Help with opinions about cue? Inlays or Overlays?

I never could tell the difference between an inlay and an overlay. Maybe overlays are sometimes done very well (done well enough to fool some people, like myself). I am interested in this cue below, but I do not know if the inlays are actually overlays, or if they are real inlays?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322459106692?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The seller states that he was told it is a Mcdermott, but the cue does not have any markings on it. Could it possibly be one of those Chinese made Mcdermotts, or do you think the cue is some other cheap Asian mass produced cue?

I like the looks of it, but I just do not know if the quality is any good, or not.

Thanks for any opinions about the cue.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never could tell the difference between an inlay and an overlay. Maybe overlays are sometimes done very well, so I do not know. I am interested in this cue below, but I do not know if the inlays are actually overlays, or if they are real inlays?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322459106692?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The seller states that he was told it is a Mcdermott, but the cue does not have any markings on it. Could it possibly be one of those Chinese made Mcdermotts, or do you think the cue is some other cheap Asian mass produced cue?

I like the looks of it, but I just do not know if the quality is any good, or not.

Thanks for any opinions about the cue.
Cheap, Asian decal cue. End of story. You REALLY think you're getting inlays for 85bux? Even YOU know better than that. Hurry up and buy a cue, ANY cue, and stop all this. Please.

Cheap, Asian decal cue. End of story. You REALLY think you're getting inlays for 85bux? Even YOU know better than that. Hurry up and buy a cue, ANY cue, and stop all this. Please.

It is an auction, with a day left, so who knows, it might end up selling for $300. The way you put it, the buy it now price is at $85. Thanks for the info though. There was no need to be so nasty in your reply.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have a hard time telling, then why do you care?

You have often been shopping for "cues with nice points". But you can't tell?

Those rings are commonly used on Asian imports. The cue is an Asian import.

Did McDermott sell it? I dunno. But if they did they sure didn't make it. :wink:

Inlays or overlays? Looks like inlays...but I am not 100% on that.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is an auction, with a day left, so who knows, it might end up selling for $300. The way you put it, the buy it now price is at $85. Thanks for the info though. There was no need to be so nasty in your reply.
All you're doing is TROLLING you moron and you know it. You don't have ANY intentions of buying a cue. ALL you do is throw these grenades to see what happens when it goes off. EVERYONE on this forum has said EXACTLY what i'm saying now. If you don't like the responses you get, too bad.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Actually, to be fair, you can get real inlays and real veneered points for pretty cheap. Modern machinery and quality control have made that very true.

It's just not the measure of things anymore.

Some cues with nicely done inlays are actually not as good as some cues that have nice overlays or even are painted.

Even Schon has painted butt sleeves black and let people think it is ebony. :wink:

If you have a hard time telling, then why do you care?

You have often been shopping for "cues with nice points". But you can't tell?

Those rings are commonly used on Asian imports. The cue is an Asian import.

Did McDermott sell it? I dunno. But if they did they sure didn't make it. :wink:

Inlays or overlays? Looks like inlays...but I am not 100% on that.

I care because, in my experience, any cues I have ever had in the past that had overlays, also had very poor quality shafts. For example, I had a Chinese made Adam cue, that I thought had real inlays before buying it. After I received it, and played a little with it, I could tell that the quality of the shaft was very poor, and I was really unhappy with the playability of it (for one, the very lousy taper that was on the shaft). Is there such a thing as a cheap overlay cue, that comes stock with a high quality shaft, with a decent pro taper on it? I do not know.

Actually, to be fair, you can get real inlays and real veneered points for pretty cheap. Modern machinery and quality control have made that very true.

It's just not the measure of things anymore.

Some cues with nicely done inlays are actually not as good as some cues that have nice overlays or even are painted.

Even Schon has painted butt sleeves black and let people think it is ebony. :wink:

That is interesting. Thanks for posting that info.

All you're doing is TROLLING you moron and you know it. You don't have ANY intentions of buying a cue. ALL you do is throw these grenades to see what happens when it goes off. EVERYONE on this forum has said EXACTLY what i'm saying now. If you don't like the responses you get, too bad.

I was honestly not trying to be a troll. How can a person be both a troll and a moron at the same time? I would think that a moron would not be smart enough to know that he was being a troll. So, yeah, I may be a moron, but I am not a troll.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was honestly not trying to be a troll. How can a person be both a troll and a moron at the same time? I would think that a moron would not be smart enough to know that he was being a troll. So, yeah, I may be a moron, but I am not a troll.
The two are NOT mutually exclusive thus one can be both. You've proven it almost on a daily basis.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I care because, in my experience, any cues I have ever had in the past that had overlays, also had very poor quality shafts. For example, I had a Chinese made Adam cue, that I thought had real inlays before buying it. After I received it, and played a little with it, I could tell that the quality of the shaft was very poor, and I was really unhappy with the playability of it (for one, the very lousy taper that was on the shaft). Is there such a thing as a cheap overlay cue, that comes stock with a high quality shaft, with a decent pro taper on it? I do not know.

Then look at the shaft!

It is clearly shown in that ad!

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I have learned that that would be pointless. I can't even ask questions anymore. ChopDoc was nice enough to give me a good reply though.

For $100 why kind of shafts do you think you are going good to get. Do you ever think about things 1st. Why do you think people pay good money for products, they expect & usually receive better quality items.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
OP, bid $85 on it and see what happens. It is not a bad looking cue, as you have stated. The wrap looks decent and the shaft maple doesn't look bad. Heck, at worst you might have to put a different ferrule and tip on it, and it will probably still be worth what you have into it. I mean, it's entirely possible it might play well enough just like it is which would make your $85 investment a bargain.

FWIW it looks very similar to a Lucasi, but many of their cues of that type design and stainless joints have Uniloc pins.

Go ahead....live a little. What the hell, it's ONLY $85. :thumbup:

Maniac

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP, bid $85 on it and see what happens. It is not a bad looking cue, as you have stated. The wrap looks decent and the shaft maple doesn't look bad. Heck, at worst you might have to put a different ferrule and tip on it, and it will probably still be worth what you have into it. I mean, it's entirely possible it might play well enough just like it is which would make your $85 investment a bargain.

FWIW it looks very similar to a Lucasi, but many of their cues of that type design and stainless joints have Uniloc pins.

Go ahead....live a little. What the hell, it's ONLY $85. :thumbup:

Maniac
Brother he ain't lookin' to buy s^*t. This is his m.o.: sling blood in the water and see what happens.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some morons troll !!!