The party is over...

miscrewed1989

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, after taking a year off from the job which I had held for nearly 25 years, I am going back to work tomorrow! Not with the same company, but with a different manufacturing company where I will be in charge of the shipping dept. During the last 12 months I have played alot of pool, spent hours thinking about my purpose in life, and figuring out who I am as a person. I have met people from all walks of life who share the same passion for pool which I have. People who have made a living knocking balls into holes on a table, and people who spend every available moment of free time trying to improve at the game. It has been a wild ride! Now, my time on the felt is going to be limited. Instead of the 40-60 hours a week I have become accustomed to, I will be spending that time earning a legitimate paycheck. Though the stresses of paying my rent and utilities will be eased, I will genuinely miss the time spent with my fellow players. I'm hoping that what I have learned over the last several months will allow me to maintain my current skill level and continue to improve. I am definitely a much more solid player than I was 6 months ago and I'm planning on putting in 2-3 hours of practice time each day after work with some weekend action. Even if my game slips, this decision will improve my life.
Is it possible, once a player reaches a certain level, to maintain that level with minimal practice and playing time? Surely there are others out there who have gone through a similar situation...

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Your purpose in life, miscrewed, is to procreate.
Your mission in life is to get laid so that you can procreate.
Your goal in life is to get laid as many times as possible in order to increase your chances of procreating.
Anything else is just something to do while your waiting to to get laid again. :smile:

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, after taking a year off from the job which I had held for nearly 25 years, I am going back to work tomorrow! Not with the same company, but with a different manufacturing company where I will be in charge of the shipping dept. During the last 12 months I have played alot of pool, spent hours thinking about my purpose in life, and figuring out who I am as a person. I have met people from all walks of life who share the same passion for pool which I have. People who have made a living knocking balls into holes on a table, and people who spend every available moment of free time trying to improve at the game. It has been a wild ride! Now, my time on the felt is going to be limited. Instead of the 40-60 hours a week I have become accustomed to, I will be spending that time earning a legitimate paycheck. Though the stresses of paying my rent and utilities will be eased, I will genuinely miss the time spent with my fellow players. I'm hoping that what I have learned over the last several months will allow me to maintain my current skill level and continue to improve. I am definitely a much more solid player than I was 6 months ago and I'm planning on putting in 2-3 hours of practice time each day after work with some weekend action. Even if my game slips, this decision will improve my life.
Is it possible, once a player reaches a certain level, to maintain that level with minimal practice and playing time? Surely there are others out there who have gone through a similar situation...

Pool requires free mind, no negative thinking of family, wife, kids, mother father sisters, or even work, no over due chores, good health over all, 100% guilt free mind, obviously majority of us pool players do not have it, but it times we are close, and that is when we function the best, with minimal exercise i grantee you will always be playing at high level

miscrewed1989

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been there, done that

Your goal in life is to get laid as many times as possible in order to increase your chances of procreating.
Anything else is just something to do while your waiting to to get laid again. :smile:

Although that lifestyle was fun for a brief time, I found that in the end it ALWAYS caused more problems than it was worth. Now, I'm happiest doing what I want, when I want, with no worries of repercussions from one or many whom I may have pretended to care about for the sole purpose of "getting laid". The most loyal and trustworthy friend I have has 4 legs, barks at strangers, and loves me unconditionally! He doesn't care if I go shoot pool until the wee hours as long as he gets to go to his favorite bush to relieve himself.

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member

Purpose, mission and goal fulfilled. Now I'm just on cruise control having some fun. :D

"Popeye"

living vicariously
Silver Member
I'm interested to know how good your game got with putting that much time in on the table. What was your rating when you started this journey and what are you now? I know I saw a past posting with someone trying to go from a D to a A in 6 months. Wonder how far your game came in this time period.

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
I'm interested to know how good your game got with putting that much time in on the table. What was your rating when you started this journey and what are you now? I know I saw a past posting with someone trying to go from a D to a A in 6 months. Wonder how far your game came in this time period.

Ditto.

Good post miscrewed.Good luck and congratz on your new job.I think you can maintain your playing level with minimal practice/playtime...allmost.You will probably have to put in some serious playing time to get into top form though.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
It would be interesting (and perhaps telling) to see what part of your pool game slips first.

I know that for me the most difficult part of having just an hour a day to play is that I'd rather "play" than shoot drills or practice difficult shots.

Best of luck in your new situation.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Congrats on your new job. I think you can maintain your level of playing as long as you do get some practice in even if it is just hitting balls for an hour or so. I wish you much success with your endeavors! Keep up the good work!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you already have good fundamentals and knowledge, then it will come back to you after an hour or so...it's the control necessary for shape that will take a bit longer.

I read that champions want a few weeks to prepare for a tournament to get back in the game.