Need help with the name of an old pool hall

Gmanpoke

Banned
Does anyone remember the name of an old pool hall in Tulsa, OK. The pool hall was in the basement of a building in downtown Tulsa. My dad told me he played there in the mid to late 40's.

Back in the day, there was a lot of oil money flowing in Tulsa. My guess is there were some big money games. I would appreciate any information.

Thanks

Steven

SK Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doc's

Gmanpoke said:
Does anyone remember the name of an old pool hall in Tulsa, OK. The pool hall was in the basement of a building in downtown Tulsa. My dad told me he played there in the mid to late 40's.

Back in the day, there was a lot of oil money flowing in Tulsa. My guess is there were some big money games. I would appreciate any information.

Thanks

Steven

In the basement of the Tulsa World building downtown, there was a place originally called 'Boulder Billiards'. A man named Randy Wallace was an owner of this place at one time and it was rumored that he gave Mike Sigel the '8' and damnear busted him. This is supposedly when Mike was in his prime. 'Fat Randy', as people know him here, was one of the best gamblers in Tulsa at one time, and he told Mike that he could come back to Tulsa anytime being how there were many a strong stick that could've probably given Mike a run for his money. As time went on, the place became known as 'Doc's'. The man who told me this story described it similar to the scene in the movie 'The Hustler' when 'Fast-Eddie Felson' and his road buddy 'Charlie' walked into 'Ames Billiards' for the first time hearing the words, "No pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool; This is Ames Mister!". It was said to be in the basement of an old building in downtown Tulsa, that was smoke-filled, dark and incredibly unique place to sweat some action.

This information may not be 100% accurate, as it is a story that was passed onto me by an older gentleman at the pool hall. :wink:

fd_colorado

Go Pack Go!!!
Silver Member
When your post first came out I spent a little bit of time digging around trying to find some info...(I guess I can't resist a treasure hunt) but found nothing.

With the new info this sign from Boulder Billiards came up. Looks to have quite a bit of character!

A3968.jpg

Gmanpoke

Banned
Thanks for the information

I really appreciate your help. If anyone else has information I would like to hear it.

My dad grew up around the Burbank Oil field in a small oil field camp called Denolya (sp). The town was also called Wiz Bang. This was a ruff place at one time. Now, nothing is there. Its just a bunch of pastures.

Anyway, dad use to hitchhike the 80 to 90 miles to Tulsa and play in this pool hall. Dad never told me any stories about the games/matches he had. All said was there were really strong players. And, from that statement I guess he didn't fair too well.

Thanks again

Steven

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sign

So who owns that sign? Very cool. First poolroom I ever set foot in....dad worked at Amoco downtown, took me in Doc's after showing me around downtown when I was about 10. Wasn't in there long but loved it. What I know is that it was originally Doc Harris' billiards...saw an ad in a 1940s Tulsa hockey program. I have a Doc's token. Boulder billiards was a later name and people still called ir Doc's. Anyway I want that sign.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
So who owns that sign? Very cool. First poolroom I ever set foot in....dad worked at Amoco downtown, took me in Doc's after showing me around downtown when I was about 10. Wasn't in there long but loved it. What I know is that it was originally Doc Harris' billiards...saw an ad in a 1940s Tulsa hockey program. I have a Doc's token. Boulder billiards was a later name and people still called ir Doc's. Anyway I want that sign.

fd_colorado don't come around this forum no more:(. Any decent sign shop should be able to reproduce that for you, save the picture and you can get er done.

Get a frame and scar it up a bit and you will be in there!