What Do You Hate To See In A Cue?

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
IMHO

I have thought about this long and hard from every point of view I could... So looking at it from a perspective of a person that don't know much about cues, and let's say they purchased a $950 cue on a order with inlays and veneers, designed it and sent the info to the cue maker, when the cue arrived it has a name of cue maker scribbled on the forearm in the expensive/precision work. Ewwwyuck
If I knew little about cues but was turned on to a cue maker by word of mouth "which is often" that they play great so I decide to order a custom and it arrives with someone's name down the forearm. "I don't care if Houdini signed it" I'd be pissed to see a scribble or any type of freehand writing on the forearm, maybe a makers mark but not the silly stuff I've seen hand written on custom cues these days.

Rob.M

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Malachite and turquoise in the same cue.....followed by too much malachite or turquoise in a cue. Has that been said before?.....lol :D

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
probably already mentioned

Anything that hides the sharp end of a prong. I really don’t like arrowheads at the top end of the point or dots at the trough end of full splices. They always look like (and probably are) they are hiding imperfections in alignment. I would rather see misaligned sharp points.

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
I can't stand the look of CNC points that are trying to look like splice points...

Some CNC machine floating points look great, but that's more the exception than the norm. And if you are going to use a CNC machine, use the smallest bit you possibly can to avoid to overly round tips,...

I'm also not particularly fond of overly bright colors or inlays...

Turquoise in a cue = yuck. But put granite or something with a darker vibe to it and the same inlay can look great to me. Example... the newer version Schon CX-03 has turquoise diamonds with bright rosewood floating points and looks downright ugly to me, but older version of that same exact cue with cocobolo floating points and grey imitation granite inlays is gorgeous to me. When I first saw the CX-03 I was shopping for a Schon to use as a daily shooter, it was the current version and I hated the way it looked and wouldn't have considered it for even a fraction of the cost. But when I saw the same cue for sale with the dark points and the granite, I had to have it... Bought the old CX-03 and LOVE it.

Last edited:

PocketPooler

Silver Member
hate it

I absolutely wanna puke when I see black with red spec linen wrap.

Dirty ferrules from idiots boring out the chalk

Rounded inlays/points that need to be pointed. CNC okay but I'm talking rounded...

OAK

Paintings or pictures airbrushed on.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Luminescent veneers that overpower the colors of the forearm and points.

Signatures in the points.

Last edited:

Busbee Cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Points that are not even, I have seen cues that
the builder is asking over $600 for and the points
are off by half an inch.

If a builder can not keep everything on center what
other things are being done poorly that you can not
see?

jailer12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cue

Malachite looks crappy and it just don't look good it make a cue look cheap no matter what the cue maker.... mother of pearl is cool but only in small doses . same with turquoise is need to be small doses. I do have a couple of cues with gems in them that were done right and they don't look like a rappers necklace if you know what I mean....

deanosdino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Traits that I don't like.

1. Decal cues, fiber glass, composite, etc. (burn them)
2. Ramin wood shafts. (Junk)
3. Rounded points. (I want spliced not inlayed points, otherwise it's a lie)
4. Points that have the same color wood as the forearm. (with a few exceptions that I've seen)
5. Schmelke or Dufferin joints. (hate'em)
6. Nylon wraps. (linen is way better)
7. Coated wraps. (If you don't want a wrap then don't put one on) Hear that Meucci!
8. Faux mother of pearl or abalone inlays. (use the real thing or don't do it)
9. Elforyn joint and/or butt caps. (not a durable material)
10. Extensive inlay on the butt sleeve with nothing on the forearm.
11. Cues with someone's name on it. (It's fine if it's my name, but I don't want someone elses. Who knows if it's stolen or not.)
12. Cues with pink in them. (no offense to you ladies or pepto bismal)

AK-Stick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can understand uneven points and even appreciate them for being hand made. I am not a fan of square bottom points on a full splice cue nor rounded points or inlays.