best shaft for easier backspin

Philthepockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you are not getting the reaction you want you are not striking the CB where you intend, a smaller tip may allow you to get lower on the CB ie more spin but it's more to do with your CB contact accuracy and cue speed.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
so yeah my stroke has gone to hell and I simply don't play enough to keep in form so looking to cheat a little, I want a shaft and/or shaft tip combo that imparts maximum English specifically backspin

any suggestions would be appreciated
Backspin comes from hitting the CB low with speed. This can be done with any shaft or cue (assuming the tip holds chalk). The only way to get more (or more accurate or more consistent) backspin is to improve your technique. For lots of good advice, see:

draw shot technique advice

Good luck,
Dave

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Backspin comes from hitting the CB low with speed. This can be done with any shaft or cue (assuming the tip holds chalk). The only way to get more (or more accurate or more consistent) backspin is to improve your technique. For lots of good advice, see:

Good luck,
Dave
Table conditions play a big part too. The effect of backspin is much greater with clean cloth and balls..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Table conditions play a big part too. The effect of backspin is much greater with clean cloth and balls
Agreed, but the effect is the same regardless of the cue or shaft.

Regards,
Dave

PS: For those who want more info concerning ball/cloth effects, see: ball/cloth conditions effects on draw and other shots.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Shafts

so yeah my stroke has gone to hell and I simply don't play enough to keep in form so looking to cheat a little, I want a shaft and/or shaft tip combo that imparts maximum English specifically backspin

any suggestions would be appreciated

Solid maple .................
I make shafts .........
I can match most cues ring work.
Pm me if interested ............
Customer satisfaction first,

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Good luck,
Dave

If I read this correctly, Dr. Dave says it is in the stroke not the stick.

9ball mike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try an OB 1+ shaft. They make it much easier to draw the cue ball. I don't care what others are saying on here. The shaft definitely makes a difference. The OB 1+ is lower deflection than a normal maple shaft and without a doubt makes it easier to spin the cue ball. It is much easier than the predator 314. If you dont believe me set up the same shot with the OB shaft and whichever shaft you are playing with now. I guarantee you will notice a difference.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, let me reword for clarity - going from a 13mm generic-tip shaft to a 12mm Kamui soft tip shaft, the same stroke gave me so much more English that I had to reduce my stroke, and reduce distance from cue ball center for the same effect.

The importance of the stroke is not in debate, but I've experienced a very real difference going to the 12mm shaft with the soft tip.

You will get pretty much the same amount of spin from each shaft. You think you get more spin with the 12mm shaft because you are actually hitting lower on the cue ball with it. The top of the tip is what contacts the cue ball on draw shots. Aiming with both shafts the contact will be 0.5mm lower with the 12mm shaft than 13mm shaft.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Whoa Whoa Whoa guys guys c'mon.....

The gentleman wants to know what the best draw shaft is. I apologize for my less educated brothers and sisters that are shoveling all that "it's the indian, not the arrow" diatribe. Seriously.

Of course it matters what shaft you use to get really sweet backhand draw on the cue ball. I been there bro... I been there. What you wanna do is call up Dennis Searing over there in Palm Beach Florida and just explain to him what you want. No STORE BOUGHT mass-production shaft is gonna give you what you want, you gotta go to a custom craftsman. Ernie Guttierrez of Ginacue can also make a decent shaft, so hit him up if Dennis gives you some kind of excuse like "Are you kidding me?"

Best of luck shooter!

Lesh

Halfjack87

In Training
Silver Member
:deadhorse:
You will get pretty much the same amount of spin from each shaft. You think you get more spin with the 12mm shaft because you are actually hitting lower on the cue ball with it. The top of the tip is what contacts the cue ball on draw shots. Aiming with both shafts the contact will be 0.5mm lower with the 12mm shaft than 13mm shaft.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

If I read this correctly, Dr. Dave says it is in the stroke not the stick.
That is true in general. However if you are comparing cues of radically different weights and/or efficiencies (mostly related to tip hardness), you might get different results for the same stroke "effort." Also, if comparing shafts of different diameters, one needs to be careful to create the same tip contact point on the CB for a fair comparison. For more info, see:

cue tip hardness effects
optimal cue weight
cue efficiency
cue tip size and shape effects

Enjoy,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Isn't it said that thinner shafts and soft tips allow for the most english?
A lot of things are "said" ... but that doesn't make them correct ... regardless of how many times they are said.

Regards,
Dave

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whoa Whoa Whoa guys guys c'mon.....

The gentleman wants to know what the best draw shaft is. I apologize for my less educated brothers and sisters that are shoveling all that "it's the indian, not the arrow" diatribe. Seriously.

Of course it matters what shaft you use to get really sweet backhand draw on the cue ball. I been there bro... I been there. What you wanna do is call up Dennis Searing over there in Palm Beach Florida and just explain to him what you want. No STORE BOUGHT mass-production shaft is gonna give you what you want, you gotta go to a custom craftsman. Ernie Guttierrez of Ginacue can also make a decent shaft, so hit him up if Dennis gives you some kind of excuse like "Are you kidding me?"

Best of luck shooter!

Lesh

To the contrary sir. It's all in your head not the shaft you're using. But if it works for you go for it. There is no silver bullet. Not in pool nor in life. Vote for Pedro and all of your dreams will come true (Napoleon Dynamite). The cue, shaft, and accessory manufacturers applaud you for keeping them in business. A top player will probably beat you with a house cue because they have the stroke. The shaft is wood. the player has the ability not the shaft. A shaft does not provide the player with ability unless you convince yourself that it does in which case it is really you anyhow.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Although the above posters are correct that a good stroke is the key. To say that equipment doesn't have a bearing is incorrect to say the least. With any decent tip and shaft a good stroke will allow the player to draw the cue ball, however anyone who has played any substantial amount of time can attest that some shafts and or tips draw more or easier. With the same player and using the same stroke different equipment will have different results. Please stop its the stroke its the stroke because the shaft and tip do have a impact. I could give any good player a decent cheap cue and given a little time to get used to it they could play well with it, this is where having good mechanics and a solid stroke come in.

:thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2:

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the video "Banking with the Beard", Freddy says to use your last 3 fingers on the cue, to obtain a great Draw Shot... seems to work great for me.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree not all cues are created equal. As in results on the table. With that being said. I also agree a good stroke is really what matters. However, I believe depending on weight distribution within the cue can alter your stroke. Let's say you can draw 2 table lengths with your cue. Your buddy says try my cue. You draw 1 table length. So is it the cue or the stroke? Maybe it's both. The weight distribution has changed your cue ball contact point.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anything Meucci works pretty good. they play with alot of flex in the shafts making it pretty easy to use backspin.

:grin-square::grin-square::grin-square::wink::wink::wink:

:thumbup:

Wow....the only answer that makes sense to me.

:dance:

Veteran68

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As others have said, smaller diameter tips, and dime vs nickel radius tips, change the contact point on the cueball for a given visual. IOW, looking down from the top of the cue to the tip and CB, a smaller tip and a smaller radius will allow you to contact the ball at a point farther from center than the larger tip/radius.

I used to think difference cues and shafts drew differently too. Until I had a much better player take my cue that I was struggling with and made the ball dance all over the table seemingly effortlessly. At that point there was no disputing the fact it was a difference in stroke.

Now that said, I have certainly experienced a perceived difference in how cues/shaft affect english. It seems that almost always when I pick up a new cue (whether my own or a borrowed one), I seem to play better with it. I think this is largely a psychological effect of paying more attention to your stroke with a "strange" cue than your comfortable old player.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Some golfers spend all their money on the latest gear hoping to get more distance and accuracy, when all they really need is someone to point out a few small flaws in their swing.

Get with an instructor or even a good player who can teach and you'll have to start learning how NOT to draw the ball so much.

Last edited: