How Do You Get To The 9-Ball Here

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok, your at the other end of the table from the '9' Ball, straight in, a ways from the corner pocket which makes rail first very difficult.

so, how do you get back down table to pocket the 9-Ball?

DCP

CueTable Help

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
low left. you should be able to get the cb at least to the third diamond top right. rail first also, but i'm not good at that.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
low left?
you might draw back into the corner pocket. and if you cheat the corner pocket you run the risk of jarring the '8' Ball by hitting it pretty hard.

rail first?
i would think it would be pretty difficult to go rail first with the '8' Ball that far from the corner pocket.

DCP

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shoot low-left since my odds of making the 8 are way higher that way than with the rail-first shot. If I have to shoot from somewhere near the top side pocket, then so be it; at least I'm still shooting.

I saw Basavich leave himself straight on the nine from this spot on a 9-footer with slow, nappy cloth. It almost looked like the cueball curved a little after it hit the first rail, it had so much draw on it. That dude's got a huge stroke, though.

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
I agree with Bruin, if you're not comfortable going rail first and you can get the cue back to the rail low left is the way to go. Otherwise your only other option is to roll it forward and take a tough cut or play safe.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege said:
low left?
you might draw back into the corner pocket. and if you cheat the corner pocket you run the risk of jarring the '8' Ball by hitting it pretty hard.

rail first?
i would think it would be pretty difficult to go rail first with the '8' Ball that far from the corner pocket.

DCP
Definately low left, the way you have that set up there is no way you are gonna draw back and scratch if you make the 8 ball. Plus its an easy shot to make, just gotta stroke the hell out of it to get down table.

Rail first would work, but its way lower percentage IMO. Id stick with the low left.

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess there's the masse, too, but I only like that if the 8 is much closer to the cb.

Deadon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its difficult unless you can get down and see the fine angles. I prefer right english with a little follow. The right english helps increase the angle to the rail because of the throw inparted on the object ball and gives more room for the cue ball to escape the corner pocket. Left english would require a fuller hit because of the throw and pull the cue ball into the corner with the draw. Throw and deflection on exteme english shots, like this, are a factor.

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
maybe im looking at it wrong but it looks like just some right would spin you around 2 rails to have the 9ball in the upper right corner

seiyaryu55

D ranked ball banger =P
Silver Member
I would probably go rail first. For me its not the distance to the pocket that makes rail first shots hard but rather how far the object ball is away from the rail. Hard to tell off the wei table but if im feeling confident about the distance id do rail first over a big draw. I mean even if i were to miss the 8 i would be leaving the 2 balls about a full tables length away from each other. Now if i wasnt confortable with it then id deff go with the draw than the masse.

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
scottycoyote said:
maybe im looking at it wrong but it looks like just some right would spin you around 2 rails to have the 9ball in the upper right corner

Yeah, this is one of those shots where the Wei table doesn't really provide enough info. Depending on the size of the pockets and the type of felt, going forward may be an option. Actually, if you cheat the pocket to the right a little bit and really pop it, you might be able to get that little sideways hop out of the cueball. That can sometimes change your angle just enough to get you away from the jaws of the pocket. You still gotta have felt that takes the side-spin well, though, because it will be hard to get above the side pocket otherwise.

Rude Dog

<---Dumb and Dumber
When I've come across this shot I've had more success with rail first, low center on the CB. When I've tried it with low or high right, it has worked before but not as often as low center. I think the reason being is, with the righ hand english, the contact point on the rail is hard to judge and I've hit the OB too full, missing it and leaving a sell out. When I use low center, even if I miss the shot, the CB has always eneded up at the other end of the table because I'm cutting the OB in instead of throwing it, which is a thinner hit.

Using the bottom left is also an option and I've used it many times before too. The shot may look as if it is dead straight in, but sometimes there is a very slight angle and the angle I look for if I'm going to draw it is the one that gives me more room for error. In this case, an angle to cut the ball to the left. Because I'm hitting the CB so hard, with extreme left draw, I'm going to throw the OB to the right, so I'll need the left side of the corner pocket to play with. If I don't have that angle, I use rail first.

Top right is another option that I've used with mixed results. Make or miss the ball, the scratch in the bottom right corner is always there.

So, I guess there are many ways to shoot it and to be honest, if the shot came up 10 times, I may shoot it a different way each time. Peace, John.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rude Dog said:
When I've come across this shot I've had more success with rail first, low center on the CB. When I've tried it with low or high right, it has worked before but not as often as low center. I think the reason being is, with the righ hand english, the contact point on the rail is hard to judge and I've hit the OB too full, missing it and leaving a sell out. When I use low center, even if I miss the shot, the CB has always eneded up at the other end of the table because I'm cutting the OB in instead of throwing it, which is a thinner hit.

Using the bottom left is also an option and I've used it many times before too. The shot may look as if it is dead straight in, but sometimes there is a very slight angle and the angle I look for if I'm going to draw it is the one that gives me more room for error. In this case, an angle to cut the ball to the left. Because I'm hitting the CB so hard, with extreme left draw, I'm going to throw the OB to the right, so I'll need the left side of the corner pocket to play with. If I don't have that angle, I use rail first.

Top right is another option that I've used with mixed results. Make or miss the ball, the scratch in the bottom right corner is always there.

So, I guess there are many ways to shoot it and to be honest, if the shot came up 10 times, I may shoot it a different way each time. Peace, John.
Just act like you are playing Buddy in the finals and it will look like a hanger.

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
billiardbum said:
Stop Shot - Bank the 9

lol are u serious??

If it's dead straight in, definately use low left. The cueball is not close to the rail so you have plenty of room to hit the cueball low enough. If I can get the cueball up around the side pocket I'm happy.

If the cueball is closer to the rail, so that you really have to jack up to draw it, then you are pretty much forced to play the rail first shot, or play some kind of safe.

If the 8-ball is 1/4-1/2 an inch off the rail, that means it's a big ball, and I'll play the rail first shot with a little draw and a punch-stroke. Going rail first with a high cueball gives you a chance of scratching in the side or hitting the point.