Where is the best Pool Hall in Roanoke, VA

poolplayerrm

Registered
Hi,
I'm going to Roakoke, VA this Saturday and would like some information on the best pool hall to go too.

Thanks,
Michael:confused:

Inzombiac

Silver Member
My best friend is from Roanoke and I went up there during the summer to hang out. I was actually searching for a pool hall because I'm a fiend like that, but I didn't see anything out of bars and whatnot. I think your best bet is to ask around when you get there, cus not only have I not met that many people from Roanoke, but the few that I have met are very very friendly and they know their town like they know themselves.

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
guys and dolls on williamson rd is about the only true "pool hall" i know of up there. They have some small tourneys up the road on williamson at the second alarm, i cant rmemeber if its bar tables or if they have a full sized too, and theres a few other bars up there that have bar tables. Guys and dolls has all full size tables (kim steele) and is a decent place to shoot although action is a little scarce there (they play alot of one pocket but getting up a 9ball game can be tough).

cdavis9771

Yes this dog will bite;)
Silver Member
scottycoyote said:
guys and dolls on williamson rd is about the only true "pool hall" i know of up there. They have some small tourneys up the road on williamson at the second alarm, i cant rmemeber if its bar tables or if they have a full sized too, and theres a few other bars up there that have bar tables. Guys and dolls has all full size tables (kim steele) and is a decent place to shoot although action is a little scarce there (they play alot of one pocket but getting up a 9ball game can be tough).

I've seen a few ring games in there.

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolplayerrm said:
Hi,
I'm going to Roakoke, VA this Saturday and would like some information on the best pool hall to go too.

Thanks,
Michael:confused:

Guys & Dolls on Williamson Road near the Convention Center and downtown Roanoke.

They have all 1 pocket action for a few dollars. Some drunks roll in there Friday and Saturday night and will loose some money. Be careful at night. Saturday at noon and after is a good time to start if you are looking for action. Parking in front is impossible so you have to go around the block. The shopping center across the street will tow your car.

See the owner John Joplin and talk with him. He will steer you to a fair game. John owned the New Wood bar in the late 60s/ early 70s? when Mexican Joe ran 13 racks of 9 ball in a row in a ring game. The following week his partner, One eyed Tony, ran 13 racks in a ring game - all of these against Roanoke's finest players.

If you have a chance to talk with the old guy Olli (spelling?) who works the cash register, he has been around Roanoke forever and can talk old times/players with you. I think a famous matchup in the 50s was Roanoke's Sweathead playing Weenie Beanie one handed one pocket for some dollars. Sweathead is still kicking but he has been barred from Guys & Dolls I hear.

I think VAPoolplayer, an AZBilliards (haven't heard from him lately), comes in every once in a while. I have asked about him and they think he may be 'VA Boy'. He likes to gamble, well at least he has stated so on AZ :D many times.

There is a black dude (60s?) who is nice and close to an A player who plays cheap 9 ball and 1 pocket. His name is Alli (spelling?).

Everyone is friendly there. If you sit down and just start talking with people you will find out everything in one hour or less.

Roanoke Ray :D

mr8ball

I go there all the time. It is a pretty nice place and they do have tournaments on most Sat. They are on bar tables though. It is some good action there if the players are in town. They have a big 8 ball barbox tournament on the 1st and 3rd Sat. at Second alarm just right up the road from there and it is some good players there. It is a guy there just about every week named Perry Hale and he likes action on a bar box. He is an A player but he wont be suckered into anything but if the game is right he will play all night. Also Wes Largen is there sometimes and another guy Chris Shepard both are real good players and like action. If you are looking for action i think you can find it but most of the players come in the pool room after 12 noon and then go to the tournament up the road. Anyway good luck on your trip, Doug

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My daddy was born in that area and grew up just out side of Roanoke VA in Gretna VA. Haven't been in that area in years and at that time I knew of no pool halls.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
My daddy was born in that area and grew up just out side of Roanoke VA in Gretna VA. Haven't been in that area in years and at that time I knew of no pool halls.

I got lost in Gretna once until I was found. What a metropolis.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New spot in Roanoke ,,The Wolfs Den,,Diamond Table and looks to be a great spot. Hasn't been open long,,but hope it survives .