314-3 through a pencil sharpener?

hejests

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey folks, quick question for anyone playing with a 314-3 shaft:
Is your ferrule/tip pad tapered?

I picked up a new cue with a 314-3 shaft. The ferrule tapers from 12.78mm on the wood side of the ferrule to 12.65mm on the tip side of the ferrule down to 12.60mm at the pad. The tip has a pretty significant taper as well so it looks like they pushed the whole thing through a pencil sharpener.

I'm probably just being anal about it but this sort of taper is what I try to avoid when installing a new tip.

If this wasn't the straightest shaft I've ever seen, I might have returned it by now.

Anyhow, thought I would ask if anyone else's 314-3 is this way.

Serge

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Echelon

The hill hill thrilla
Silver Member
That small of a change would be hard to see, when I get a chance I will measure mine with my digital calipers.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Hey folks, quick question for anyone playing with a 314-3 shaft:
Is your ferrule/tip pad tapered?

I picked up a new cue with a 314-3 shaft. The ferrule tapers from 12.78mm on the wood side of the ferrule to 12.65mm on the tip side of the ferrule down to 12.60mm at the pad. The tip has a pretty significant taper as well so it looks like they pushed the whole thing through a pencil sharpener.

I'm probably just being anal about it but this sort of taper is what I try to avoid when installing a new tip.

If this wasn't the straightest shaft I've ever seen, I might have returned it by now.

Anyhow, thought I would ask if anyone else's 314-3 is this way.

Serge

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Welcome to the world of aftermarket shafts. Depending on the skill of the 14 year old Chinese kid who finished your shaft, it could vary quite a bit. Well, maybe he or she was 18 years old. Do you expect the quality control for aftermarket shafts to be a well known high-end cuemaker? You'd better not. They vary all over the place. And, never ever order a different than standard tip from the internet marketers. I won't mention any names, but they change the tip, and to make it look nice, they sand the ferrule and tip down, creating that taper.

Still surprised that those shafts taper down?

All the best,
WW

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
It wont affect play but I would prefer 12.75 at the tip.
12.6 is getting down there
You're not being anal at all, I hate that

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Do you expect the quality control for aftermarket shafts to be a well known high-end cuemaker? You'd better not.

Ha, many high-end makers have worse quality control than Predator. If I wanted to get banned or flamed, I'd be outing some. Unreal how bad most of these guys are at the basics, the intermediates, and the hard stuff.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^ I have to side with ideologist above. Predator may not always be the best quality especially with their butt construction methods but their shafts have always been rather consistent, well fit and finished atleast from what I have seen. There are better out there for sure, both custom and production but when it comes to comparing the consistency of predator shafts to those made by some well regarded cue makers shafts my money would, in many cases, be with the predator shafts being more consistent and better fit than the custom ones :rolleyes:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Ha, many high-end makers have worse quality control than Predator. If I wanted to get banned or flamed, I'd be outing some. Unreal how bad most of these guys are at the basics, the intermediates, and the hard stuff.

Actually I don't disagree with you on that. I think most of the time, at least if we're talking Predator, they come pretty consistent, though with a little bit of taper. That's their version of a pro taper. Where I think the problem comes in more likely, is as I said, requesting a different tip that what came with the factory shaft. A cue repairman often gets a bit lathe-happy and sands down the ferrule to make things look nice. Trouble is, they don't necessarily measure nice after that effort.

All the best,
WW

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Return it to the vendor you bought it from, before chalking, is my opinion. Have them send you a new one.

I bought probably 15 predator shafts since 1997 or so, and was happy with all but one of them. I think it had a slight warp when I took it out of the packaging. I notified the vendor, and they sent me a replacement.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm calling BS on this one, how dare you slam the high end makers like this.

REMOVE that part on your posts talking crap about the mods and tomfoolery.

Please say SORRY to all high end makers for your comments.