Dime shape tool recommendation

crobwin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Folks I am working on replacing tips and was wondering what you folks use to make deeper dime size domes. I've been using the Ultimate Tip Tool but it's really not practical and NOT deep enough. I could use a file but my hands aren't coordinated enough to make a perfect shape dome. I'd like to make a HALF-SIZE (looks like half an egg shape or half a circle) dime shaped dome on my tips. Can anyone recommend a tool where the dome is deep enough that it stops at the half way point (half a circle) of the tip. I was thinking of PVC pipe and cutting it in half and then adding sandpaper but I'm not sure what size pipe to get. Similar to sand man tool but more bent if that makes any sense?

Best,

-Rob

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last4Ever

Folks I am working on replacing tips and was wondering what you folks use to make deeper dime size domes. I've been using the Ultimate Tip Tool but it's really not practical and NOT deep enough. I could use a file but my hands aren't coordinated enough to make a perfect shape dome. I'd like to make a HALF-SIZE (looks like half an egg shape or half a circle) dime shaped dome on my tips. Can anyone recommend a tool where the dome is deep enough that it stops at the half way point (half a circle) of the tip. I was thinking of PVC pipe and cutting it in half and then adding sandpaper but I'm not sure what size pipe to get. Similar to sand man tool but more bent if that makes any sense?

Best,

-Rob

http://last4ever.net/

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
Best and fastest way imo is using a file. You need to practice with house cues.

But the easier way is to use a PVC pipe and cut it accordingly to your favorite shape, or u can even try leather, get some thick leather and put sandpaper on it and u can bend it if its not deep enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
But the dime on the last4ever is the same as willards.

PS: I suggested cause I suppose u want something smaller than a dime?

crobwin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Size

Same size dime but deeper I guess means smaller, Timothy. I can use this tool that was recommended and if it's not deep enough I will try the leather with sandpaper method.

I was thinking of going to home depot and cutting some pvc and adding sand paper but I like these options. One more question. I see the tools indicate dime size but which one is the dime ++, PickPocket? The ultimate goal is for the tip not to mushroom so much in the long run. For me the tip last longer this way. I don't worry about miscues as I'm mostly in the center.

But the dime on the last4ever is the same as willards.

PS: I suggested cause I suppose u want something smaller than a dime?

nateobot

Undercover FBI Agent
Silver Member

Best,

-Rob

Bring a dime with you to Home Depot and hold it up next to the end and see if it is more curved than the dime? You'd be looking for about 1/2" to 5/8" inside diameter (dime is almost 3/4")

I use the Last4Ever tool, which is similar to your description but wood not PVC. I would think you could simply angle the shaper while shaving the tip.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Best,

-Rob

Schedule 40 1/2 id pvc about 3" long cut in half. Then one half uses 3M 120 fine adhesive backed for initial shaping and the other half uses 3M 220 fine adhesive backed for final shaping.

After the initial shaping with the 120 you will only need the 220 every once in a while to run over the tip gently.

Works for me. I made my own, didn't like what I saw on the market. Even gave away a few to friends.

That's my 10 cents and I'm sticking to it. :smile:

John

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Same size dime but deeper I guess means smaller
Yes, a dime radius is too big to fit a half circle on a cue tip, but a half circle is too much anyway - that's 180 degrees of arc and you only need 60 degrees of arc to be able to hit the cue ball at the miscue limit without being off the edge of your tip.

In fact, even if you do shape your tip to a half circle you won't be able to hit the CB with more than the middle 60 degrees of it - it's physically impossible.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Few years back, I used a piece of old walnut wood that couldn't be used anywhere for repairing anything,,I took a small block of it , then used a drill bit about 1/32 over the size of a dime shape and drilled down into the block. Then using a band saw, I cut the block in half and had two of the tools. 1 for home and 1 for my case,,all ya have to do then is add the sand paper with some glue to the drilled out part,,and ya have a nice looking sander, for shaping tips.:thumbup:

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I honestly like the kamui gator grip. I have owned the ultimate tip tool as well but the gator grip seems much better to me. It is great for when you miscue as well.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
I honestly like the kamui gator grip. I have owned the ultimate tip tool as well but the gator grip seems much better to me. It is great for when you miscue as well.

Kamui gator grip works great for scuffing the tip. But its too high grit to be use as a shaping tool.

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kamui gator grip works great for scuffing the tip. But its too high grit to be use as a shaping tool.

I use it all the time for shaping as well as scuffing. Granted it takes couple minutes longer the first time but reshaping after that is never an issue. As far as the original shaping goes unless your at a match without a backup why not put it on a lathe and shape it there at high speed.

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All you'll ever need in my opinion is a file. You can use one to not only shape your tips, but also to tap them the scuff them up. I place my shaft on my lap and roll it towards me while holding my file against the tip almost like a lathe. Have never owned anything else to to shape/scuff tips.

Dave

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Yes, a dime radius is too big to fit a half circle on a cue tip, but a half circle is too much anyway - that's 180 degrees of arc and you only need 60 degrees of arc to be able to hit the cue ball at the miscue limit without being off the edge of your tip.

In fact, even if you do shape your tip to a half circle you won't be able to hit the CB with more than the middle 60 degrees of it - it's physically impossible.

pj
chgo
FYI, the minimum tip widths that include 60 degrees of arc are:
- 11/32" (9mm) for a dime radius
- 13/32" (10.75mm) for a nickel radius