Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Joe Rogan - "Pro pool players look down on bowlers"
Reply
Page 5 of 5 « First 345
 
Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#61)
camaro69926
AzB Bronze Member
camaro69926 has a reputation beyond reputecamaro69926 has a reputation beyond reputecamaro69926 has a reputation beyond reputecamaro69926 has a reputation beyond reputecamaro69926 has a reputation beyond reputecamaro69926 has a reputation beyond reputecamaro69926 has a reputation beyond reputecamaro69926 has a reputation beyond reputecamaro69926 has a reputation beyond reputecamaro69926 has a reputation beyond reputecamaro69926 has a reputation beyond repute
 
camaro69926's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Bettendorf Ia
   
05-07-2019, 10:57 AM

Texas Hold'em Poker took off in no time to the mainstream. I think mainly because of the gambling and the strategy of the game. Pool has plenty of gambling in it. Maybe advertise that instead of hiding it (as in days past). If somebody is a long shot in a tournament put some odds on each player and promote the gambling side. I know that wont clean the rep that the sport has, but why not just go with it.
  
Reply With Quote

Old
  (#62)
Pete
AzB Silver Member
Pete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond repute
 
Pete's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,551
vCash: 500
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MA
   
05-07-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69926 View Post
Texas Hold'em Poker took off in no time to the mainstream. I think mainly because of the gambling and the strategy of the game. Pool has plenty of gambling in it. Maybe advertise that instead of hiding it (as in days past). If somebody is a long shot in a tournament put some odds on each player and promote the gambling side. I know that wont clean the rep that the sport has, but why not just go with it.

The big difference (not that you don't know this) imo is that anyone can get lucky and win Texas Hold'm. But when it comes to pool the best players always will beat the weak.

Sure the weak can get lucky and have a good day, but you'll never see a C player beat an Open Pro playing even.

Now if your thinking using gaffs and handi-caps then sure, like Hand Span for a good B player against an Open Pro would be interesting to watch...
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#63)
Bic D
AzB Silver Member
Bic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond repute
 
Bic D's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 366
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: North Carolina
   
05-07-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostroke View Post
2 of her last 3 wins were KOs, Beth Correia and Alexis Davis, both in Rd 1 under 35 seconds one of whom she knocked COLD while chasing her along the ropes-the other with a flurry.

Both those ladies have a better than 2-1 winning record-No wonder Joe felt the way he did.-not to mention Ronda.
Ronda executed a beautiful O goshi against Alexis Davis and once on the ground, Davis had absolutely no idea what to do and allowed Ronda to hit in the face multi times before the ref stopped it. Ronda was excellent against women who had caught up with the sport yet.

Rogan cried when he said that Ronda was a once in a life time fighter and said that she could beat 50% of the men in her weight class. Ronda went on to say that she could beat then heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez. Rogan retracted his statement and Ronda just got exposed.

If she would have had a better coach and stuck to her strengths....She might still be there. Might
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#64)
spartan
AzB Silver Member
spartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond repute
 
spartan's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 5,165
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Aug 2013
   
Talking 05-07-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bic D View Post
I don't know...I might prefer the one-piece overalls over this



  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#65)
buttnkdwonder
AzB Bronze Member
buttnkdwonder has a reputation beyond reputebuttnkdwonder has a reputation beyond reputebuttnkdwonder has a reputation beyond reputebuttnkdwonder has a reputation beyond reputebuttnkdwonder has a reputation beyond reputebuttnkdwonder has a reputation beyond reputebuttnkdwonder has a reputation beyond reputebuttnkdwonder has a reputation beyond reputebuttnkdwonder has a reputation beyond reputebuttnkdwonder has a reputation beyond reputebuttnkdwonder has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 17
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jul 2018
   
05-08-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69926 View Post
Texas Hold'em Poker took off in no time to the mainstream. I think mainly because of the gambling and the strategy of the game. Pool has plenty of gambling in it. Maybe advertise that instead of hiding it (as in days past). If somebody is a long shot in a tournament put some odds on each player and promote the gambling side. I know that wont clean the rep that the sport has, but why not just go with it.
I couldn't agree more. You're seeing this as well with the NBA. That league is embracing the gambling side because they know how much it drives the public interest.

Poker took off for a few reasons. One, it's a game any Joe Schmo can play in. Two, there are real stakes due to the money on the line. Three, they implemented cameras to allow you to have "inside info" on the game. Pool is similar in that unlike football or soccer, you can literally go play a game immediately after watching and try to do what you saw the pros do. Why discard the gambling element of the game when it is so clearly part of the foundation of the game?

Pool isn't snooker, and the United States isn't Europe. The bow ties and vests may work for that sport, but American pool is a totally different game and culture. It doesn't have to be guys talking shit playing in overalls, but it also doesn't need to be buttoned up and boring. The Mosconi Cup is a great example of when it works--interesting format, team play, jeering and trash talking, real passion and enthusiasm for the game, etc. It is a professional event but it's also fun and entertaining. Providing more accessibility to gambling on the game is probably the best way to increase viewership--and if the major sports leagues are doing it I think pool would be foolish not to follow their lead.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#66)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute
 
JoeyInCali's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 23,971
vCash: 4400
iTrader: 80 / 100%
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: OC, California
   
05-08-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttnkdwonder View Post
I couldn't agree more. You're seeing this as well with the NBA. That league is embracing the gambling side because they know how much it drives the public interest.

Poker took off for a few reasons. One, it's a game any Joe Schmo can play in. Two, there are real stakes due to the money on the line. Three, they implemented cameras to allow you to have "inside info" on the game. Pool is similar in that unlike football or soccer, you can literally go play a game immediately after watching and try to do what you saw the pros do. Why discard the gambling element of the game when it is so clearly part of the foundation of the game?

Pool isn't snooker, and the United States isn't Europe. The bow ties and vests may work for that sport, but American pool is a totally different game and culture. It doesn't have to be guys talking shit playing in overalls, but it also doesn't need to be buttoned up and boring. The Mosconi Cup is a great example of when it works--interesting format, team play, jeering and trash talking, real passion and enthusiasm for the game, etc. It is a professional event but it's also fun and entertaining. Providing more accessibility to gambling on the game is probably the best way to increase viewership--and if the major sports leagues are doing it I think pool would be foolish not to follow their lead.
The problem with pool is it does not have a universal governing body.
In all major sports, anyone caught betting on their sport gets a lifetime ban.


  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#67)
buttnkdwonder
AzB Bronze Member
buttnkdwonder has a reputation beyond reputebuttnkdwonder has a reputation beyond reputebuttnkdwonder has a reputation beyond reputebuttnkdwonder has a reputation beyond reputebuttnkdwonder has a reputation beyond reputebuttnkdwonder has a reputation beyond reputebuttnkdwonder has a reputation beyond reputebuttnkdwonder has a reputation beyond reputebuttnkdwonder has a reputation beyond reputebuttnkdwonder has a reputation beyond reputebuttnkdwonder has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 17
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jul 2018
   
05-08-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
The problem with pool is it does not have a universal governing body.
In all major sports, anyone caught betting on their sport gets a lifetime ban.
Great point. The decentralization of professional pool makes it difficult to do a lot of things the major sports do very well. A true universal sanctioning body would be great for the game and would possibly be the only way to govern instances like you describe. At the very least we could hope for a tournament organizer like Matchroom to get so big that expulsion from their tournaments becomes a death sentence for professional players--or an agreement between organizers perhaps.

There is incredible potential in gambling on pool--many great prop bet opportunities, not to mention more traditional betting. Like what fantasy football has done for the NFL, gamifying the viewing experience for the audience would be a great way to draw interest. The leaders of the game need to find a way to figure this out.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#68)
Nostroke
AzB Gold Member
Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute
 
Nostroke's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 11,873
vCash: 10475
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Blog Entries: 21
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: NY and Fla
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
05-08-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bic D View Post
Ronda executed a beautiful O goshi against Alexis Davis and once on the ground, Davis had absolutely no idea what to do and allowed Ronda to hit in the face multi times before the ref stopped it. Ronda was excellent against women who had caught up with the sport yet.

Rogan cried when he said that Ronda was a once in a life time fighter and said that she could beat 50% of the men in her weight class. Ronda went on to say that she could beat then heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez. Rogan retracted his statement and Ronda just got exposed.

If she would have had a better coach and stuck to her strengths....She might still be there. Might
I think someone asked her if she'd have a chance against Cain and she said something like-"I have a chance against anybody (and so do i) i dont think she said "I can beat Cain or anything close"
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#69)
BeiberLvr
AzB Silver Member
BeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond repute
 
BeiberLvr's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 8,010
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Florida
   
05-08-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttnkdwonder View Post

Poker took off for a few reasons. One, it's a game any Joe Schmo can play in. Two, there are real stakes due to the money on the line. Three, they implemented cameras to allow you to have "inside info" on the game. Pool is similar in that unlike football or soccer, you can literally go play a game immediately after watching and try to do what you saw the pros do. Why discard the gambling element of the game when it is so clearly part of the foundation of the game?
Poker took off because of the hole card cameras.

That's it.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#70)
Bic D
AzB Silver Member
Bic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond repute
 
Bic D's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 366
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: North Carolina
   
05-08-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostroke View Post
I think someone asked her if she'd have a chance against Cain and she said something like-"I have a chance against anybody (and so do i) i dont think she said "I can beat Cain or anything close"
"UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey recently spoke with Spanish-language daily Hoy newspaper and said that, under the right circumstances, she believes that she could beat heavyweight king Cain Velasquez.

"In any given moment, under the right circumstance, I think it is possible," Rousey said of beating Velasquez when asked if she thought she could.

"You cannot tell me that it is physically impossible. It is possible that in any given moment that I could beat him. I simply believe in my possibilities."

Velasques was not only a JUCO Nat'l Chapion in wrestling, he placed 5th in the Country at Arizona state and is a BJJ black belt. Yes, if Velasquiz was asleep, RR might have a chance.

It was right after this interview that the video came out of her being handled easily by a high school wrestler.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-c...9440--mma.html

Last edited by Bic D; 05-08-2019 at 05:17 PM.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#71)
Nostroke
AzB Gold Member
Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute
 
Nostroke's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 11,873
vCash: 10475
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Blog Entries: 21
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: NY and Fla
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
05-08-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bic D View Post
"UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey recently spoke with Spanish-language daily Hoy newspaper and said that, under the right circumstances, she believes that she could beat heavyweight king Cain Velasquez.

"In any given moment, under the right circumstance, I think it is possible," Rousey said of beating Velasquez when asked if she thought she could.

"You cannot tell me that it is physically impossible. It is possible that in any given moment that I could beat him. I simply believe in my possibilities."

Velasques was not only a JUCO Nat'l Chapion in wrestling, he placed 5th in the Country at Arizona state and is a BJJ black belt. Yes, if Velasquiz was asleep, RR might have a chance.

It was right after this interview that the video came out of her being handled easily by a high school wrestler.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-c...9440--mma.html
"In any given moment, under the right circumstance, I think it is possible," That is not i can beat Cain


Almost exactly what i said-she didnt say i can beat Cain-she said it was possible that she could beat him- A Huge difference- It's possible i could beat Earl.

Last edited by Nostroke; 05-08-2019 at 06:05 PM.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#72)
Bic D
AzB Silver Member
Bic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond repute
 
Bic D's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 366
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: North Carolina
   
05-08-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostroke View Post
"In any given moment, under the right circumstance, I think it is possible," That is not i can beat Cain


Almost exactly what i said-she didnt say i can beat Cain-she said it was possible that she could beat him- A Huge difference- It's possible i could beat Earl.
How about this one...

ďI never say that Iím incapable of beating anybody, because I donít believe in putting limits on myself,Ē Rousey said on ESPNís SportsCenter on Thursday (via MMAFighting.com) when the discussion of her fighting men was brought up. ďSo I mean, I would have to say if youíre just talking about whatís possible of who I could beat, well I could beat 100 percent of them."

So yes, she adds the caveat of possibilities in the mix saying she could beat 100% of all men.

So as long as we are talking about what could be possible then I too can beat Earl and Efren weak handed on skates. I will go on to say that I can win the 2020 U.S. Open with an eye patch.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#73)
gambler67
AzB Silver Member

gambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond reputegambler67 has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: May 2015
   
05-09-2019, 02:50 AM

There is no crying in pool
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#74)
Nostroke
AzB Gold Member
Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute
 
Nostroke's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 11,873
vCash: 10475
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Blog Entries: 21
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: NY and Fla
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
05-09-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bic D View Post
How about this one...

ďI never say that Iím incapable of beating anybody, because I donít believe in putting limits on myself,Ē Rousey said on ESPNís SportsCenter on Thursday (via MMAFighting.com) when the discussion of her fighting men was brought up. ďSo I mean, I would have to say if youíre just talking about whatís possible of who I could beat, well I could beat 100 percent of them."

So yes, she adds the caveat of possibilities in the mix saying she could beat 100% of all men.

So as long as we are talking about what could be possible then I too can beat Earl and Efren weak handed on skates. I will go on to say that I can win the 2020 U.S. Open with an eye patch.
This is all just "believe in yourself" BS that all athletes are taught is important.

"If you're talking about what's possible...." How much more of a hedge do you need?
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#75)
Pete
AzB Silver Member
Pete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond repute
 
Pete's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,551
vCash: 500
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MA
   
05-09-2019, 07:01 AM

It is possible that Ronda could beat any human a live in the right position. I think if she is in ground fighting/rolling she might be able to get a tap from anyone.

The problem is not only in getting that position but doing it without sustaining injury.

That is what would be highly unlikely in a MMA situation or in a fight with a trained fighter imo...

And yes "There Is No Crying In Pool" Only Whining And Blaming Someone/Something Else...
  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 5 of 5 « First 345

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.