Dumbest loss stories

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing in our weekly 9-ball tourney last night. If I win this game, I'm in the finals, if I lose I'm out of the tournament. I'm on two fouls when my opponent scratches with the 7,8, and 9 left on the table, all open no trouble.

I placed the cue ball for my shot on the 7. As I am getting down on the shot, my cue stick slips out of my hand, bounces on the table and moves the cue ball. Three fouls, game lost, knocked out of the tournament. My opponent and I both just kind of stared at the table for a moment in disbelief. I don't think I've ever seen that happen before...

What's yours?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have dropped my cue at least a dozen times over the last 6-7 years commuting fouls. I have no feeling in half of my hand and cant fully close my hand with my pinky...ring finger and middle finger. Feel like an ass ever time that happened.

I can probably name several other wth ? Moments but the one that sticks out the most was running out the table in 8 ball only to hear my opponent say I missed one. I turned around and looked and saw a bright orange 5 ball right smack in the middle if the table. The worse thing about that is i shot the cue ball right past it to go down table and sink the 8 in a corner pocket.

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last week I was playing 1-pocket, getting an 8-7 spot. I was having a terrible night, but I finally got an opening and ran 7 balls. I thought I'd won, until my opponent reminded me I owed a ball. I never recovered and ended up losing the game.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went hill hill on a bar tourney and shot the 8 in for the win.Turned to shake hands and saw I still had another ball left uptable tied up with one of his.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A guy ask me to play and then asked what i wanted to race to. I like to be different so i said 6 and he said OK -I beat him 6-0 and then he starts arguing that the race was to 7 (he knew it wasn't), He wouldn't shut up so i said ok, we'll go to 7. I lost the next 7 games in a row!

Mkbtank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing Onepocket for 100 or 200 a game (I forget which) and dropped the bridge and splashed the stack, losing the game. Playing the same guy for 100 a game I took two fouls so he told me I was on two. I had an easy shot to thin a ball and go to the rail. I hit the ball too soft, just missed the rail and three fouled. Nothing dumber than losing a one pocket game in three fouls. Ugh.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I was trying to get a guy on a prop bet...I was laying $120 to $20...
...he was talking too much and not reaching for his pocket...so I put $120 on a side table..
...told him I was gonna get a coffee ....so think about it.

Two hours later, I’m at another pool hall....realize I left the $120 on the table....
....didn’t bother going back...:embarrassed2:

See the guy a couple days later, he hands me the $120....says “You are a dope.”
...I said “That’s just great, now I don’t even want to gamble with you now.”

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've lost matches against certain opponents by rocketing the last 9-ball at warp speed... Sometimes, a point just has to be made.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This post says dumbest losses, so I had a opponent have one. I was playing a set of 9 ball on the bar table for a $100. The set went hill hill, and I made the 9 ball and scratched. I spotted the ball up and my opponent chuckled at having to shoot the 9 with ball in hand. The guy riffled the ball in and scratched in the side. Always make them shoot it!

The Dragon

Registered
My Team captain during a match one time, has a relatively easy cut shot on the black.

He walks to the eight ball (aiming at the eight ball, to find the aim area.) Instead of walking back to the cue ball, he just pulls the trigger and hits the eight ball into the pocket. Game loss / Foul.

Took him a second before he realized what he had done. So after he was celebrating he looked back at the table with a kindof moan.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, I came up with one...

Was hanging in the pool room and guy I know is knocking balls off the table, solo.

I mill around for a while, pass by him again later from behind...decide to smack the back of his stick and it messes up his shot and pretty much all the balls on the table.

He turns and looks at me and says, 'what are you doing? We're gambling.' I look up and he now has an opponent in the chair.

Iirc, they were betting 50 and I gave them each half.

Doh.

The Dragon

Registered
Another recent dumb loss story,

During the final game of a league match, The captain has ball in hand on the eight ball.

Earlier in the match one of his team mates missed an medium difficulty eight ball in the side,

Clowning around the captain places the cue ball so that it's similar (but ridiculously harder than needs to be) to the team mates earlier shot and acts like he's going to shoot it in an attempt to tease her. The player being teased, walks up to the table and grabs the eight ball moves it and says "no it was here". The entire team erupted in disbelief.

Ball in hand for the opponent, who was also on the black.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was hill hill in a tournament and played a lock up safe and my opponent fouled giving me BIH with three balls on the table. The seven ball path was blocked by the nine but the seven was about a foot of the rail. When I went to place the cue ball next to the rail I dropped the cue on the rail and it bounced off the rail like a rocket into the seven giving my opponent an easy victory

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Was hill hill in a tournament and played a lock up safe and my opponent fouled giving me BIH with three balls on the table. The seven ball path was blocked by the nine but the seven was about a foot of the rail. When I went to place the cue ball next to the rail I dropped the cue on the rail and it bounced off the rail like a rocket into the seven giving my opponent an easy victory

This reminds me of a snooker tournament I played....
...the red ball was five inches off the rail and I drew off a color to get behind it...
...hit it perfect but the last inch whitey hit a piece of chalk...ended up with a fine cut to
either the side or the corner....so I’m standing over the ball and chalking...
...and I’m frustrated....and I dropped the chalk onto the cue ball...:eek:

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My teammate was on the 8, his opponent safeties him. Instead of shooting he gives the guy ball in hand, by picking up the cue ball and saying ball in hand and dropping it in a pocket. His opponent informed him he just scratched on the 8 ball, loss of game.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My teammate was on the 8, his opponent safeties him. Instead of shooting he gives the guy ball in hand, by picking up the cue ball and saying ball in hand and dropping it in a pocket. His opponent informed him he just scratched on the 8 ball, loss of game.

Under most rules, scratching on the 8 is not loss of game though unless you also make the 8.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
In a league match that our team had wrapped up already, I ran down to the 8-ball, was ready to shoot it, and my opponent says, "Bank the 8?". I say okay, and proceed to miss the bank.

My opponent then runs down to the 8-ball, so I remind him to bank the 8. Nope, he calls it straight in, makes it, and I owe him a drink. 🤬

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums