New High Run--Some Observations

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been stuck at 39 for a long time. I have dogged my brains out on countless occasions in the 30's. Therefore, I have all kinds of runs in the 30's, and I am likely to run 30-something anytime I hit a ball.

Recently I have noticed that I have been slamming break shots and getting terrible rolls, so I have no shot afterwards. I have to do this because when I hit the shots a moderate pace balls do not come out. I am not playing in TV like conditions. There is older cloth on this table and the balls are very old and beat up.

Before I started this last high run I racked the balls and started to count the gaps between the balls. Not only were there all kinds of gaps, but several of the balls were not touching a single other ball. In my view, this places me at a decided disadvantage, as a number of shallow (er) angle breaks shots are not smart options if one is trying to break the balls to continue a run. The shot where you pop the break shot in and draw six inches back between the side pockets (think Niels Feijen) is just not a viable option.

I start running the balls. After the first rack, my wife calls and says the people that will fix our AC will be at the house in an hour. Obviously, I cannot leave with a run unfinished, so I start shooting pretty fast. I get out. I am now on a run of 29. I hit the break shot like Mosconi. I get out again, screw up a break shot for the following rack, but break the next rack poorly anyway. My run ends at 46.

Some observations in this latest attack on my high run are this:

1) Playing with weird undersized balls simply takes away a lot of break shots that might be viable in better conditions.
2) I need to pick my pace up, and maybe a lot of us do. If you are moving fast, doing what you know to do, there is no time to dog it...or at least less time.

kollegedave

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
new balls and magic rack..

when I play faster, I stop counting the balls, and often before I think about it, I have run the rack. I'm the type where too much thinking can hurt my game, sounds like you are the same.

If you can run 30 regularly, your mind/body knows what you do, so let it do it. Congrats on the improvement and for noticing what you did different.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
You owe it to yourself to get some new good balls and keep them clean. You will be happy with the way they break out for you. No sense in spending all your time beating your head against the wall, figuratively speaking. my two cents. :smile:

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member
You owe it to yourself to get some new good balls and keep them clean. You will be happy with the way they break out for you. No sense in spending all your time beating your head against the wall, figuratively speaking. my two cents. :smile:

^^What he said^^

get a carrying case with it with a shoulder strap.