Question about leather wraps

dalo

Registered
Are they the same thickness as linen wraps?

Can you replace a linen wrap with a leather wrap and vice-versa without effecting the overall thickness of the grip?

Jason Koopman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, generally not. Cue makers can use epoxy or whatever method they may have before changing the wrap to make it flush with the rest of the cue.

mfarrey71

CueNut71
Silver Member
Generally the thickness of the leather is more than the linen! Usually the handle is cut or sanded down to accommodate for the difference in the thickness of the leather so it still sits flush with the rest of the cue if you are going from linen to leather.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are they the same thickness as linen wraps?

Can you replace a linen wrap with a leather wrap and vice-versa without effecting the overall thickness of the grip?

it depends on the piece of leather. it's organic it's not all going to be the same size. elephant ear for example is thicker than linnen and stack leather.

what aer you thinking of putting on your cue?

dalo

Registered
what aer you thinking of putting on your cue?

I have a cue I want to replace a linen wrap with a lizard wrap.

I think I understand now. So basically if it is thicker they sand it down so the material is flush and if it is thinner it gets built up with glue?

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
It will depend on how deep the handle channel is cut. When whomever you commission to change the wrap removes the linen, they will be able to see if the leather wrap will work without changing the channel in the handle. I have a Tascarella that had an irish linen wrap and I had Kenny Koo replace it with a very thin, smooth european calf wrap, and no alterations were necessary. As Sam said, the thickness of the leather will make a difference as well. The thinner leather provides a better feel in my opinion, almost like a wrapless cue

-dj

Last edited: