Schön Break Shaft?

JasBy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just acquired a Runde Schön R-5 that came with 2 shafts. One is the typical micarta ferruled shaft, but the other one is different. It was marketed as a 'break shaft' It is 3 inches shorter than the playing shaft, and has what looks to be a LBM ferrule instead of micarta. It does have the Schön pilot stitch ring joint though.

Did Schön ever offer a shorter break shaft? Has anyone ever seen such a thing? Or is it, as I suspect, a shaft that perhaps sustained damage at one time and was shortened?

The taper seems a bit beefier, but nothing like you would expect from a break shaft.
I can take detailed measurements if you like, but I was just curious if this was a known thing that Runde did.

Thanks for any input!

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
Not saying it doesn't exist,but have never heard of such a thing. Even the shafts that went with the break/jumps aren't much if any different than their normal shafts,other than a slightly stockier taper and different tip on the ones I've seen. Tommy D.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never seen one but

I have never seen one but I did see one that was really thin, so it was cut off short and a new ferrule added to make it seem like it was a full shaft. The one I saw seemed a bit deceptive to me. Not saying this is it or that was the intent of the seller, but...

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Schon Break Jump cue shafts are marked SchonJB where they normally only say Schon or SchonIV on the shaft of a regular Schon playing cue. I have never heard of the shaft being shorter, but who knows what someone could of custom ordered or modified at a later time.

JasBy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the input guys - I visited my local cue guy today and we discussed and agreed it was probably a fix done at some point. It's way too short to be just a broken tenon on a ferrule or anything like that. So I either have an insert and rings to have another shaft made, or a shorter 5/16x14 shaft for my kid to use when he grows up a little more.