What Do You Hate To See In A Cue?

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
To be honest just rounded points and floating points. I used to say various materials like abalone or turquoise, but I've seen certain cue makers prove me wrong over and over again.

sprben83

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to not care, as long as I liked the hit of it and it had mother of pearl somewhere. Ever since I got enfatuated with how cool curly maple and other woods that have lots of figure in it, I now prefer a simple Merry Widow design with the showcase being the wood. Of course the hit is still important too. Since then though, the one thing that irks the crap outta me is rounded points. Makes it look cheap, even if it's from a custom cuemaker.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Any overall design that does not flow has no appeal to me.

The best example of this are designs which are a collision of exotic woods that are seemingly thrown together just for the sake of using rare woods. Examples would be Cocobolo into ebony, three different species of woods on a wrapless cue (forearm/handle/butt sleeve).

They say everyone has an "opposite".... I guess I am yours..The combonation of Cocobolo and Ebony is a marriage made in heaven to me...

Ok now things I don't like in cues.. Ummmm.. A few

-Bumpers that stick out too far
-Huge inlays at the tips of prongs
-Extra long butt sleeves
-Cues loaded with scrimshaw
-Stained maple forearms

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
The combonation of Cocobolo and Ebony is a marriage made in heaven to me...

I would agree with this. Here's why. Cocobolo and Ebony have enough contrast to look nice together. When I see Cocobolo, I see enough red-ish element to contrast with and go with the black ebony. For example, an Ebony handle area with Cocobolo forearm and buttsleeve makes a nice merry widow cue.

By the same token, what I don't think would look particularly good, would be woods that are a bit too similar right next to each other, such as very dark rosewood and ebony, medium rosewood and zircote, that sort of thing. Not enough contrast there.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
They say everyone has an "opposite".... I guess I am yours.
-Stained maple forearms

and im your s because stained curley maple is stunning to me

what I dont like on cues would probably piss off every one on the site
there isnt much design that makes me go wow nice job
certainly none that id ask for or willing to pay for

I like em plane with pretty wood that I cant stop looking at
the right and simple ring can also make a difference that wasn't previously envisioned

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They say everyone has an "opposite".... I guess I am yours..The combonation of Cocobolo and Ebony is a marriage made in heaven to me...

As with any cue, it is all in the design.

I just saw pictures of a wrapless Cocobolo into Ebony sneaky and it is gorgeous. It is an example of letting the woods be the design.

Unfortunately, this now means we are no longer opposites. :)

SWN99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Irish linen that has been covered with clear coat.... why waste time with a wrap only to cover it.

sgonzalez34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't really like any wraps, especially linen wraps that end up smelling like cigarette smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk