Silver Member
not that I ever had a stakehose
I was almost always the under dog

I loved playing people who were being staked for several reasons
1 The stake horse had money
2 If a guy needed a stahe horse<it was a sign to me that
he was not so smart in his field or he would not need a stake horse

3 It gave me 2 people to match up with

4 Stake horses usually have a bit of hero worship in them and therefore over rate their horse
while under valuing the handicap,plus players are less difficult to match up with the other guys money

5 The stake horse usually has a lot of gamble

6 i never felt like playing with a stake horse was any real benefit to the other side
some say a player dogs it on his own money,I have seen just as many dog it trying to please the stake horse

7 I believe in treating the stake horses like princes,dinner,drinks and always respect

8 I usually discount the opinion of people who think player can not play on their own money,but then again I tend to discount everything I hear from pool players

9 pool was my third game after golf and poker,so i always looked for opportunities
to take the stake horse to play one of my other games

10 I used to be surprised when people would read my stories or hear them and then be introduced to me when they didn't ask for advice

As a youngster I sought out the very best and asked for advice from the likes of Titanic Thompson,Doug Sanders,Jersey Red, Vernon Litton and Waco Sam Abner.Sam practically adopted me,he took me by the hand and instructed me in the basics.
one day he called me in California and asked me to move back to Dallas and amount to something

when I got here he gave me a huge amount of cash and told me to get busy buying and selling houses.when I paid him back and gave him half the profits within a year,I thought he
was going to cry

He said of all the people who he helped,I was the only one to pay him back,he was never a pool stake horse

I loved that old man,when he died a part of me died with him

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
In the end, the most any of us can hope for is to be remembered fondly. Therefore, I'd say you had a good stakehorse.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Maybe jackpot can weigh in on this top 10 list to help us separate the nuggets of wisdom from the other nuggets.

Sounds like Abner was the real deal.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what's the difference between being backed at pool and being backed at real estate?

what about college scholarships and genius and other such grants? isn't that just 'dolled-up' staking?

does #2 apply to these people, or is the opposite true?

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well Well

not that I ever had a stakehorse
I was almost always the under dog

I loved playing people who were being staked for several reasons

9 pool was my third game after golf and poker,so i always looked for opportunities
to take the stake horse to play one of my other games

As a youngster I sought out the very best and asked for advice from the likes of Titanic Thompson,Doug Sanders,Jersey Red, Vernon Litton

QUOTE]
# 9
Poker huh ? Well why did I not get in on this, you were kind enough to let me in
on the other two.
And I gave you good advice quite a few times"QUIT we cant't win.''
Not really, we took it off every time we were supposed to and most of the time we
weren't supposed to.
jack

GeoEnvi

Diamond System Enthusiast
Silver Member
One thing about players playing with other money that I always found interesting:

Freddy the Beard often said that being staked always added to his speed. Worth a game or two on the wire.

Anyone else with similar thoughts?

MnHunter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing about players playing with other money that I always found interesting:

Freddy the Beard often said that being staked always added to his speed. Worth a game or two on the wire.

Anyone else with similar thoughts?

My personal preference has always been to make someone play on their own money and bet high enough that I knew they only had one or two barrels max. I've seen many a player fire a ball straight into the rail that I beleive would have been a duck if they werent sweating their own cash.