Substitute for cue chalk?

Brizzle

Registered
I was at my nephew birthday party yesterday at skating ring. The skating ring had 7' coin operated table mostly played by teenagers.
Long story short. Table had no chalk for cues.
I use center ball on 99% of my shots so i could try to prevent miss queuing.
Work for the most part.
Later after my wife run my off the table so that i could spend some time with the kids. I noticed some other parents i didnt know playing on table. Shooting decent.

Using there pocket knives to scuff up cue tip.
Does this work? I cant remember seeing them miss que.
Im going to try keep chalk in my car and truck just in case in future.

Also is there anything special you all do to work with bad house cue. Play halfway decent and enjoy it.

Thanks

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Dry dirt I guess. lol or Cigarette Ashes. I've heard of people using drywall. Maybe burn the tip! lol
I have a warped sense of humor. I could get carried away with this!

Last edited:

Jsnstanley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don’t necessarily have to have chalk. Just friction. They provided friction with ‘scruffing’ up the tip. :)

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve done s8milar before when I’ve found myself in a similar situation. Used one of my keys to give the tip a little roughing up. Doesn’t do nearly as good as chalk, but it’s better than nothing.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I’ve done s8milar before when I’ve found myself in a similar situation. Used one of my keys to give the tip a little roughing up. Doesn’t do nearly as good as chalk, but it’s better than nothing.

I've used a Quarter many times for this reason

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've used the pocket knife trick and key,
and it does work better than nothing.
I know you want a serious answer from folks.
I've used a piece of chalk from a nearby score board;
it actually worked fantastic!
Your best bet is probably like you said.
Just keep some chalk in the car.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
I was at my nephew birthday party yesterday at skating ring. The skating ring had 7' coin operated table mostly played by teenagers.
Long story short. Table had no chalk for cues.

Using there pocket knives to scuff up cue tip.
Does this work? I cant remember seeing them miss que.
Im going to try keep chalk in my car and truck just in case in future.

Also is there anything special you all do to work with bad house cue. Play halfway decent and enjoy it.

Thanks

Kick a hole in the drywall. Use your finger to white coat your tip. No one will notice. :D

Brizzle

Registered
Thank you all for quick responses.
Its good to know others have been same situation.
I will try to be better prepared next time.
The drwall trick sounds interesting.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Kick a hole in the drywall. Use your finger to white coat your tip. No one will notice. :D

I was thinking more like......Youre at a party theres a pool table sticks and no chalk. You cut a hole in the wall behind a picture. Everyone moves the picture and chalks up. Hey they never know so no harm done! lol

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I tried keeping chalk in my car but it makes a mess of things. Now I carry a blue Sharpie and simply color the tip blue if the establishment has no chalk. Works great!!! :thumbup: