phone calls and emails. You're suddenly not on the priority list any longer.

Cue Makers and repairmen do this sort of thing with each other frequently but that is a different breed of Dog than what yer talking about.

I recently had an offer from Chuck Starkey to try out one of his new full splice jigs that he had made. Try and buy later or just pay for shipping to me and back if I decide not.

That makes a guy feel good.

But then Chucks Customer Service that he provides his customers reflect that.

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
neither side is in good shape in a transaction where one side has no i trader and few posts.

the seller is crazy to ship without money and the buyer is crazy to send money first. so in this case they need an intermediary.

so in general don't do business with someone who is new or doesn't have a good reputation for any amount you care about losing.

THE MONTREALER

THE MONTREALER
Silver Member
neither side is in good shape in a transaction where one side has no i trader and few posts.

the seller is crazy to ship without money and the buyer is crazy to send money first. so in this case they need an intermediary.

so in general don't do business with someone who is new or doesn't have a good reputation for any amount you care about losing.

HI my mother always told me do not trust anyone. Before you send the cue make sure that you are paid for it. When you purchase a item from ebay you are obliged to pay the seller before you receive your item.

When you read the bill it says in God we trust but everyone pays cash. There are a lot of scamers here on Azbilliards look out for them

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really? .......Unless you are dealing with a relative, you should never trust anyone to pay you later for the cue today........that's worst than getting a burger today and paying next Tuesday.
Only Wimpy is dumb enough to ask. New buyers at cue dealer websites have to pay first. Trust this person & you're just looking to post about getting ripped off or a cue returned damaged.......IMO.

Matt

Last edited:

THE MONTREALER

THE MONTREALER
Silver Member
Really? .......Unless you are dealing with a relative, you should never trust anyone to pay you later for the cue today........that's worst than getting a burger today and paying next Tuesday.
Only Wimpy is dumb enough to ask. New buyers at cue dealer websites have to pay first. Trust this person & you're just looking to post about getting ripped off or a cue returned damaged.......IMO.

Matt

HI What does it mean Bavafongoul i am italian and i know what that means I enjoy reading your Posts

Cheers Leonard

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I just had a guy request me to ship him my Jacoby cue, and he told me that he would pay me next week on Monday.

At least he told you when you would get paid, which is a step toward selling your Jacoby.
Tell him that you will get the cue ready to ship, and as soon as you see the payment you will mail it to him.
Lately I've had several AZ members promise a payment on a certain day and they have come throught every time.
Many times I'll ship in advance, but on this one I would wait, and I would wait to mark it sold as well.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
There's a gentleman in the stickies in the want to buy/sell section that offers an escrow service for $20 a transaction. Arrange with your buyer/ ship cue to escrow/ when cash is received cue ships to him, problem solved. Next!

Well, I am a trusted seller/trader on here, so I should not have to send the cue to a person that offers escrow. I just had a really bad feeling about the guy because at 1st he told me that he did not use paypal, and he would send me a money order, but then asked me when I would ship the cue (sounding to me like he wanted me to ship it before I received his money order), and then after I told him that I would ship the cue as soon as I received his money order, he stopped replying back to me. I just have a really bad feeling about the guy, and think that he might be dis honest about receiving the cue after he were to receive it, and end up with a free cue anyways. Unless we are dealing with someone we know, or with a well respected seller, then we do not know if a new buyer is going to be honest about what they receive in the mail, because there would be no way to prove what was shipped and what was really received. Sorry for creating this thread, but I just felt really annoyed after all of the time that I had wasted trying to get a deal with the person, but his communication was so slow. I really wanted to name him out to warn people on here about him (to tell everyone how slow his communication is, and how he tried 2 times to try to get me to ship my cue out 1st before I would get paid by him), but that would not be right I do not think, because I do not know if he is actually trying to scam people out of their cues, and he does have 4 good itraders on here with a 100% rating. I always get scared of dis honest buyers (that are very new) even when they do pay me 1st, and then I ship the item out, because I do not know if they will be honest about what they receive from me. It is scary doing business through the mail. The mail system is based on trust, and not everyone is honest.

There's a gentleman in the stickies in the want to buy/sell section that offers an escrow service for $20 a transaction. Arrange with your buyer/ ship cue to escrow/ when cash is received cue ships to him, problem solved. Next!

Last edited:

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Well, I am a trusted seller/trader on here, so I should not have to send the cue to a person that offers escrow. I just had a really bad feeling about the guy because at 1st he told me that he did not use paypal, and he would send me a money order, but then asked me when I would ship the cue (sounding to me like he wanted me to ship it before I received his money order), and then after I told him that I would ship the cue as soon as I received his money order, he stopped replying back to me. I just have a really bad feeling about the guy, and think that he might be dis honest about receiving the cue after he were to receive it, and end up with a free cue anyways. Unless we are dealing with someone we know, or with a well respected seller, then we do not know if a new buyer is going to be honest about what they receive in the mail, because there would be no way to prove what was shipped and what was really received. Sorry for creating this thread, but I just felt really annoyed after all of the time that I had wasted trying to get a deal with the person, but his communication was so slow. I really wanted to name him out to warn people on here about him (to tell everyone how slow his communication is, and how he tried 2 times to try to get me to ship my cue out 1st before I would get paid by him), but that would not be right I do not think, because I do not know if he is actually trying to scam people out of their cues, and he does have 4 good itraders on here with a 100% rating. I always get scared of dis honest buyers (that are very new) even when they do pay me 1st, and then I ship the item out, because I do not know if they will be honest about what they receive from me. It is scary doing business through the mail. The mail system is based on trust, and not everyone is honest.

Doesn't matter whether you are a trusted seller or not...in today's W/FS environment, escrow is insurance for both sides. Unless you are dealing with someone you are dead nutz sure about...escrow is the only way to go anymore. When you're talking about the potential to lose hundreds to thousands on a cue deal... $20 is a small price to pay.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Disagree as usual

Doesn't matter whether you are a trusted seller or not...in today's W/FS environment, escrow is insurance for both sides. Unless you are dealing with someone you are dead nutz sure about...escrow is the only way to go anymore. When you're talking about the potential to lose hundreds to thousands on a cue deal... $20 is a small price to pay.

Most are excellent here. I offer money back on everything I sell no question asked less shipping costs. Most here do too, but I just speak for myself. Ken

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Most are excellent here. I offer money back on everything I sell no question asked less shipping costs. Most here do too, but I just speak for myself. Ken

Apparently...there are many more that don't, or there wouldn't be the number of 'bad deals' threads that have occurred in the last few years.

Standing behind what you sell shows integrity...something that appears to be diminishing in today's day and age. Heck, some of the sellers here lately can't even spell it...lol!

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member

Exactly, well put

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am curious if very many of you have had people (that do not have much of an itrader rating) ask you to ship ship your cue to them 1st, and then they would pay you after they receive the cue?

I understand that this is not much of a risk, if the AZ member has a very high itrader, and is very well known and respected on az, but for a member that has an itrader rating of like 4, this would be very risky, right?

I just thought right away that he was trying to scam me.

Just curious if this happens to many others on here.

Hopefully nobody on here is getting scammed out of their cues.

Too many dis honest people out there to trust anyone that you do not know can be trusted.

Hard to believe, it is a small world.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member

Speaking for myself, I don't see that much difference in the selling environment these days, nobody has ever lost a nickle dealing with me, I almost got porked by the famous Bryan Kozy on a crappy Pechauer, but I have never needed or been asked about escrow.
If escrow was the only way to sell a certain cue, and if it had enough value to make it worthwhile.
If I'm buying a cue valuable enough for me to be concerned, I would do the deal face-to-face, or make sure it's with someone I know I can trust.
Worrying about escrow on a used Jacoby is ridiculous.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say about 20% work some kind of scam. chisel afterwards, say there is a big scratch, ship you wrapped stuff as straight etc. at least that's my experience.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Speaking for myself, I don't see that much difference in the selling environment these days, nobody has ever lost a nickle dealing with me, I almost got porked by the famous Bryan Kozy on a crappy Pechauer, but I have never needed or been asked about escrow.
If escrow was the only way to sell a certain cue, and if it had enough value to make it worthwhile.
If I'm buying a cue valuable enough for me to be concerned, I would do the deal face-to-face, or make sure it's with someone I know I can trust.
Worrying about escrow on a used Jacoby is ridiculous.

I get what you're saying...but for some people, it might be worth it. Not everyone is as versed in buying and selling cues as yourself or others here...LOTS of people just getting into the cue bug thing. In all honesty, they're the one's most likely to get scammed or to encounter a bad deal. Some of us tend to get a 6th sense when a deal might not feel right...others are just caught up in getting a new cue.