Is an 18' x 13' room a no go for a 9' table?

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Is taking a wall down an option? You would be surprised how much space you can get by taking down walls.

Check out http://lallygone.com, it an NJ company that specializes in taking out structural walls and lally columns.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just do it. You're going to have a grand ol' time.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 440

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a classic example of someone asking for advice because they know better and want someone else to tell them what they want to hear so later they can say 'well they said'.

I understand that it may look this way to you, but it's not true. I really wanted it to work, but I hadn't thought about exact dimensions necessary for backstroke of the cue and how often the short cue would be needed. It's also a compromise with the rest of the family. If it's pushed to one side it will just look too odd and the lighting will be off. If it's centered in the room, it's short cues way too often. If it's a smaller table, it ain't fun for me.

I even scheduled a basement waterproofer to come take a look at the seepage issues we have.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is taking a wall down an option? You would be surprised how much space you can get by taking down walls.

Check out http://lallygone.com, it an NJ company that specializes in taking out structural walls and lally columns.

I haven't considered that, but it's really not a possibility for us. But thanks for the suggestion.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand that it may look this way to you, but it's not true. I really wanted it to work, but I hadn't thought about exact dimensions necessary for backstroke of the cue and how often the short cue would be needed. It's also a compromise with the rest of the family. If it's pushed to one side it will just look too odd and the lighting will be off. If it's centered in the room, it's short cues way too often. If it's a smaller table, it ain't fun for me.

I even scheduled a basement waterproofer to come take a look at the seepage issues we have.

Why don't you follow the advice from the old RSB FAQ (quoted on Dr. Dave's page). Talk to your favourite pool hall about doing this, and if they agree, then (a) measure your dimensions at home carefully, (b) bring a short cue and pieces of plywood with you to the hall and set them up as walls, (c) play for a few hours, using the shorty when needed.

I suppose you could also do a Les Nessman and just put masking tape on the floor where the walls would be, but you'd need to make sure you didn't cheat (either with the cue or with your feet - you might have a stance issue with those dimensions on shots you can still hit).

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
Just sell your 9 footer and get a diamond bar box. I have a full size pro am and accommodating it every time I move is a *****. I think the diamond bar boxes are an excellent compromise and still challenging to play on.

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put in too small a room and it may suffer as a storage table

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Don't do it to yourself. Those shots will come into play more than you think, and you will not enjoy it. Get a table tat fits the room.

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member
I have the exact same sized room (18x13) and test fitted a 9' table using the tried and true "put tape down on the floor, dummy" method... It was not pretty and would not be fun to play in that room.

Eventually settled on a oversized 7' table that RKC narrowed the pockets on and it fits absolutely fantastic in the room, plays like a million bucks and has absolutely zero issues with shots anywhere in the room.

So decide if you want the table for playing pool, or looking cool. 9' will look fantastic in the room but play like garbage with mini-cues and the like. Your call.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all of the great advice, everyone. We may put in a smaller table that can accommodate a ping pong table top and just turn the basement into a multi-game game room. I'm not really into playing on a smaller table, but it would be fun for parties and family get-togethers.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Have you used them or know anyone who did?

Still a work in progress but coming along. Removed two lally columns (load bearing) and the wall separating rooms (non load bearing).

They removed the poles and bolted two steel C channels on both sides of the header. They're structural engineers, I wouldn't trust doing this myself. Just this costs $5k. I removed the other wall and refinished everything separately. So far, I'm about 10k into my basement remodel. Still a lot more to do but it's nice having a table at home.

BzllMOk.png

wy4gMvB.png

1sttbone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for reasonable comfort 21ft. by 16ft. is more like what you would be happy with. to have a good nine footer with plenty of room is great entertainment.

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
i'm not sure why you're listening to doubters who Haven't done this but want to jaw about it anyway, when i told you i had a 9' GC in a room 1 foot *smaller*, playing the same game you are, and it was just fine.

i learned how to break 50 in that 17x13 room, so your 18x13 is Very manageable.

am i happier now that it's in a 21x16? sure.

but i'm also very glad i kept playing when it was in the small room; i learned a helluva lot and had a lot of fun..

i'm embarassed to put this up -- it's pretty sloppy, and there's a miss near the beginning when i try to throw a ball with inside -- but here's a 51 on video in that very room to show you what it's like to play 14.1 in a Smaller room than you have:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojrdSDKxBq0

you can see me reach for the short cue at 9:00 for the first time, at 14:20, at 20:30 and at 25:00. 4x in 51 balls.

doesn't look so unpleasant, does it?

Last edited:

asiasdad

Banned
the minimum room size for a 9-footer is 15x20 feet.

What he said, and I don't move my 9ft table into any house that does not have
at least 16x22 ft. space as I do not like feeling cramped. I also do not buy a
house that does not have at least a 20x24 space for my personal pool room.

I have driven real estate agents crazy over the years.