WPC 2005 groups

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
There ya go. Group 12 seems to be the toughest, they're also going to be joined by one qualifier. Looking back to previous years, qualifiers have always been very tough. Also group 10 is quite tough. Groups 1, 11, 15 and 16 seem to be relatively easy.

Group 1

Alex Pagulayan Canada
Alan Rolon Puerto Rico
Charles Bryant USA
Do Hoang Quan Vietnam
Shen-ping Pang Chinese Taipei
Jacob Belka Germany
Rico Diks Holland
Yulan Govender South Africa

Group 2

Ching-shun Yang Chinese Taipei
Steve Davis England
Phil Reilly Australia
Rodolfo Luat Philippines
Patrick Ooi Fook Yuen Malaysia
Vilmos Foldes Hungary
Steve Higton England
Jerry Calderon Venezuela

Group 3

Thorsten Hohmann Germany
Kunihiko Takahashi Japan
Charlie Williams USA
Ibrahim bin Amir Malaysia
Manan Chandra India
Imran Majid England
Lambros Vrakas Greece
Qualifier 01 TBA

Group 4

Efren Reyes Philippines
Roman Hybler Czech Republic
Mike Davis USA
Chin-ching Kang Chinese Taipei
Adam Abdurahim Indonesia
Tomasz Kaplan Poland
Jakob Lyng Denmark
Tony Drago Malta

Group 5

Fong-pang Chao Chinese Taipei
Nick van den Berg Holland
Qualifier 6 TBA
Dennis Orcollo Philippines
Thanh Nam Nguyen Vietnam
Radoslaw Babica Poland
Ben Davies Wales
Ismael Paez Mexico

Group 6

Johnny Archer USA
Satoshi Kawabata Japan
Santos Sambajon Philippines
Chi-wai Au Hong Kong
Steve Chua Hock Chin Singapore
Harry Stolka Germany
Eric Weiselius Sweden
Qualifier 2 TBA

Group 7

Francisco Bustamante Philippines
Thomas Engert Germany
Jeff White Canada
Che-wei Fu Chinese Taipei
Wong-dea Kim Korea
Marko Lohtander Finland
Konstantin Stepanov Russia
Edgardo Ramirez Puerto Rico

Group 8

Alex Lely Holland
Hui-kai Hsia Chinese Taipei
Dan Bassavich USA
Alan Tan Malaysia
Shin-young Park Korea
Sammir Kaddur Spain
Craig Osbourne England
Gustavo Espinoza Argentina

Group 9

Mika Immonen Finland
Rodney Morris USA
Luc Salvas Canada
Keng Kwang Chan Singapore
Irfan Ahmed Khan Pakistan
Daryl Peach England
Jan Dulst Belgium
Jose Luis Perez Venezuela

Group 10

Marcus Chamat Sweden
Andreas Roschkowsky Germany
John Schmidt USA
Gandy Valle Philippines
Ying-chieh Chen Chinese Taipei
David Alcaide Spain
Anthony Ginn England
Ceri Worts New Zealand

Group 11

Pei-wei, Chang Chinese Taipei
Gabe Owen USA
Louis Condo Australia
Chien-che Huang Chinese Taipei
Hanni al Howi UAE
Michael Valentine Scotland
Cetin Aslan Austria
Enrique Rojas Chile

Group 12

Niels Feijen Holland
Young-hwa Jeong Korea
Cory Deuel USA
Ronato Alcano Philippines
Wanshana Poonjaeng Thailand
Thorsten Schober Germany
Fabio Petroni Italy
Qualifier 3 TBA

Group 13

Earl Strickland USA
Oliver Ortmann Germany
Erik Hjorleifson Canada
Qualifier 5 TBA
Siaw Wieto Indonesia
Roger Lysholm Norway
Kevin Uzzell England
Alex Jiminez Costa Rica

Group 14

Sandor Tot Hungary
Alain Martel Canada
Shawn Putnam USA
Ching-chia Wu Chinese Taipei
Hiroshi Takenaka Japan
Nicolas Otterman Germany
Raj Hundal England
Mohammed Farouk El Degwi Egypt

Group 15

Jeremy Jones USA
Marlon Manalo Philippines
Stuart Lawlor Australia
Dharminder Singh Lilly India
Hua-fong Wang Chinese Taipei
Goran Mladenovic Serbia Montenegro
David Larsson Sweden
Qualifier 4 TBA

Group 16

Po-cheng Kuo Chinese Taipei
Ralf Souquet Germany
David Reljic Australia
Luong Chi Dung Vietnam
Tan Tiong Boon Singapore
Ivica Putnik Croatia
Gilliano Smit Holland
Phil Wilkinson New Zealand

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
mjantti said:
There ya go. Group 12 seems to be the toughest, they're also going to be joined by one qualifier. Looking back to previous years, qualifiers have always been very tough. Also group 10 is quite tough. Groups 1, 11, 15 and 16 seem to be relatively easy.

Group 6

Johnny Archer USA
Satoshi Kawabata Japan
Santos Sambajon Philippines
Chi-wai Au Hong Kong
Steve Chua Hock Chin Singapore
Harry Stolka Germany
Eric Weiselius Sweden
Qualifier 2 TBA

Solid analysis, Mikko, but check out Group 6 Archer, we know about him. Kawabata was seeded in the last WPC and a case could be made for Santos being seeded, too. These three heavywieghts are joined by the dangesrous Weiselius, which adds up to a ridiculously tough group.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
I think you're right sjm. Group 6 is quite tough. Also, I think group 7 is tough as well. Bustamante, Engert and Fu added with Stepanov who was L32 last year (beat Chia-Ching Wu in L64) and Finland's Lohtander who topped his death cut-throat group last year beating Yang in the last group match.

Group 7

Francisco Bustamante Philippines
Thomas Engert Germany
Jeff White Canada
Che-wei Fu Chinese Taipei
Wong-dea Kim Korea
Marko Lohtander Finland
Konstantin Stepanov Russia
Edgardo Ramirez Puerto Rico

But who's going to win the WPC, I'm not gonna touch that subject with a 10' pole... yet. ;)

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
time_is_now said:
how do they determine the TBA qualifiers?

They have a qualification tournament before the actual tournament in Kaoshiung City in Taiwan. Well, here's the whole story. Anyone can enter.

2005 Kaohsiung World Pool Championship Qualifying Event

Sunday 26th June: Event 1
Monday 27th June: Event 2
Tuesday 28th June: Event 3
Wednesday 29th June: Event 4
Thursday 30th June: Event 5

Entry fees should be $100 for one tournament and $400 for all five. Precedent will be given to those players who enter all five. Provisional format is single elimination race to 7 alternate break with the final being race to 9 with alternate break.

The points system should operate as follows:
Runner-up – 10 pts
3/4 – 7pts
5/8 – 5 pts
9/16 – 3pt

This is for players who play the $400 entry fee for all five events and the player with the most points will be first reserve in the event of more spots becoming available.

General Information
All five tournament winners will be entered into a predetermined place in the group draw for the last 128 of the World Pool Championship which commences in Kaohsiung at the Kaohsiung Exhibition Center on Saturday 2nd July following the qualifiers.

The five tournament winners will also receive prize money which will be dependent on the daily entrant level. All 15 players placed 2nd to 16th in all five tournaments will receive identical prize money based on daily entrant level.

All payments will be made by cheque or cash and players must sign to acknowledge receipt.

Practice tables will be available free of charge.

The Dress Code is informal but players are requested to maintain a smart appearance — no headwear, sleeveless shirts, sports shoes or short pants.

It is hoped to play the qualifying matches in a fair and sportsmanlike way. Any dispute must be referred to the referee (if present) or the Tournament Control Desk.

When players are called by the Control Desk they must report within five minutes. Failure to do so will incur a one rack forfeit. After a further five minutes they will lose a further rack and then five minutes later they will forfeit the match.

There are no timeouts but a player may take one toilet break. They may only leave the table at the end of a rack that they have won. This break should be as brief as possible. Should you require a further break during the match then you must obtain permission from the Duty Referee or The Control Desk. Failure to observe these rules will mean FORFEIT of the next rack with the break passing back to the opponent.

All matches are lag for break/alternate breaks thereafter.

Players can only use the cues that they bring to the table before their match commences. Jump cues (minimum 1mtr long) and break cues may be used but they must be with you when you first come to the table.

Scorecards must be completed and signed by both players and it is the responsibility of the winning player to ensure the notification of the result is recorded at the control desk.

If any changes are necessary to the above, the tournament Control Desk will advise in the tournament pool hall.

deadstroke32

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mjantti said:
They have a qualification tournament before the actual tournament in Kaoshiung City in Taiwan. Well, here's the whole story. Anyone can enter.

2005 Kaohsiung World Pool Championship Qualifying Event

Sunday 26th June: Event 1
Monday 27th June: Event 2
Tuesday 28th June: Event 3
Wednesday 29th June: Event 4
Thursday 30th June: Event 5

Entry fees should be $100 for one tournament and $400 for all five. Precedent will be given to those players who enter all five. Provisional format is single elimination race to 7 alternate break with the final being race to 9 with alternate break.

The points system should operate as follows:
Runner-up – 10 pts
3/4 – 7pts
5/8 – 5 pts
9/16 – 3pt

This is for players who play the $400 entry fee for all five events and the player with the most points will be first reserve in the event of more spots becoming available.

General Information
All five tournament winners will be entered into a predetermined place in the group draw for the last 128 of the World Pool Championship which commences in Kaohsiung at the Kaohsiung Exhibition Center on Saturday 2nd July following the qualifiers.

The five tournament winners will also receive prize money which will be dependent on the daily entrant level. All 15 players placed 2nd to 16th in all five tournaments will receive identical prize money based on daily entrant level.

All payments will be made by cheque or cash and players must sign to acknowledge receipt.

Practice tables will be available free of charge.

The Dress Code is informal but players are requested to maintain a smart appearance — no headwear, sleeveless shirts, sports shoes or short pants.

It is hoped to play the qualifying matches in a fair and sportsmanlike way. Any dispute must be referred to the referee (if present) or the Tournament Control Desk.

When players are called by the Control Desk they must report within five minutes. Failure to do so will incur a one rack forfeit. After a further five minutes they will lose a further rack and then five minutes later they will forfeit the match.

There are no timeouts but a player may take one toilet break. They may only leave the table at the end of a rack that they have won. This break should be as brief as possible. Should you require a further break during the match then you must obtain permission from the Duty Referee or The Control Desk. Failure to observe these rules will mean FORFEIT of the next rack with the break passing back to the opponent.

All matches are lag for break/alternate breaks thereafter.

Players can only use the cues that they bring to the table before their match commences. Jump cues (minimum 1mtr long) and break cues may be used but they must be with you when you first come to the table.

Scorecards must be completed and signed by both players and it is the responsibility of the winning player to ensure the notification of the result is recorded at the control desk.

If any changes are necessary to the above, the tournament Control Desk will advise in the tournament pool hall.

What is the website .so i can get on the chat fourms ???

sniper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Group 14

Sandor Tot Hungary
Alain Martel Canada
Shawn Putnam USA
Ching-chia Wu Chinese Taipei
Hiroshi Takenaka Japan
Nicolas Otterman Germany
Raj Hundal England
Mohammed Farouk El Degwi Egypt

This is the toughest group IMO, with the exception of Mohammed these are all top notch nine ball players. Martel is the Canadian champ and has the best break of them all, Otterman is a Hohmann in the making and Hundal showed us his game when he played a few tournys over here. I don't need to tell everyone what Tot, Putnam, Wu, and Takenaka are capable of.

Where did you get this Miko? has worldpoolchampionship.com started up I remember Luke said it would be up soon.

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice to see that the USA actually has all world class players this year not like the last two years when the UPA sent a number of players who would have ranked way down on the list of top American players, a couple who might not even rank in the top 200 in the U.S.

Wayne

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
sniper said:
Group 14 ...............

That is a particularily tough group alright.

That being said I am not really to impressed with the Canadian contingent by in large compared to what we "could" send. Canada needs to have a Western Canadian 9-ball championships to go along with the tournament they put on that is always in the East thousands of kilometers away from some of the best players in the country such as Horsefall, Potier, Montal, Edey, Vidas, ect... Our country is too large to put the Canadian championships in the East and then make that the sole deciding factor of who goes to the Worlds because not alot of people from the west are going to spend thousands of dollars to travel to the East just for a chance to win their entry into the worlds but if they lived within a province of the tournament such as most of the people who qualify year after year due to the Eastern bias do we would see a largely different field coming from Canada.

pooljunkie73

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Celtic,

The Canadian Championships have been in the east the past couple of years for one simple reason, no one from out west has stepped up to the plate to host them. You have to get on your provincial organinzations to put a bid in on them. The reason I know this is because I was involved in the officiating at the Canadians for some time.

As for the likes of Horsfall, Potier and Montal not playing. The last time the Canadians were in New Brunswick, which is about 600 km further east then they are being held this year they all showed up. So there is no excuses there.

Kent

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
pooljunkie73 said:
Hey Celtic,

The Canadian Championships have been in the east the past couple of years for one simple reason, no one from out west has stepped up to the plate to host them. You have to get on your provincial organinzations to put a bid in on them. The reason I know this is because I was involved in the officiating at the Canadians for some time.

As for the likes of Horsfall, Potier and Montal not playing. The last time the Canadians were in New Brunswick, which is about 600 km further east then they are being held this year they all showed up. So there is no excuses there.

Kent

Especially Paul Potier has been shooting 'em straight recently.

Agreed, group 14 is quite a tough group but I saw Otterman and Hundal at the EPC and wasn't really impressed except Otterman's surprise high finish in the 14.1.

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
TBAs Qualifiers

This is where the other Filipino and Taiwanese players do come in.

From the list of Filipino Players, I've not seen Kiamco and Gabica in it.

We will know the names of the qualifiers by June 26th.

Anyone wants the forms and info about qualifier, please PM me.

henho

I Beat Fidelshnitzer
Silver Member
Watch out for Manalo, he has snooker fundamentals and a philipino shot arsenal. I say he is the next big thing. Im gonna make a prediction and say its Manalo vs. Chamat in the Finals, just so that if it happens I can start a psychic hotline.

deadstroke32

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
henho said:
Watch out for Manalo, he has snooker fundamentals and a philipino shot arsenal. I say he is the next big thing. Im gonna make a prediction and say its Manalo vs. Chamat in the Finals, just so that if it happens I can start a psychic hotline.

Ok who was the guy that was called the 'dancein bear' hes from Canda??

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
deadstroke32 said:
Ok who was the guy that was called the 'dancein bear' hes from Canda??

Alain Martel. He reached the semis in WPC back in 2001 before he was outed by Mika.

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member
and i'll be your first customer, henho...maybe you can divine the next winning sweepstakes numbers... hehe

good luck to everyone in the WPC! CAn't wait.....

Allenjo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keeping my eyes out on Group 6 & 14....Sambajon & Wu Chia Ching are darkhorses for me!

LastTwo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just so you guys know who predicted it, I'll say it again. Ching Shun Yang is going to win.