Carpet or no Carpet?

Prince H

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, Everyone!:cool:

I am finally at the point where I can afford to get a home table. The only location that it will fit is in a section of my house that is currently hardwood. My question is whether or not I need to/should put some kind of carpet between the table and the hardwood. I'm not going to install wall-to-wall carpet, so it would have to be a huge are rug. Thought?

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I'm not a mechanic, but I am a table owner. I'd put down some carpet. The first time you or a guest drops their cue (and it will happen) you'll be happy you did. It is also generally quieter.

SNO

Registered
I would put down something just to protect the floor. One bump from one of your buddies and there's a big scratch in that nice hardwood floor.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Hi, Everyone!:cool:

I am finally at the point where I can afford to get a home table. The only location that it will fit is in a section of my house that is currently hardwood. My question is whether or not I need to/should put some kind of carpet between the table and the hardwood. I'm not going to install wall-to-wall carpet, so it would have to be a huge are rug. Thought?

Carpet, no carpet, don't really make much of a difference. But what does make a difference is the table choice. What kind of table are we talking about?

Prince H

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, the more I think about it the more I feel like carpet is a must. How much rug area is needed for a 9 ft. Diamond table so that both feet are on the carpet during any given shot? If the carpet is thin enough, is it even a big deal to have one on and one off? I have seen 12' x 15' area rugs and that sounds like it might work, but I haven't actually taken the measurements for how much foot space is needed :confused:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Yeah, the more I think about it the more I feel like carpet is a must. How much rug area is needed for a 9 ft. Diamond table so that both feet are on the carpet during any given shot? If the carpet is thin enough, is it even a big deal to have one on and one off? I have seen 12' x 15' area rugs and that sounds like it might work, but I haven't actually taken the measurements for how much foot space is needed :confused:

What model of table are you talking about?

Crash

Pool Hall Owner
Silver Member
I'm not a mechanic, but I am a table owner. I'd put down some carpet. The first time you or a guest drops their cue (and it will happen) you'll be happy you did. It is also generally quieter.

I agree ... nothing pops a tip off or cracks a ferrule like standing a cue on its butt then let it drop on a hard floor. How do I know? We have carpet but there is an area of tile near the bar that a few cues have hit.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
9ft. Pro-am 3 piece

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. First of all, if you bought the table new from Diamond, I don't think it's left the factory yet because of a couple of problems, weather being one of them. So, if it's a new table, call them up and tell them to add some neoprene to the bottom of the feet so the table won't slide around on your hardwood floor if bumped. Then, if you really want carpet to walk on while you're playing pool, go to Lowes or Home Depot and check out the hallway runner carpeting, it's like 3 ft wide, long enough to go 20 feet down the sides of the table, then shorter runners to fit between the long ones going across the ends of the table. 2 sided tape will hold them in place forever, but allow you to remove them if needed....never having to move the table to do so.

Prince H

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then, if you really want carpet to walk on while you're playing pool, go to Lowes or Home Depot and check out the hallway runner carpeting, it's like 3 ft wide, long enough to go 20 feet down the sides of the table, then shorter runners to fit between the long ones going across the ends of the table. 2 sided tape will hold them in place forever, but allow you to remove them if needed....never having to move the table to do so.

I like this idea. Makes for a more modular (and cheaper) solution. Thanks for the neoprene suggestion as well...probably wouldn't have thought of that.

ND Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the same decision, I chose carpet and glad I did, the occasional ball off the table or dropping a stick is less of a big deal. I almost went ceramic tile but that could have been a disaster. I would go with something that is stain resistant for damned near ever. So far so good with my choice, I was concerned about concentrated soiling or wear around the table walk area. I was expecting some ring of dirt, but so far nothing.