$500 break cue

Heyalex40

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you needed a break cue and had $500, what would you buy? Open to custom or production cues.

cowboyup200560

Always lookin......
Silver Member
breaker

If you needed a break cue and had $500, what would you buy? Open to custom or production cues.

Straight break or Jump/break? for a dedicated break i really like the jacoby hybrid. for a jump break ive always loved my andy gilbert i had. i actually liked the gilbert over the jacoby even not using the jump section.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
With $500 and assuming you want to spend within $50 of that (no silly $100 “J&J and pocket the rest” or “save $200 more for a BKRush” answers)....

Andy Gilbert. Since nobody other than everyone else already said it.

Freddie <~~~ Gilbert J/B x 2

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
if you followed pro pool over the past dozen or so years, the majority seemed to be using Predator BK2 break cues. Understanding that sponsorships played some part in it, it was also true that many were using them because they really liked them.

I think the orig BK and BK2s are about as good as you can get but subjectivity can also come into play.

I've had Sledgehammers, Brick dymondwood, Orange Crush and a couple others and I feel that the BK1 & 2 are brilliant.

These are discontinued but do come up here, on FB and eBay in real nice shape usually under $300.

Put on something like a white diamond (phenolic) or a Samsara (leather) tip and you would be in good shape.

These BKs worked real well for many top players over a long period of time - no reason one couldn't do the job for you.

GLuck

best,
brian <---- did that thing Freddie referred to where the op could pocket $200

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
For $600, I would reach out to Mike Gulyassy. He invented the Sledgehammer, so he may know a thing or two about building break cues.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB

I’ve had Mezz and Gilbert and tried plenty of Predators and I like my current OB the best.

The Gilbert’s are great cues but they’re basically a stout playing cue in a jump break format. Excellent quality but not the best breaker really when it comes to being a truly dedicated break cue.

Mezz and Predator are both good. Had the Mezz Kai and liked it right up until I tried my OB.

The OB has this thick handle taper and a great shaft taper. I feel like I break harder without trying harder if that makes any sense. And I have fewer wild breaks with it where the cue ball ends up off the table.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Andy Gilbert J/B

This. These are some of the best all around cues out there and they break extremely well. Add a white diamond tip and you got a monster break cue. Add a Ultraskin heavy and you will have a cue that not only breaks good but plays great as well.

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Samsara J/B with a Samsara tip is excellent and often for sale (new) on the forums in that price range.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I been breaking with a BK3 for the last couple of years, I like it.
If I was buying today I think I would go with Mezz.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A bromine cue hits tons better than ANY Gilbert by a mile. I've hit break cues from jj cheapo to expensive as you can imagine and I promise Bromine break or JB cues are in a league of their own.

They are dymalux. His taper is better than Brick's, Lane's, Lomax, Gilbert and anyone else you can think of ........ bar NONE.

BTW, he is a newcomer compared to most so his price is WWWAAAYYY below what it should be.

You that know me in person, take my word, his ues will triple in value very soon.

Warren K, Dennis, Danny S and Josh R all hit with it at the Cliff joiner benefit and all said the same:

Breaks good, who made it?

His jump breaks sell for far less than bricks, lanes but hit even better.

Don't take my word for it. Search one out and see for yourself.

Dude is a genius with breaks and J/B's.

Mark my word, his cues will be up there one day.

BTW, he make a damn awesome jump cue as well, freaking awsome.

Rake