What are you looking at?

What are you looking at while going from standing to full stance position?

• Total voters

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are you looking at while going from standing position to full stance position (while bending down), at the OB or at the CB?

If you could also explain your reasons for the choice you made, that would be excellent.

Tnx. :)

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I look at,

The shot line and my relative walk up distance before I flop my bridge hand on to the play surface, with no discernible body weight at all on the bridge hand. By doing the ''same thing'' each time, a baseline (walking up to the shot the same way EVERY time) is created, and the only adjustments needed are walking up a little more left or a little more right to adjust for aim or ball influences that Effect your approach....(speed, spin, dirt etc.).

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
I voted OB, but if I am going down into stance its the shot-line I'm looking at.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
My answer might be both. I am trying to stay on my Start Line.

randyg

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you all for your answers, very helpfull, I hope to hear many more :)

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am mostly focusing on the exact contact point on the ob that im aiming at (i use sam), but im trying to keep the entire shot in my line of sight (seeing the cb in my periphereal vision, seeing the pocket etc).

one thing ive found that helps me is when i transition from standing to down in my stance, i try to do it slowly and keep the entire sight picture i had while i was still standing up. I used to just drop down in my stance, and it almost felt like im lost when i get down there, like i need to reorient myself.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use CTE/Pro One or 90/90 to find the shot line. So, I naturally am looking at the cb on the way down.

Careyp74

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use the shot line also, which would have the OB on one end, and the CB on the other. When Approaching the shot ( I start out further away from the table to find the shot line ) I look at the OB, but getting down it is a combination of both. I want to make sure that the perspective between the two of them doesn't change, which would indicate an error on getting down on the shot.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I look mainly at the object ball, the point I want to make contact with, but I keep the cue ball in my vision also, so I guess Im looking mainly at the shot line so I know where to place my bridge hand and cue.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I'm standing up at the table - I'm imagining the shot followed by the CB action after pocketing the current ball. I'm envisioning the shot from start to finish.

When I'm down on the shot, I look back and forth from the CB to OB twice and as I'm shooting I look at the OB contact point. So it'd be CB then OB then CB then finally OB and stroke!

=P

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both actually...

As I start down, I'm typically looking at the OB, more specifically a point on the OB dictated by aiming method.

If just shooting normally (simpler shots), I'm looking at and moving in the direction of my shot line, sort of an extension toward the OB. If using SEE or a similar method I employ, I'm looking at a point on the OB so that I make sure I'm moving toward it with my body and bridge hand.

In either case, about half way down or so I then focus on the CB and bring my cue into the part of the CB I intend to hit, as well as to make sure my bridge hand is placed properly etc.

I think during the whole process I have the other ball and the shot line in my peripheral vision, but I do have a distinct feeling of looking primarily at one or the other as described.
Scott

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put object ball but it's actually the pocket. I have looked at my shot, lined up when I step to the table now I am focused on where I want it to go. The only time I do not look at the pocket is on a bank but I am looking at OB contact point.

Once down I do my micro adjustments and go from there.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
to answer your main question, what one is looking at while bending down from straight position to the stance - once I'm lined up on the shot line (and many aiming systems utilize that initial part) I pay attention to the cue ball only. I believe if you look at the object ball while bending down you risk pushing the cue ball with your tip because you don't have full control over your bridge length. Unless you watch the cue ball and where you place your bridge hand and then your tip approaching the exact spot on the cue ball. Hope this helps.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
While standing back, I'm looking back and forth from CB to OB to pocket. As I step into the shot and place my bridge hand on the table, it's OB. Once I'm down in my stance I'll look at the CB to get my tip placement right. Then I focus back on the OB before pulling the trigger.

-Andrew

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
I voted for object ball. I am focused to the contact point while deciding how thin or full I will be hitting the OB based upon any english I might be planning to impart on the cue for position purposes.