Best value jump / break cue?

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's probably been asked before, but honestly this forum is a nightmare to search. I mostly played 8-ball until a couple months ago and broke with a basic Players sneaky with a beat up LePro tip. Anything with a phenolic tip would be an improvement for breaking. I recently got into 9-ball and 10-ball too and there safeties both intentional and accidental are more common so I think a jump cue becomes justified.

McDermott makes a cue with 3 parts of equal length that's I've been considering for traveling, I'm wondering if that could be a good alternative, maybe with 2 shafts, 1 regular tip and 1 phenolic.

Julian

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
It's probably been asked before, but honestly this forum is a nightmare to search. I mostly played 8-ball until a couple months ago and broke with a basic Players sneaky with a beat up LePro tip. Anything with a phenolic tip would be an improvement for breaking. I recently got into 9-ball and 10-ball too and there safeties both intentional and accidental are more common so I think a jump cue becomes justified.

McDermott makes a cue with 3 parts of equal length that's I've been considering for traveling, I'm wondering if that could be a good alternative, maybe with 2 shafts, 1 regular tip and 1 phenolic.

Julian

I bought 3 of these when I first bought my home table, one for home and two others to put in my "take to the sleazy bar" cases. Ten years later they are still breaking a rack just fine and I have no problems whatsoever jumping with them either. I did have a Samsara break/jump tip installed on one of them, but the only noticeable difference I can tell as opposed to the other two is the sound it makes when you make contact with the cue ball and better control when used for breaking. Still, the Samsara is a GREAT tip (I have it on my serious and more expensive jump/break cues), so the $16 upgrade would not be a bad investment.

https://www.pooldawg.com/action-actbjz-break-jump-cue

Notice the reviews, a bunch of satisfied customers. Remember....you said "best value". IMO, this cue falls into that category.

Maniac (ETA: and, Pooldawg does have a 60-day return policy on cues if you don't like it)

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After playing around with quite a few of the lower market break/jump cues, the Players PureX 4-piece one is nice, and used they are about $150. I got one from a member on AZB for a good price, and really like it. The shortest jump configuration jumps easily even from close range to the object ball. And honestly, it's just fun to play with the different configurations you can get. I still have 3 of the cheaper jump/break cues that I won from charity raffles, but don't use them at all now.

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
United break/jump from Germany. Best bang for the buck. It can make a nuclear break, awesome cue.

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys, looks like either the generic J&J/Action or the more versatile PureX are good options.

Next question, what weight do you use for your jump/break? Same as your playing cue? More? Less?

Julian

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys, looks like either the generic J&J/Action or the more versatile PureX are good options.

Next question, what weight do you use for your jump/break? Same as your playing cue? More? Less?

Julian
I'm in the lighter-is-better camp. Mine is at 18 and some change. My player is around 20.

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great deal even at $129 and free shipping. I have used this one for 4 years now and I am very happy with it.

Like what i read about this cue the engineering behind it makes seance with way each shaft has its own tip and ferule for the sole purpose.wow.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member

Julian

I myself like for my break cue to be close to my preferred weight of my playing cue, which is 19 oz. It could be plus or minus an ounce, I'm not overly picky about it.

Maniac

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Julian

Brent Romine

BRomine Cues

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The shaft of a jump cue should be light and deflect out of the way of the upcoming cue ball.

The shaft of a break cue should be stiff so as to transfer maximum energy to the CB.

These two properties are not commensurate.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
The shaft of a jump cue should be light and deflect out of the way of the upcoming cue ball.

The shaft of a break cue should be stiff so as to transfer maximum energy to the CB.

These two properties are not commensurate.

But yet many people to this day are using a jump/break cue for jumping. I've even seen a few pro speed players that still use them. The J/B cue still works as intended. Maybe not the best of both worlds, but IMO good enough for the low-level tournament or league player.

For serious play, I have dedicated break and jump cues. But here at the house I just break-down the inexpensive Action J/B cue I have in the rack for informal jumping, and it works fine. Strangely, I have found out through experimentation that the cue works better as a jumper by leaving the middle part of the cue off and just screwing the handle directly onto the shaft (although it doesn't meet the legal length requirements).

Maniac

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That McDermott (Star) that your considering has two different joint pins. The shaft uses a large pin screwing into a non-collared shaft which is thinner at the joint than normal because it's shorter. Personally I would avoid breaking with the cue and never jump.

As a travel cue it's perfect for motorcycle touring which is why I have one. In a car, never. And if I'm riding someplace local I carry a standard two piece cased across the bars rubberbanded to the mirrors. Long touring use only.

It will fit into any carry on luggage or suitcase for air travel. BTW the second joint is a quick release.