9-Ball ghost challenge on my new Diamond 9 footer

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok. I believe standard Diamond shelf depth is 2.0" with 4 7/8" opening. The pro cut is 4.5" opening. So a 1.5" depth would play a little easier, but average when compared to any other table. Not real tough. It makes it so when you freeze a ball to the inside facing of the pocket, as deep as it'll go without dropping in, 40% of the ball (0.9") will be be sticking out if you sight straight down the cushion. The table probably isn't going to play a whole lot tougher, even after the cloth wears a bit and the balls quit sliding so much. A player of your caliber could handle it regardless of whether it plays tougher, so I doubt you'll find many balls hanging up in the pockets.

I have a 4X8 diamond with easy pockets. They are 4.5" but the shelf depth is only 1 inch. I wish they were 1.5 or even 1.75. My old 9ft Brunswick had 4 3/8" pockets, facing angle of 138°, and shelf depth of 1.5". It played super tough, even compared to any diamond table I've played on. It was that 138° angle versus 140 or 141.

Anyhow I would love to have your table!! Very sweet setup, and nice room.
What Brunswick did you have? Never seen one with a shelf that deep.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
What Brunswick did you have? Never seen one with a shelf that deep.

It was an old 1924 Brunswick Madison. Originally had buckets for pockets, and the skate ledge sloped into the pocket, couldn't miss a ball if you tried. I drilled a couple of holes into the edge of the slate at each corner pocket, installed metal pins, then made some deep grooves with a hacksaw, then added pocket depth using figerglass and bondo body filler. Did it about 20 years ago. I shimmed the pockets also and made the facing angles 138°. It played tough. Shooting firm and barely missing looks like this.....https://youtu.be/3bggwEO0jaI

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got ya, thanks.

Never noticed that but my experience with new cloth has been on easier tables.
If you watch match streams on Diamonds w/new Simonis a lot of balls go that won't as the cloth wears in. We have one in our room with old Simonis and its tuff as hell.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Beat the ghost today on my mew 9 foot Diamond table 8-1 in the 9-Ball ghost challenge ball in hand after break.

Payed on my new 9 foot Diamond table with pro cut pockets just like the tables in the US Open 9-Ball tournaments. This was the 2nd time playing on this table and it seems way, way too easy. Prior to that I played on my modified 10 foot Brunswick for 2 years and the most racks I've run out consecutively, withe ball in hand after the break, was 5 racks. Tonight I ran 8 out of 9 racks. It just doesn't seem right for this pro table to be that much easier than my 10 foot Brunswick. After my 8 out of 9 rack run I googled the playing surface of a 9 foot Diamond and it's 50x100 inches, spot on with my table. Was my 1p footer that much harder? Tim Tonjum told me that after the cloth breaks in the pockets will play tougher. I sure hope so because this is way too easy and now I'm regreating not ordering the table with smaller pockets. Anyway, time will tell. Here is the video of my 8 out of 9 rack run.

https://youtu.be/Ofvnv3fae4o

How many racks can you run without ball in hand and without the use of a racking aid? That's why the table seams to play so easy.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I think you guys are focusing on the wrong things. Triangle will give less open layouts a lot and no BIH will definitely give you a lower score against the ghost but neither of those affect how the table plays

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like a 10mph Corey Deuel type break.

Still impressive though.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok. I believe standard Diamond shelf depth is 2.0" with 4 7/8" opening. The pro cut is 4.5" opening. So a 1.5" depth would play a little easier, but average when compared to any other table. Not real tough. It makes it so when you freeze a ball to the inside facing of the pocket, as deep as it'll go without dropping in, 40% of the ball (0.9") will be be sticking out if you sight straight down the cushion. The table probably isn't going to play a whole lot tougher, even after the cloth wears a bit and the balls quit sliding so much. A player of your caliber could handle it regardless of whether it plays tougher, so I doubt you'll find many balls hanging up in the pockets.

I have a 4X8 diamond with easy pockets. They are 4.5" but the shelf depth is only 1 inch. I wish they were 1.5 or even 1.75. My old 9ft Brunswick had 4 3/8" pockets, facing angle of 138°, and shelf depth of 1.5". It played super tough, even compared to any diamond table I've played on. It was that 138° angle versus 140 or 141.

Anyhow I would love to have your table!! Very sweet setup, and nice room.
You are spot-on as to shelf. I just emailed Diamond and they sent me a pic with tape measure in pocket. Depth is 2".

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
You are spot-on as to shelf. I just emailed Diamond and they sent me a pic with tape measure in pocket. Depth is 2".

And when those facings aren't as slick anymore, that 2" shelf plays pretty tough!:eek:

I've seen some of small Diamond barboxes with deep shelves also, between 1.5 and 2 inches, and they play tougher than my 8ft pro am table.

Last edited:

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beat the ghost today on my mew 9 foot Diamond table 8-1 in the 9-Ball ghost challenge ball in hand after break.

Payed on my new 9 foot Diamond table with pro cut pockets just like the tables in the US Open 9-Ball tournaments. This was the 2nd time playing on this table and it seems way, way too easy. Prior to that I played on my modified 10 foot Brunswick for 2 years and the most racks I've run out consecutively, withe ball in hand after the break, was 5 racks. Tonight I ran 8 out of 9 racks. It just doesn't seem right for this pro table to be that much easier than my 10 foot Brunswick. After my 8 out of 9 rack run I googled the playing surface of a 9 foot Diamond and it's 50x100 inches, spot on with my table. Was my 1p footer that much harder? Tim Tonjum told me that after the cloth breaks in the pockets will play tougher. I sure hope so because this is way too easy and now I'm regreating not ordering the table with smaller pockets. Anyway, time will tell. Here is the video of my 8 out of 9 rack run.

https://youtu.be/Ofvnv3fae4o

I try to tell this to anyone who will listen, playing with brand new 860 (HR or not) Simonis is like playing a different game, you can't keep the balls from going down. I play on mine A LOT when its new so it doesn't start to hurt my game...that's how sloppy it is.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

If that was the true pocket shelf depth, then placing a ball as deep inside the pocket as it can go, being a 2 1/4" ball, only about a 1/4" of the ball would be showing. But go ahead and place a ball as deep as you can, and see if only a out 60% or less fits in the pockets!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Can you post the pic?

Put a ball against a corner pocket facing on the long rail side, as far back in the pocket as it'll go without falling in. Then go to the far end of the table, look down the nose of the cushions at the object ball. It's easier if you use a strip ball, turn it so the strip faces the long rail.

So when you're looking down the rail, how much ove the object ball can you see sticking out of the pocket, how much in the pocket??

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put a ball against a corner pocket facing on the long rail side, as far back in the pocket as it'll go without falling in. Then go to the far end of the table, look down the nose of the cushions at the object ball. It's easier if you use a strip ball, turn it so the strip faces the long rail.

So when you're looking down the rail, how much ove the object ball can you see sticking out of the pocket, how much in the pocket??

I took a picture of a stripe ball in one my my pro-am corners using 2.25" ball.

Attachments

• 15737652833295311909231244102260.jpg
    15737652833295311909231244102260.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 142

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Overhead shot.

The shelf on my corners are exactly 2". I remember measuring them when I first got the table.

Attachments

• 1573766368312849110672769992391.jpg
    1573766368312849110672769992391.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm thinking 1.75 inches. What do you think? Also the ball return is loud and not quiet like the Diamond tables at the Breakroomin Duluth MN.

Attachments

• 20191114_172138.jpg
    20191114_172138.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 20191114_172201.jpg
    20191114_172201.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 20191114_172220.jpg
    20191114_172220.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 115