Your Top 3 Favorite Accustats Videos

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another easy one-

#2- Earl vs Efren, sands........etc, we all know which one

#1- 1989 or 1990, I believe it was Sands.
Anyway, Varner vs. Sigel, Varner was down 9-2 and corner hooked in a race to 11 and came back to hill-hill. On the hill he broke and ran up to the 9, DOGGED IT, and fluked into a win anyway.

To this day it is the greatest display of heart and talent that I have ever seen.

If you see Nick, just mention a crazy comeback against Sigel and he'll know which match you are referring to.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Oh, and I really enjoyed McCready vs Parica in the 03 Open......the first match, when he won. Made some crazy force follows off of the rail and fantastic outs.

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tin Man said:
Another easy one-

#2- Earl vs Efren, sands........etc, we all know which one

#1- 1989 or 1990, I believe it was Sands.
Anyway, Varner vs. Sigel, Varner was down 9-2 and corner hooked in a race to 11 and came back to hill-hill. On the hill he broke and ran up to the 9, DOGGED IT, and fluked into a win anyway.

To this day it is the greatest display of heart and talent that I have ever seen.

If you see Nick, just mention a crazy comeback against Sigel and he'll know which match you are referring to.

I've seen those. The one with Varner, the wing ball was dead on every single rack. There was not one single game where the wing ball did not go straight in the corner on the break. Nick pretty much controlled the match from there, except later on when Sigel won one more game, but screwed up in the next IIRC. Nick missed an easy 9ball in the side pocket, but left Sigel frozen to the 9 with no shot. Sigel just slammed at the ball and sent the cueball flying off the table. He was PISSED!

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
In no paticular order,

Irving Crane vs. Joe Balsis (14.1) nostalgia and a 150 and out

Jim Rempe vs. Thomas Engert (14.1) Rempe shoots an 85, Engert runs 97 and out.

Mika Immonen vs. Johnny Archer (9 ball) Immonen shoots a 1.000

JLW

Dunder Mifflin Salesman
Silver Member
The two that stick out in my mind are Mike Sigel vs Mike Zuglan and Irving Crane vs Joe Balsis.

Two outstanding examples of straight pool excellence from 2 different eras under very different playing conditions.

Onepocket73

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuetechasaurus said:
What are your most memorable matches you've ever seen on accustats? They dont have to be recent.
1.Archer vs. King James(9-ball)
2.Sigel vs. Zuglan(staight pool,Sigel runs 150 and out)
3.Mark Tadd vs. Kim Davenport(9-ball)----Tadd should have won the match,but he got cocky!I am still ticked at Mark for that....LOL

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Onepocket73 said:
1.Archer vs. King James(9-ball)
2.Sigel vs. Zuglan(staight pool,Sigel runs 150 and out)
3.Mark Tadd vs. Kim Davenport(9-ball)----Tadd should have won the match,but he got cocky!I am still ticked at Mark for that....LOL

What year and tournament was the Archer/Rempe match? And are you sure it was Tadd and Davenport? I saw a match where Mark Tadd played Sigel and kind of gave up, slamming balls around, and Sigel came back and won.

desert1pocket

Registered Fish
Silver Member
1- Efren vs Shannon Daulton 1-pocket
2- Grady Mathews vs Richie Richeson 1-pocket
3- Efren vs ? 1-pocket - it's the one where he is corner hooked in his own hole, and his opponents game winning ball is in the jaws. Efren rolls the cue on the spot, and spots a ball to block the shot. He ends up winning the game. I balme that shot as the reason I became addicted to 1-pocket.

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
desert1pocket said:
3- Efren vs ? 1-pocket - it's the one where he is corner hooked in his own hole, and his opponents game winning ball is in the jaws. Efren rolls the cue on the spot, and spots a ball to block the shot. He ends up winning the game. I balme that shot as the reason I became addicted to 1-pocket.

I've heard of this, but I can't figure out which tape it is. Can you find out who he was playing, and what year and tournament it was? I MUST SEE IT!!!! :D

JG-in-KY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one that comes to mind is from the Sands tournament in Reno. Nick Varner is the hotest player going and Earl bagels him 11-0! Earl runs like a 5 pack and gets out from everywhere. One rack he shoots a bank combo. Great commentary from Grady, Buddy, Sammy Jones and Mark Wilson.

NittiFan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuetechasaurus said:
I've seen those. The one with Varner, the wing ball was dead on every single rack. There was not one single game where the wing ball did not go straight in the corner on the break. Nick pretty much controlled the match from there, except later on when Sigel won one more game, but screwed up in the next IIRC. Nick missed an easy 9ball in the side pocket, but left Sigel frozen to the 9 with no shot. Sigel just slammed at the ball and sent the cueball flying off the table. He was PISSED!

My favorite, Phil Cappelle makes mention of this match in one of his books for a decision Mike makes on a five ball shot. He makes a stop shot on the five and takes a tougher shot on the next ball rather than trying a hard draw shot.

Also Matthews v. Varner in a straight pool exhibiton on Cherry Grove Ill. Nick puts a 76-74 on Grady to the delight of Freddy "The Beard" and Billy Incardona.

And...Hall v. Hoa in the 1999? US Open finals.

Mike

jhendri2

Rack'em Sausage
Silver Member
#1 - 2000 14.1 U.S. Open - Rempe v Ortmann - Some of the best straight you'll see on tape. Ortmann runs 129 and Rempe run 96. Very close to getting two century runs on the same tape. Both guys play just amazing!

#2 - 23rd Sands Regency - Johnny Archer (11) v Efren Reyes (10) - An exciting hill-hill match. The final match is worth the price of the tape alone!

#3 - 2001 World Cup 3-Cushion - Raymond Cuelmans v Sang Chun Lee - Even though both of these masters are past their prime on this tape, it's great history being able to watch both of them compete against each other.

Jim

desert1pocket

Registered Fish
Silver Member
cuetechasaurus said:
I've heard of this, but I can't figure out which tape it is. Can you find out who he was playing, and what year and tournament it was? I MUST SEE IT!!!! :D

The only time I saw it was when a guy brought it in to the pool hall, and we all watched it together. I am out of town this week, but will try to figure it out for you when I get back. It was pretty old, and may have been produced by someone other than accustats.

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
2003 us open; keith vs. parica

2003 dcc; grady vs. keith

2003 dcc; flaherty vs. danny d.

jake

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
desert1pocket said:
1- Efren vs Shannon Daulton 1-pocket
2- Grady Mathews vs Richie Richeson 1-pocket

I have heard this rumor, but have never seen the tape. I guess I just don't get it. If Efren was corner hooked, couldn't he just touch the cueball and take a foul? How would the resulting kick be any easier than the kick from the foot spot (especially when compounded the risk of rolling an inch too far and selling out all together, a risk that looms large even for Efren). Could someone set up a Wei table diagram of what really happened? If not, I am dismissing this as an urban legend.

RobertR

WWSLD
Silver Member
My favorite is Keith Vs. the Miz. Rak'M-Up Classic, Columbia SC, January 1988. Tied 6-6 in the final race to 9, the Miz corner hooks himself on the 8, Keith jumps up and starts acting like the ass he was/is, yelling at the crowd "It's Like a Nightmare", and the Miz calmly makes the 8 off the point of the corner. Only time I've ever seen that shot made in competition. Seeing Keith fall on the ground when the real man with class and a true player makes the shot: Priceless.

1-pocket-player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuetechasaurus said:
What year and tournament was the Archer/Rempe match? And are you sure it was Tadd and Davenport? I saw a match where Mark Tadd played Sigel and kind of gave up, slamming balls around, and Sigel came back and won.
Mark Tadd vs. Kim Davenport.

BTW- I have heard stories Mark dumped that match. I don't have any proof that it is true or not. It's still a great match though.

-Andy

desert1pocket

Registered Fish
Silver Member
Tin Man said:
I have heard this rumor, but have never seen the tape. I guess I just don't get it. If Efren was corner hooked, couldn't he just touch the cueball and take a foul? How would the resulting kick be any easier than the kick from the foot spot (especially when compounded the risk of rolling an inch too far and selling out all together, a risk that looms large even for Efren). Could someone set up a Wei table diagram of what really happened? If not, I am dismissing this as an urban legend.

I will try for you, but I am not very proficient with the diagram tables-

P

(There are 2 pages in the cue-table diagram) I completely agree that the risk of rolling too far, or not far enough was huge, but it does make the kick more difficult. As you can see, the ball is a few inches out, making a kick slightly harder than you may have thought, and eliminating the short kick possibility. By doing what you suggest it stills leaves a fairly easy kick, but not exactly a duck. By shooting the shot Efren does, it not only makes the kick much more difficult, but also leaves a potential sell out or shape ball should he go for the kick and miss. I don't know about you, but being jacked up over a ball when kicking makes it a much lower percentage shot for me, not to mention that it is no longer lined up on the diamonds perfectly. He made the kick difficult enough that his opponent played safe, and after a long safety battle, Efren was able to make one ball at a time to eventually win the game.

Last edited:

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
All 14.1

cuetechasaurus said:
What are your most memorable matches you've ever seen on accustats? They dont have to be recent.

Irving Crane/Joe Balsis 1966 Crane runs 150 and out. He starts with a wrap around dead ball.

Oliver Ortmann/Jim Rempe, 2000 Ortmann runs 129 and Rempe follows with 96, an amazing run.

Ralf Soquet/Efren Reyes, 2000, Soquet runs the most perfect 120.